• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

I'm not being snarky here, this is an honest question - are you guys tracking this stuff? Because I've just been looking at whatever the current offer is without really any regard to who is posting it or what they claimed. It never really occurred to me to pay any attention to anybody's claiming history or anything. But apparently I'm in the minority there?

It's called a memory.

Although I must admit mine is not what is used to be. But come on, he's been doing it for a year and a half. At some point everyone with a functioning brain would just notice what he's been doing.

I'm not being snarky here, this is an honest question - are you guys tracking this stuff? Because I've just been looking at whatever the current offer is without really any regard to who is posting it or what they claimed. It never really occurred to me to pay any attention to anybody's claiming history or anything. But apparently I'm in the minority there?

It's called a memory.

Although I must admit mine is not what is used to be. But come on, he's been doing it for a year and a half. At some point everyone with a functioning brain would just notice what he's been doing.

Well, it's true, I don't really remember these things. For instance, I have no memory of your previous offerings in the PIF thread either. Given how quick you are to call other people's offering junk, however, I presume they were really good.

Not much traction on my question about starting a trading post thread. Not enough interest to bother?

I suggest we just leave the PIF thread to swapping trinkets, dollar books, TPB's, and other items of little or no value, and create a real trading thread. I'll start the thread but would like a little feedback first to see if people even want it.

My suggestion in the past was to create a thread as such:

1.) The player at bat offers up something for trade (I'll volunteer to be player #1).

2.) Anyone and everyone can make trade offers.

3.) The player batting can either accept one of the trades, or decline them all.

4.) If he accepts one of the trades, the person who's trade was accepted can now offer something up for trade and everyone/anyone can make trade offers.

5.) If the person at bat declines all trade offers after 24 hours, anyone else can step up to the plate and make an offer.

That was my original idea, if people want something like this and want to help me iron out the system, rules, and what not I'll be happy to help get this rolling.

Not much traction on my question about starting a trading post thread. Not enough interest to bother?

I suggest we just leave the PIF thread to swapping trinkets, dollar books, TPB's, and other items of little or no value, and create a real trading thread. I'll start the thread but would like a little feedback first to see if people even want it.

1.) The player at bat offers up something for trade (I'll volunteer to be player #1).

3.) The player batting can either accept one of the trades, or decline them all.

4.) If he accepts one of the trades, the person who's trade was accepted can now offer something up for trade and everyone/anyone can make trade offers.

5.) If the person at bat declines all trade offers after 24 hours, anyone else can step up to the plate and make an offer.

That was my original idea, if people want something like this and want to help me iron out the system, rules, and what not I'll be happy to help get this rolling.

I think this idea is awesome.

Suggestions, flaws or ideas for the rules you'd like to offer? Also where does a thread like this belong, Comics General, one of the marketplace sub forums (which one)?

Suggestions, flaws or ideas for the rules you'd like to offer? Also where does a thread like this belong, Comics General, one of the marketplace sub forums (which one)?

I think it's a fine idea.

As to where it should go, anywhere other than Comics General would be my vote. I think putting PIF in Comics General to begin with was the biggest mistake made.

I've already stated that I think a trading forum or thread would be a great idea.

A forum would be ideal, but I can't see CGC ever modifying its structure to allow one.

The next best approach would be a dedicated thread for it. The problem with the thread is its linearity. A solution to this could be a spreadsheet or an ongoing list that is referenced in the test area. Ideally, I think you want some way of combining what is offered to what is acceptable as a trade on a large scale.

Alternatively, you could try the one-at-a-time at bat approach which has a certain in-the-moment appeal to it and would be easier to implement. The only problem being that it will probably be more difficult to find acceptable trades to the offers in a sequential type format.

Doesn't the WTB section sort of fit this? I've seen people put up what they want to trade and what they are looking for...

To be clear, I really like the idea of a trading section but like others have said, I don't think a single thread would be very organized.

Unreal what some people will try to do in that PIF thread. Seriously, unreal.

Law of averages (shrug)

I think some people will prey upon whatever they can prey upon especially when people are too genteel and/or place roadblocks into nipping that activity in the bud.

I'd be totally down for something like this.

I'd be totally down for something like this.

What about incorporating some rules regarding value? If the sniff test is that the offer is within, say, 20% then all is good to go. If it is way out of whack like say some dink offering up a $5 book for the $80 worth of slabs he just took, then the said dink is told to pound sand. Three dink moves and you are banned?

Just spit balling.

Law of averages (shrug)

I think some people will prey upon whatever they can prey upon especially when people are too gentile and/or place roadblocks into nipping that activity in the bud.

To be blunt,we see this happen a decent amount in the marketplace where people beat others down on price with a sob story or the "it's for my collection" line or the"my name is GIJOEISAWESOME and I am roaring sociopath" trick and end up selling it immediately after.

I may be cynical but seeing this happen in a well intentioned thread does not surprise me. Make a trading thread and rule it up.

Pay it forward in the real world or with your friends around here.

I may be cynical but seeing this happen in a well intentioned thread does not surprise me. Make a trading thread and rule it up.

Yeah, I think I'm with you on this one.

I'm all for Pay It Forward in the real world and was a very excited about that thread but it's been nothing but trouble. When it's localized and concentrated it's just too much temptation to resist for people who can't reciprocate. Real sad.

A trading thread and PIF done spontaneously and on the low down would probably make more sense at this point.

Law of averages (shrug)

I think some people will prey upon whatever they can prey upon especially when people are too gentile and/or place roadblocks into nipping that activity in the bud.

To be blunt,we see this happen a decent amount in the marketplace where people beat others down on price with a sob story or the "it's for my collection" line or the"my name is GIJOEISAWESOME and I am roaring sociopath" trick and end up selling it immediately after.

This! I have been doing this a lot lately (and others have done it for me) and it feels nice to give my boardie friends that I now consider real life friends something cool.

This would me a good time for me to give a shout out to MANICNERD who sent me the new J. Scott Campbell Black Cat Variant Superior Spiderman 29.. It just arrived today. Thanks buddy!!!! :whee:

With all of the discussion regarding PIF lately, I've been quietly lurking. I don't want to take anything unless I'm positive I could put up some decent stuff that someone would want. :shy:

But Cemetery's "offer" tonight. :facepalm: Good Lord! :boo:

I like the idea of the trading thread. It's sad that PIF is subject to these parasites. It is such a terrific idea. :(

This weekend was a perfect example of how the thread should run. Take out the fact that it was a high value items, that does not matter. It was the fact that everyone was making awesome attempts to claim cool stuff and offer comparable cool stuff in return. When it runs like that with the good members it is one of the most exciting threads on the boards even to just watch.