• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Key Bronze Age DC?

11 posts in this topic

We touched on this before here.

But never really boiled it down to a short list. So here would be my choices for the keyest of the key.

Green Lantern / Green Arrow 76, 85, 86

Detective Comics 395, 400

Batman 232, 234, 251

Shadow 1

Swamp Thing 1, 7 (arguably)

New Gods 1, 7

Forever People 1

Jimmy Olsen 133, 134

Superman 233

House of Secrets 92

Wonder Woman 199, 200

Honorable Mentions: Batman 237, 243, 244; Detective 437, 443; Mr. Miracle 9, Adventure 431, Teen Titans 25, Superboy/Legion 197, 200; JLA 94, 100, 101, 102, 107, 108.

See also the thread on Best DC Bronze Age Runs .

Cheers,

Z.

First Issue Special # 8 -Warlord

Detective Comics# 463-468-Marshall Rodgers art in back up.Feature art in 468

Detective Comics# 471-476-Acclaimed Marshall Rodgers/Terry Austin work.

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #5-Love Stories

Supergirl#1(1st series)

Superboy/LSH #202(can you guess why?) wink.gif , #203-First full Mike Grell art.

Shazam #1

Dark Mansion Of Forbidden Love #1

...and many more comics that fans seek out each and every day....

..that I just can't think of....

..oh well....

Most of that is great stuff, Bronze...

but I'd personally not include Supergirl #1 or Shazam #1.

Oh, and believe the 'Calculator' backup series started without Marshall Rogers. He came aboard for the Green Arrow and Hawkman chapters. Great art, but those issues get marked down a couple of points for the scripting. Of course, by the time Englehart and Rogers got together on #471 that was not a problem. Detective #471-476 are truly a high water mark for 1970s super-hero comics.

Superboy #202 is a great choice, not only first Grell, but the last Cockrum Legion. Wonder whatever happened to Dave Cockrum anyway? Always felt he had the potential to someday work on another fan-favorite super-team... wink.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

Z.

Cockrum,like everyone else who worked long and hard,finally succumbed to *burn-out*

It happened to Aparo

It happened to Grell

Dillin and Kane(Gil,not Bob)died before they could..."die"....

Marshall Rodgers.....

Curt Swan kept on evolving....even as he stayed the *same*.....

Murphy Anderson...covered who he could.....and did a fine job....

Nick Cardy.......my favorite cover artist of the 70's(*my* 70's)

Irv Novick.......long may you *wave*........

Giordano.....I never learned how to pronounce your name until those pizza ads came on TV......

Neal Adams.....Fox was right....your new work will never approach your *classics*.........

..and neither will you.....

Bob Brown...Neal once said you were one of his favorite artists.....Superboy will always be *yours*

Mike"Funky"Nassar......heir apparent to Adams throne...you disappeared..

why...?

CC Beck.....like Carl Barks,you were born to rule....

Kurt Schaffenberger(sp?).......Lois ,Lana,Nightwing and Firebird......all owe you....

Ross Andru......you drew both Superman and Spiderman.....you were the natural choice for the.."Battle of the Century"........

Bernard Baily...you gave us a hero who could never really ..........~~*die*~~

Carmine Infantino...........from artist to publisher to artist again....*wow*

Joe Kubert....I saw your "Comic Book Course" in a book store today...

I still wonder why Neal can't come up with one....like *yours*.....

The ultimate "Sgt. Rock" movie is yet to come...

Frank Miller....."The Dark Knight" will return as a TV mini...

..or at least it should......

Charles Moulton and Harry G. Peter.....It's a "Wonder" you could write and draw a "Woman"...so..well...

Bob Kane.......you did it for all of "mystery men"....and their sidekicks to follow...

Jerry Seigel and Joe Shuster....

I think the "Twin Towers" were for....*you*..................

Alex Ross.......

observe the "above" and know that your career is just beginning......

...and to those who are still on the outside wanting to break in.....

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cockrum,like everyone else who worked long and hard,finally succumbed to *burn-out*

I heard that Cockrum had some type of problem with his drawing hand. He was taking on commission work for awhile but was unable to draw for long stints of time. Unsure on what exactly the problem was, whether it was physical or mental.

Mike"Funky"Nassar......heir apparent to Adams throne...you disappeared..

Nasser moved away to Isreal I believe. He returned in the 90s & used the name Mike Netzer in his comic work. Worked for both DC & Image I think.

I loved Cardy's cover work on Aquaman & the Teen Titans also, classic stuff. For some reason I never was that attracted to his interior work.

Mark

Sorry guys and gals, Grells first DC job was his Aquaman back up stories in Adventures Comics. I know this for a fact. He told the story in the old DC fAnzinze, Amazing World of DC comics. He got an invite to see the Editor, I think Julie Schwartz, and he walked out of the office with the Aquaman job. Greggy can check that fact, he pwns that issue, It was the first time I ever saw his art. Afetr a couple of those jobs, they offered him Superboy, after Cockrum left for Marvel and the X-Men. If you want to see some of his best work, I think he did 435, 436, 437. He also did some great Backup Green Arrow stuff, in Action Comics, but that going back 25+ years, I may be off on that.

I met him in 1976 and bought about 25 pages of art. He signed everyone to me, he did that back then. I have since sold it all, covers, splashes, some great stuff.

Sorry guys and gals, Grells first DC job was his Aquaman back up stories in Adventures Comics. I know this for a fact.

It's been awhile since I looked this over, but I believe while the Aquaman backup was indeed his first assignment, the Superboy story was actually published a few months earlier.

Sorry guys and gals, Grells first DC job was his Aquaman back up stories in Adventures Comics

Yes, I do think that is the case. Did not mean to imply 202 was Grell's first work ever, just his first Legion job. (inks over Cockrum pencils until 203).

Another early Grell job seldom seen is the Deadman/Phantom Stranger teamup in PS #33.

Cheers,

Z.