• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's 1993 and in the days before CGC...

32 posts in this topic

... Are any boardies seen in this video within the first 12 minutes or so?

It's an hour long but pretty good.

Just a little dated though lol

This video is cool. Thanks for posting it.

"90 million comic books sold each month" -- presumably in 1993 (@ 2:28). Don't know how accurate that is, but even if it's the accurate number is half of 90MM, that's pretty astounding.

Considering there were some books with print runs at almost a million copies, and the total number of books that were coming out every week, it might be an over-exaggeration, but probably not as much as people think. Especially if it means comics that were "sold/shipped" to the comic shops, and not necessarily sold to customers.

There are still tons of these books buried away due to the fact that the vast majority were crud, are there not? :tonofbricks:

"90 million comic books sold each month" -- presumably in 1993 (@ 2:28). Don't know how accurate that is, but even if it's the accurate number is half of 90MM, that's pretty astounding.

Considering there were some books with print runs at almost a million copies, and the total number of books that were coming out every week, it might be an over-exaggeration, but probably not as much as people think. Especially if it means comics that were "sold/shipped" to the comic shops, and not necessarily sold to customers.

I think it's likely a pretty substantial exaggeration. The dm sold 100 million comics in the entire year of 1997, just four years later. There definitely would have been a significant drop in those four years, but I doubt it's that big.

I can't see the video. Is it the Overstreet one?

Yeah. Overstreet's World of Comics. Almost an hour long.

I have that on VHS :)

:eek:

I don't even have a VCR anymore. lol

I think it's likely a pretty substantial exaggeration. The dm sold 100 million comics in the entire year of 1997, just four years later. There definitely would have been a significant drop in those four years, but I doubt it's that big.

But 1993 had a lot bigger DM and newsstand market than in 1997. Also look at how many publishers went down in flames from 93 to 97. There were also a lot fewer titles being offered from Marvel, DC, Image, and Dark Horse. And print runs dropped around 50-85% in that time period. 50-60 million is probably a closer number than 90 million.

Bought one of those DVD/VCR combos a few years back. I still have way too many VHS tapes.

Can't remember the source, but it seems like I read it somewhere here on the site that during the early 90's the 100th best selling issue every month still had more copies sold than the top seller at present, so that would mean that the top 100 books each month back then would've sold at least 100k issues a month.

Can't remember the source, but it seems like I read it somewhere here on the site that during the early 90's the 100th best selling issue every month still had more copies sold than the top seller at present, so that would mean that the top 100 books each month back then would've sold at least 100k issues a month.

100k issues a month was for the C list titles. X-Men and Amazing were over 500,000k a month, easy.

Bought one of those DVD/VCR combos a few years back. I still have way too many VHS tapes.

:applause: