• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

The new additions seem like they would work and prevent this sort of thing. But say big.daddy took cemetery's AWESOME offer. That means that cemetery automatically gets Paul's generous offer and what if no one takes big.daddy's offer ... that's it? (shrug) Someone has to start it up again? :(

Couldn't the junk donkey's just get together and agree to take each other's terrific offerings knowing they could cheat the system? :eek:

I'm sorry if this has all been discussed here and I'm just doh! - just trying to figure out what happens now?

Yeah Harvey,

There was not absolute fix. Shadiness in a thread like this will always win in the short term. The thinking behind the rule change of the last offer being put back up was to prevent one lone donkey from being able to claim something awesome and offering 4 quarter bin comics in return. There is no way to prevent multiple donkeys from working together. There is also no way to prevent someone from taking a follow-up offer based on principle.

That's kind of sad though that a few ruin it for everyone. :(

Why not limit the amount of times Person A can take something from Person B and also add in a three strikes provision - if you offer up something on three separate occasions that no one takes, you're banned from PIF. (shrug)

Believe me - I'm excited for the trading thread and I think it will keep this garbage out. But it's also sad to see something like the PIF thread just die because of people that prey on other's generosity.

That would be extremely hard to keep track of and really hasn't been the root of the problem. When someone offers up something a fraction of what they took even if it is an ok item, everyone would have to agree not to take it on principle. That will never happen.

That's kind of sad though that a few ruin it for everyone. :(

Why not limit the amount of times Person A can take something from Person B

Because this wasn't the only issue. Some people were taking what others believed to be sub-par offers in order to keep things moving.

and also add in a three strikes provision - if you offer up something on three separate occasions that no one takes, you're banned from PIF. (shrug)

That would be harsh imo. If there's a period of strong activity as there was over the weekend then many people can be ruled out of claiming anything for a week. Anyway, as said above, a lot of the offers that many didn't like WERE claimed eventually, either to keep things moving or because the recipients really wanted them. Nobody has been caught by the 4 day rule yet.

I'd do it. Just make a log on the first post. (shrug)

VERY EASY.

04/02 - cemetery --> Big.Daddy (1)

04/04 - Big.Daddy x

08/03 - John Smith --> CAHokie (1)

09/17 - cemetery --> Big.Daddy (2)

The number in the parentheses will be the number of take it's by one to another.

The x will be the number of strikes.

This can all be sorted out, but it's not any different than updating one of the clubs which I do everytime someone adds a book. ;)

A few minor tweaks to the rules for the Trading Post thread that Balham's Finest helped me flesh out, for people to review before I start the thread tonight.

Trading Post Thread Rules At a Glance

• The "Trader", a forum member in good standing, can put an item up on the trading block for a specified time period up to a max 24 hours.

• There can only be one "Trader" active and posting an item to the trading block at a time.

• The "Trader" can give requests for what they're looking for in trade in dollar value or item specifics.

• Anyone not banned from the thread or on the HOS/PL can submit what they would like to offer in trade for the item on the trading block over the time period set by the "Trader".

• Once you've posted a trade offer/proposal it can not be withdrawn.

• At the end of the trade time period, the "Trader" must accept an offer or decline all offers. Quote the offer you're accepting and post that you've accepted the proposal.

• If a trade proposal is accepted, the person who made it has the option to be the next "Trader" and put something on the trading block. They may also decline the option to be the next "Trader" if they want.

• If you're declining to become the next "Trader" make it known quickly so someone else can assume the role of "Trader".

• If no offer is accepted, or the person whose turn is next declines, the first member to post something after the expiry of the trade period (measured by board time stamp) becomes the next "Trader".

Trading Post Thread Details

The current active "Trader" sets the time period for current trade offer (the "Trade Period"). The Trade Period can be no longer than 24 hours but the "Trader" may set it to be shorter if he/she so chooses. The "Trader" can choose to accept one of the trade proposals being offered at any time during the Trade Period, which would also close the current active trade. Members making offers to the "Trader" can't request to end the Trade Period early in an attempt to block other members from making offers.

Trade offers sent to the current active "Trader" can't be private. You must post your offers in the thread publicly so other members can see what they're competing against. Your offer should ideally include images/photos/scans of the item you're offering along with accurate condition/grading information. If you're not great at assigning grades to raw comics, visit the Hey buddy, can you spare a grade sub-forum and ask for opinions.

You can not withdraw a trade proposal to the current "Trader" once you've made it. If you renege on a proposal this will land you on the banned list.

Once a trade offer is accepted, both parties have 72 hours to mail the relevant items, each person is responsible for their own shipping costs. It's strongly suggested to provide tracking in the case of a dispute. Failing to ship quickly, without a strong excuse, will result in being added to the banned list. If you know you will require more time to ship, make a clear notation in your trade offer.

Transactions are at participants' own risk. Don't accept trade offers from someone if you don't think you can trust them, if the images and condition information don't meet your standards, or if your spider-sense is tingling. Ask for more scans, information, or details about an offer if you need it before you accept.

Please keep the chit-chat to a minimum in this thread. Keeping track of the current active trade and trade offers will be difficult enough without the interference of excessive chatter, trolling, and shenanigans. If you want to discuss this thread please do so in the PIF/Trading Post Discussion Thread .

Only forum members in good standing who have been active members for at least 6 months are eligible to participate in the trading post thread. Members on the Probation List or Hall of Shame - please go away. Members who have not found their way to the PL or HOS yet may still be banned from participating under certain circumstances and a list will be maintained here for those members exclusively banned from the Trading Post Thread.

Trading Post Banned List

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggested Trading Post Template

Current Trade: X-men #1 CGC 9.4

gpa_xmen1cgc94.jpg

Condition: CGC Graded 9.4, slab is clean and like new

Additional Info: CGC Cert Num - 0178003004

Shipping Info: US Only

Duration: 24 hours

Want List: Similar value Original Art pieces from early ASM issues or several CGC key books with minimum value of $500 each.

I'd do it. Just make a log on the first post. (shrug)

VERY EASY.

04/02 - cemetery --> Big.Daddy (1)

04/04 - Big.Daddy x

08/03 - John Smith --> CAHokie (1)

09/17 - cemetery --> Big.Daddy (2)

The number in the parentheses will be the number of take it's by one to another.

The x will be the number of strikes.

This can all be sorted out, but it's not any different than updating one of the clubs which I do everytime someone adds a book. ;)

I think it's to a point now that no matter how many rules you put in place people are going to find a way to take advantage. Plus when it gets to the point of writing an entire rule book for the thread the idea of "paying it forward" is basically crushed. It is sad that it can't exist like a majority of people here want it to, but unfortunately it is what it is :(

Edit: Sorry CaHokie, that's basically what you said, I was typing that as you posted (thumbs u

Agreed, the WTT thread should be the same as the PIF, as splitting them up would be counter-productive and there is no need to create a new forum for a single thread.

Would NamesJay agree to modifying his thread?

"the same as PIF" does not mean "replace PIF".

"I'm going to buy the same shirt as Tom has" does not mean I go and rip the shirt off Tom's back.

Or you could just say, "That's not what I meant" and leave out the abrasive comparisons. :)

Why would I say "that's not what I meant" when the meaning is crystal clear? (shrug)

Because sometimes you get crotchety. :gossip:

I finally figured out why joe posts like that all the time.

He's just hungry!

For you, joe:

Stephs-Snickers-Cake-Snickers-bar.jpg

I get what you guys are saying - but there are people in the world that take advantage of others and you can't prevent them from doing it here either.

But if there are strict guidelines in place, you can curb those people from bending the rules. It seemed like the rules you guys put into place work - if you can prevent the donkeys from teaming up. So, just tweak the rule - problem solved. (shrug)

I get what you guys are saying - but there are people in the world that take advantage of others and you can't prevent them from doing it here either.

But if there are strict guidelines in place, you can curb those people from bending the rules. It seemed like the rules you guys put into place work - if you can prevent the donkeys from teaming up. So, just tweak the rule - problem solved. (shrug)

I think the ones who were really trying to keep it going are just tired of it. I don't want to speak for everyone else, that's just the feeling I get.

I jumped in there a couple times a while back and still follow the thread, but with everything that goes on there I just stick to being a spectator. Now I AM really excited to see how this new trading thread works out and am hoping to become involved there!

I specifically DO NOT participate as much as I would like, because I know full well I don't have that much cool stuff that I am willing to part with that is similar to some of the stuff that is offered. Now, I know that is not a requirement, but I have some morals, and it's a requirement for me. This is why the trading thread will be perfect for someone like me.

I specifically DO NOT participate as much as I would like, because I know full well I don't have that much cool stuff that I am willing to part with that is similar to some of the stuff that is offered. Now, I know that is not a requirement, but I have some morals, and it's a requirement for me. This is why the trading thread will be perfect for someone like me.

I’d have loved you to participate! (thumbs u

Anyway, I think the Trade thread will be great, but I want a Gift thread as well! :D

I like most of the rules but the 24hrs seems mighty short to dig out offers to match.

Secondly the 72hr ship great in theory but not very practical. I only ship once a week as I travel to the USA to do so not to mention that getting to the po right away is likely difficult for a number of people.

So can we drop kick Roy :foryou: ?

If you can't ship until a certain date, I don't see any harm in posting that with your offer. For example:

Offering X-Force # 1 CGC .5 but with trading card!

Can ship on Saturday.

I think the 24 hours is too keep it exciting and moving and something people want to keep an eye on to see whats next.

I like most of the rules but the 24hrs seems mighty short to dig out offers to match.

Secondly the 72hr ship great in theory but not very practical. I only ship once a week as I travel to the USA to do so not to mention that getting to the po right away is likely difficult for a number of people.

So can we drop kick Roy :foryou: ?

I don't think the 24 hours to offer a proposal is a problem, personally. It's meant to keep the thread moving and active.

I see your point on the 72 hours to ship. It could be worded something like, ship within 72 hours, unless arrangements are made and agreed upon by both parties.

If you can't ship until a certain date, I don't see any harm in posting that with your offer. For example:

Offering X-Force # 1 CGC .5 but with trading card!

Can ship on Saturday.

I think the 24 hours is too keep it exciting and moving and something people want to keep an eye on to see whats next.

What he said.