• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All American Comics #18 CGC 7.0 OW ~ below GPA~ 1st Atom app NEW PRICE

24 posts in this topic

Can you please tell me what is the cover depicting? Is GL trying to destroy that plane or save it.

That aircraft is a German Stuka dive-bomber. Look at the swept wings and the bomb in the undercarriage. The plane is about to dive-bomb the New York World's Fair. GL is zapping the cockpit area.

Thanks for that attentive detail :applause:

You're welcome! I built a Stuka model plane (Monogram kit) when I was a kid, and I'm a WWII aviation buff, so I'm pretty familiar with the aircraft. My guess is that the editor at National Comics/DC directed Shelly not to draw any swastika (which would have appeared on the fin) or iron cross (which would have appeared on the wing and fuselage) because Germany and the United States were not at war with each other. A beautiful and historically fascinating cover.

Stuka.jpg

Can you please tell me what is the cover depicting? Is GL trying to destroy that plane or save it.

That aircraft is a German Stuka dive-bomber. Look at the swept wings and the bomb in the undercarriage. The plane is about to dive-bomb the New York World's Fair. GL is zapping the cockpit area.

And yet another morsel of trivia, those structures at the World's Fair are called the trylon and perisphere. They were built out of plaster sheeting affixed to steel frames and demolished after the fair and the steel recycled to be use in the war effort.

And yet another morsel of trivia, those structures at the World's Fair are called the trylon and perisphere. They were built out of plaster sheeting affixed to steel frames and demolished after the fair and the steel recycled to be use in the war effort.

Thanks for the insight, Bob :applause:

If that doesn't add up! :o Part of this cover's depicted history helped win WWII :banana: