• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Affleck is Batman!

624 posts in this topic

I'll give a chance. Had a problem with Keaton being cast. Got over that real fast after, "I'm Batman". Question is, who are the baddies?

Ben Affleck has delivered in the past few movies he has been in.

Check out the movie "The Company Men" where he has to work for his home contractor brother-in-law, Kevin Costner, after he is laid off from a six-figure corporate salary. For what could have been a minor movie, it turns out to be a very emotional film where Affleck demonstrates his serious side with no humor involved. And the character he plays has to eat a lot of humble pie as he goes out for jobs he would have never considered before while he runs into former co-workers that are also learning to adjust their lives accordingly.

Worth the watch!

Okay those who think Ben is a good actor. Lets try this experiment, go to redbox or Netflix. Then rent daredevil. Here we see Ben pretending to be a blind person...lol it's actually sad and funny in a "I should have never been made" type of feeling... Here's an example. What ever Role Tom Hanks gets its usually good. He's a good actor. Clearly Ben isn't a super hero type. If doubts please watch daredevil.

The Director’s Cut makes Daredevil a far better film than the one that was released in theaters. Anyone who hasn't seen it, but is still a person_without_enough_empathying about Daredevil ten years after the fact, should give it a shot. Daredevil may not be the best comic adaptation to come along, but it definitely isn’t the worst.

Plus, if Joss Whedon gives him the (thumbs u then I'll wait and see what they deliver before passing judgement. Affleck will crush it

Watching the news today they did a segment on Affleck as Batman and a talking-head mentioned another actor. As soon as they said it I couldn't agree more:

Timothy Olyphant

A little too lanky on Justified, but trainers and regimen could deal with that. Looking back I've enjoyed all the action/thriller roles of his I've seen. Die Hard 4, A Perfect Getaway, The Crazies ...

Olyphant's pretty good at psychologically-dangerous characters with calm exteriors, like a Bruce Wayne. A "jaded" good-guy counterpart to Cavill's Clark Kent .

tim-3.jpg

Wish Deadwood was still going. He makes a great Clint Eastwood type character. Would have loved to see him as Jonah Hex or re-start the Dirty Harry franchise.

I've liked him in everything I've seen him.

I concur. He was even good in Hitman.

Watching the news today they did a segment on Affleck as Batman and a talking-head mentioned another actor. As soon as they said it I couldn't agree more:

Timothy Olyphant

A little too lanky on Justified, but trainers and regimen could deal with that. Looking back I've enjoyed all the action/thriller roles of his I've seen. Die Hard 4, A Perfect Getaway, The Crazies ...

Olyphant's pretty good at psychologically-dangerous characters with calm exteriors, like a Bruce Wayne. A "jaded" good-guy counterpart to Cavill's Clark Kent .

tim-3.jpg

Wish Deadwood was still going. He makes a great Clint Eastwood type character. Would have loved to see him as Jonah Hex or re-start the Dirty Harry franchise.

I've liked him in everything I've seen him.

I concur. He was even good in Hitman.

I forgot about him being in that movie.

I know people in this thread have mentioned the initial backlash to Ledger and the Joker, but has anyone mentioned the backlash to Damon and Bourne?

I remember the fans (and there are millions) of the Bourne trilogy wringing their hands in the was comic fans are doing so now over Affleck over the choice.

Having watched Damon transform himself into Bourne, to the point where it's almost impossible to imagine someone else in the role, I have learned to wait and see before knee-jerking.

Whatever angst there was about Damon as Bourne, there was 10x as much about Daniel Craig as James Bond. I enjoyed the three Damon Bourne films, though never felt he was a good fit for the character as he was written by Ludlum. In the end, though, it didn't matter - he made the role his own. Same goes for Craig - he is NOTHING like how Fleming wrote Bond (contrary to what the poseurs who have never actually read Fleming say), but he has absolutely owned that role since taking it over, to the point where he IS James Bond to many people.

Like I said before, I'm expecting good things from Affleck as Batman. I don't know whether he will be better than Bale, but I wouldn't knee-jerk rule out that possibility. Bale's Batman wasn't perfect, and his Bruce Wayne I felt could certainly be improved upon - he didn't have the right look for me (looked more like a trained killer than a fun-loving billionaire playboy) and the fact that he's not American I felt showed through at times. I suspect that Affleck will surpass Bale as Wayne, though whether he can match up when under the cowl will be a more difficult task IMO. 2c

Okay those who think Ben is a good actor. Lets try this experiment, go to redbox or Netflix. Then rent daredevil. Here we see Ben pretending to be a blind person...lol it's actually sad and funny in a "I should have never been made" type of feeling... Here's an example. What ever Role Tom Hanks gets its usually good. He's a good actor. Clearly Ben isn't a super hero type. If doubts please watch daredevil.

The Director’s Cut makes Daredevil a far better film than the one that was released in theaters. Anyone who hasn't seen it, but is still a person_without_enough_empathying about Daredevil ten years after the fact, should give it a shot. Daredevil may not be the best comic adaptation to come along, but it definitely isn’t the worst.

Plus, if Joss Whedon gives him the (thumbs u then I'll wait and see what they deliver before passing judgement. Affleck will crush it

I have to agree with the Daredevil Director's Cut. I've watched it twice over the years, and enjoyed it each time.

And that was really cool of Joss Whedon after all the negative news, though I wouldn't have expected him to post something nasty.

I know people in this thread have mentioned the initial backlash to Ledger and the Joker, but has anyone mentioned the backlash to Damon and Bourne?

I remember the fans (and there are millions) of the Bourne trilogy wringing their hands in the was comic fans are doing so now over Affleck over the choice.

Having watched Damon transform himself into Bourne, to the point where it's almost impossible to imagine someone else in the role, I have learned to wait and see before knee-jerking.

Whatever angst there was about Damon as Bourne, there was 10x as much about Daniel Craig as James Bond. I enjoyed the three Damon Bourne films, though never felt he was a good fit for the character as he was written by Ludlum. In the end, though, it didn't matter - he made the role his own. Same goes for Craig - he is NOTHING like how Fleming wrote Bond (contrary to what the poseurs who have never actually read Fleming say), but he has absolutely owned that role since taking it over, to the point where he IS James Bond to many people.

Like I said before, I'm expecting good things from Affleck as Batman. I don't know whether he will be better than Bale, but I wouldn't knee-jerk rule out that possibility. Bale's Batman wasn't perfect, and his Bruce Wayne I felt could certainly be improved upon - he didn't have the right look for me (looked more like a trained killer than a fun-loving billionaire playboy) and the fact that he's not American I felt showed through at times. I suspect that Affleck will surpass Bale as Wayne, though whether he can match up when under the cowl will be a more difficult task IMO. 2c

+1

As good as the Nolan Batman films were I have always felt that Bale was the weakest link in that chain, especially when he was in the cowl. Where he came up with that voice and thought it worked with the character, I will never understand.

http://io9.com/the-50-greatest-tweets-about-ben-afflecks-casting-as-1188521731 lol

Chase Mitchell @ChaseMit

In the Ben Affleck version, Batman's parents kill themselves. :o

This made me lol

I think he'll be good enough. Said it before, Batman isn't the toughest of roles. He's got the look and the size.

People were going to blitch no matter who was cast. The guy playing Supes isn't a big star (yet), and you know the studios like to put in a name or two.

Sign all the petitions you want, they aren't going to recast it.

tumblr_ml24sobFUb1qb9pa3o1_500.gif

Heh... demonstrating once again how Kevin Smith truly understands the internet age.

:gossip:

Kevin Smith between 1994 to 2001 was pretty damn good, but he has seemed to have gone in the opposite direction of Ben Affleck career wise.

While Affleck has won an Oscar recently I can`t seem to remember the last hit Kevin Smith has?

Oh yeah it was way back in 2001 with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

:)

The teen heartthrob from 10 Things I Hate About You can be the Joker, but people freak out about a rich, good looking white guy playing Bruce Wayne (a rich, good looking white guy). I don't get the negative reactions.

Bottom line-- WB won't let him, or this movie fail. This may be their most important movie they ever make, as it's seriously CRITICAL to the future of their superhero biz. If this movie sucks or gets flack, it'll ruin the momentum for Justice League, Supes, or any of the other properties they're hoping to develop for a very long time, and seriously erode any favor they've gained after the Nolan films, and now Man of Steel.

Ben's also had a good run with the Town and Argo. Both of those were great, and it definitely seems when he's into it, he can act his butt off. OK, I sound like his mom and am way too defensive, but c'mon you guys! It won't be another Daredevil.

...Right?

Heh... demonstrating once again how Kevin Smith truly understands the internet age.

Kevin Smith between 1994 to 2001 was pretty damn good, but he has seemed to have gone in the opposite direction of Ben Affleck career wise.

While Affleck has won an Oscar recently I can`t seem to remember the last hit Kevin Smith has?

Dogma was pretty good!

Dogma was pretty good!

Dogma was made in 1999.

We are getting old like Kevin Smith!

:o

+1

As good as the Nolan Batman films were I have always felt that Bale was the weakest link in that chain, especially when he was in the cowl. Where he came up with that voice and thought it worked with the character, I will never understand.

As much as I dislike Affleck as an actor, Bale's nasally person_without_enough_empathyy batman was the worst part for me too. He had the right amount of angst and anger, but he was soooo nasally! I wish Jackman's Wolverine was as sour as Bale was, but once the cowl was on, it drove me nuts! Affleck will be totally different and not what we're use to, but overall might be an ok change.