• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harbinger - 1992 Valiant Series -yay or nay?

10 posts in this topic

Depends strongly on condition of the early books. Is the 0 blue or pink?

In general, if the early books are 8.5-9.0, $100 is a more realistic full retail price.

I agree. $75 to $100 is typical for this run and IMHO, well worth it.

Thanks for the Feedback guys. The #0 is blue by the way. I'm not really sure about the coupons. I'll have to check.

Do you think Valiant comics are good for collecting in terms of value/speculation, or more for reading? I'm a bit torn on this, as it's been up and down with them in my opinion. But Valiant seems to making a comeback as a publisher in general? You think this will hold?

I don't really know about increasing in value but there were a lot of good titles worth reading from the Valiant days. I really liked X-O, Magnus, bloodshot, Harbinger, Eternal Warrior, and the list just keeps going. I think you are causing me to want to go back and read a few of these lol

Thanks for the Feedback guys. The #0 is blue by the way. I'm not really sure about the coupons. I'll have to check.

Do you think Valiant comics are good for collecting in terms of value/speculation, or more for reading? I'm a bit torn on this, as it's been up and down with them in my opinion. But Valiant seems to making a comeback as a publisher in general? You think this will hold?

With an extraordinarily small number of exceptions, you probably should not be buying any 1990s books in 9.0-ish condition for speculation. Valiant, Marvel, DC, etc. On the other hand, these books have held some value over time as a reading set when sold as a full run, so I think it would be likely you could resell the set at about what you paid.

For someone just wanting to read the original Harbinger run, you can save yourself money and get one of the TPBs that reprint 0-4. Or get the 1-6 with the coupons removed. The coupons are reprinted in the #0. Or get the 2007 hardcover that reprints 0-7. 8 and 9 have been reprinted in the Unity trades but those are more expensive than the regular issues. The rest have never been reprinted so you will need to collect those.

On your larger point, does pre-unity and VH1 Valiant have value upside from here? My opinion is yes, but I am just as likely wrong as right.

Thanks for the input guys. It's very much appreciated. I think I'll go for the set for reading purposes. I've been hearing so many good things, I'll have to see myself :-)

I think I'll have to pay the premium as well, cause it's the first run of it's kind I've seen in Germany yet.

I do not consider them to be good investments over the long haul. For reading, buy either the hardback or the softcover and fill in the rest at bulk rates. If you pay more than 25¢ for anything after issue #7, you are paying too much. Don't waste your time reading anything past issue #25. To put things in perspective, I bought three long boxes of Valiant & Acclaim comics at 4¢ a copy average and that was avoiding anything printed in 1993 & 1994. Despite the low amount paid, I strongly regret buying anything released past 1992.

DG

The time to buy Valiants as an investment was 1998 - 2001 when they were dead to most collectors, and more importantly, LCSs that had them sitting in the back or in 25 cent bins that would take any offer you made them, even for all of the incentive issues. For a lot of the books, the peak for raw resale value was in 2003-2004 or so as a lot of collectors jumped back in.

If you are looking longer term, just focus on the first four issues of each run, if that, and Solar 10 and Magnus 12, plus the last issues of the longer running titles. You can also chase the incentive books, but focus on the big ones first.