• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

@Slym: You know that I hold you in high esteem, but I think basically tech was right, because there is no need to laugh at an offer, especially now that the new rules seem to warrant balance. (thumbs u

topcat is obviously understanding better and better the balance between offers and the thread dynamics – maybe he just did not think to write "pick XX offers": we know it is a thread meant to give away comics (or comic related stuff) you don’t need or no longer are interested to keep, but we also see it’s just fair to offer something which could be balanced in terms of interest and/or value, even if this is implicit. The new rules bring balance (and safeguard integrity, giving also hints on the dynamic of "giving"), so I guess it’s the best solution so far.

What I mean in general is that you have great qualities, but there is not the constant need to re-affirm yourself: your intellectual (and moral) qualities are more than often evident, and by adopting that sneering attitude, you just alienate them.

And criticizing your offers (and via PM with tech) was totally uncalled for for those who may have done so, especially considered we all encouraged your participation in the thread.

While legitimate criticism is always a great thing, I really think everyone’s pride needs to be left at the door when entering the PIF thread.

BTW, we will never be able to judge the "generosity" of an offer.

I took up an awesome offer, and I could have added something to my Smurfs magazine when I mailed out mine to shazzzam, but I had too many things on my mind to find the time to look for something, and so I didn’t.

I thought about it just afterwards, but I knew I could have done better.

How high is the bar in value in of items I have to offer in the PIF? I think that was rude to laugh at what was offered. It's like people are trying to out do each other in this thread in value of what they offer and if somebody doesn't reach that bar they are looked at as "cheap". I own all of the Ninjak books and have a TPB of the Squadron Supreme, but if I needed any of those I would like to have taken them.

As far as the Ninjak only being a 25 cent book, in a lot of places some of these books are hard to find and paying $1.00 plus $3-$4 shipping on eBay doesn't cut it. Just because it may have no value to me doesn't mean that it doesn't hold any value to somebody else.

Because of how high the bar is now in offering items I have not been partaking in the thread. I would have to give up some of my $50 books just have something taken in order to keep what I chose. I am living off of disability and don't have a lot of money to give up what I have accumulated just to take something from the PIF and I am afraid that what I could offer up wouldn't pass other people's screening.

Isn't the PIF thread a venue to where people can get things for their collection and/or something they can read that they normally couldn't get themselves? It seems that value of the offer is what the focus of what the thread has become. To me the value of getting the Maxi series of Squadron Supreme may be more than a graded current comic. It may not be to you, but it may be to me.

To me the value of getting the Maxi series of Squadron Supreme may be more than a graded current comic.

Quick... take it before someone beats you to it. You never know when you'll get this kind of opportunity again.

That's all you got out of that? :facepalm:

How high is the bar in value in of items I have to offer in the PIF?

Taken from the rules on the 1st page of the PiF thread:

RULES:

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

There is no value to be discussed as far as PiF is concerned. It helps avoid the mental dilemma that you've outlined. Claim what you like and offer what you like in return. With the newly implemented rules change, there is no risk or big concern if no one claims something you've offered.

To me the value of getting the Maxi series of Squadron Supreme may be more than a graded current comic.

Quick... take it before someone beats you to it. You never know when you'll get this kind of opportunity again.

That's all you got out of that? :facepalm:

Relax. Just messin' with ya. :) I don't take 'comic', 'funny', 'joke' book discussions too seriously. Know what I mean?

comic book

joke book

funny books

I'm not ever going to take those words seriously. I just can't. They were never meant to be. Just because someone decided to start putting them in plastic one day, doesn't change what the essence of this hobby is about. Fun.