• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

I wonder how many people are interested in the Walking Dead #109 but haven't put up their own trade offer because they don't think what they have will be of interest to CAHokie?

This is one area where the structure of the PIF thread makes things easier, because you aren't trying to find something one person wants, you are trying to find something that any one of 50 or more people would be interested in. There's just a bigger spread. Even though CAHokie has said a couple times that he's interested in all sorts of things, a couple people now have said they don't have anything Spidey to trade, so there's at least a perception that there's a narrow window here and it seems to be discouraging some people from making offers.

Is there a way to encourage people to make more offers even if they don't necessarily think CAHokie might be interested? I think having any offers would stimulate more offers and more discussion, not to mention more potential backdoor trading.

Some people could be worried that if they put up an offer that is viewed by other boardies as subpar, they will get jumped on. I mean, nobody wants to get a rep for offering up undervalued items and I know in the PIF thread people have commented a few times that they weren't participating because they were worried nobody would like their offerings. I'm just wondering if some members are gun shy about getting involved because they have trading performance anxiety.

Yes, that was most likely my fault. Maybe I was too specific about what I wanted but I listed that stuff because if it would have been offered, I would have taken it immediately. I should have made a general list like, comic book runs, sketches, spiderman stuff, star wars stuff, anything related to Black Cat, etc..

I also picked an item that might have been too specialized. People who collect JSC campbell sketches, who then want one on a WD cover of a character that is not the ones that he is famous for does not have the same collectibility as his other stuff. Also, the value might have been an inhibitor. Perhaps I should have started off with something in the $20 - $50 range to get things moving the first time.

For me, value and what the board thinks is irrelevant. If someone offered me a CGC Black Cat sketch that was valued at 60%, I most likely would have still taken it because I liked it. Trust me, when you guys put stuff up, I will be offering stuff and will not care what everyone else thinks. It is a deal between the two parties and no one has to accept it. That is the difference between this and PIF. PIF in business terms, you basically claim an item and decide how much you want to give in return. Most people handle it perfectly, but the donkey have it down to a science with a 4-500 % return on their investment.

No big deal. New threads like this take time to get rolling.

This is exactly how the trade thread progressed. When it is just one item for one item, it is like finding a needle in a haystack. Plus, the variables that have already been mentioned play in. If that had been an Abbey Chase on an Image United blank, I would have put up a John Romita SS 20 cent ASM to get it. I also would have PM'd CAHokie to find something to post that would really tempt his tummy for that particular sketch.

I don't think it will take off in a 1 for 1 scenario. And that is OK. We can keep giving a shot. I think it will work much better if people put lots of different stuff up and trades get done.

This is exactly how the trade thread progressed. When it is just one item for one item, it is like finding a needle in a haystack. Plus, the variables that have already been mentioned play in. If that had been an Abbey Chase on an Image United blank, I would have put up a John Romita SS 20 cent ASM to get it. I also would have PM'd CAHokie to find something to post that would really tempt his tummy for that particular sketch.

I don't think it will take off in a 1 for 1 scenario. And that is OK. We can keep giving a shot. I think it will work much better if people put lots of different stuff up and trades get done.

I like what you are saying here, but how would we do it? Do you mean, multiple items from the person up or multiple people offering at the same time? I can see huge benefits from both but logistically unsure how it would work without too much confusion.

I wish I had more time to find something to offer. I think I might have something pretty cool, I just am not sure where it is and wont be able to post it before the 24 hours is up.

Should I post a pending trade offer lol

I like what you are saying here, but how would we do it? Do you mean, multiple items from the person up or multiple people offering at the same time? I can see huge benefits from both but logistically unsure how it would work without too much confusion.

When we do it in the SS Room, the thread is created. Then you claim a "spot" by making a post in the thread. Then you usually have 24-72 hours to edit your "spot" and include everything that is available for trade. Then people can scroll through like a virtually swap meet, look for what they like and start making trade offers. Triston Pence and I did a deal for almost 3k retail one time. And TP did a bigger deal than that, if rumors are true. :)

When we do it in the SS Room, the thread is created. Then you claim a "spot" by making a post in the thread. Then you usually have 24-72 hours to edit your "spot" and include everything that is available for trade. Then people can scroll through like a virtually swap meet, look for what they like and start making trade offers. Triston Pence and I did a deal for almost 3k retail one time. And TP did a bigger deal than that, if rumors are true. :)

That's a great idea.

But no, there was a larger point there for anyone paying attention- that starting a thread off with a rules violation, by the lead rules creator....

By definition, a creator can suspend the rules he has devised.

That is how miracles work, BTW. ;)

Well, no, when God does it, it's called a miracle.

When men do it, it's called sin. Sometimes it's called bureaucracy.

Okay, but it’s not the case here, and tech is an all-around super-nice guy which does the hard work to get things started, so I’m 100% sure it’s not sin and pretty much sure it’s not bureaucracy neither. ;)

Guys...chill out...he's just bustin' yur balls. lol

Well, yes and no.

I mean, yes, obviously.

But no, there was a larger point there for anyone paying attention- that starting a thread off with a rules violation, by the lead rules creator....

I mean, come on. You can't make this stuff up.

Did you bother reading why he did it or did you just want to create some unneeded controversy?

Is this the place where people say that you are supposed to discuss stuff, but then when the stuff you are supposed to discuss is actually discussed, you get told to STFU?

No, this is a place where someone does something awesome for the community, explains why he is going against his own rules in this one case, and someone still has to come in and all over it. And then is told to STFU.

lol

A trading thread is not "someone doing something awesome for the community". It is cool and can be utilized to engender a sense of community but both sides are walking away with something they want.

Someone coming in and pointing out the irony of breaking the rules after lots of people (including the op) have spent weeks (months?)coming up with rules is pretty freaking funny. Do as I say and not as I do is funny.

Being the stereotypical mouth breather, like you and Hulksmash are both doing, is embarrassing.

If I was as heavily invested in the trading thread and were touting a sense of community like you are, I would try my best to not alienate more people by having kittens over someone pointing out the obvious.

Like citing community type stuff and telling someone to STFU in the same sentence.

That's just me though.

What have you done around here Park? Maybe I missed your awesome contributions here but the only thing I really associate with you are some threads where you were being a total :censored: to other board members. I'm sure that's not all you do but that's honestly what I think of when I see your name. So I guess it would make sense that you'd jump in on the side of someone posting a snide remark on the new trading thread. And notice I said on the new trading thread and not just on this discussion thread.

In case you missed it, the idea of a TPB swap was brought up. Techvoodoo took it upon himself and put a lot of hours and (I'm assuming) his own money into building a site for it. From what I've heard the members here who are using it have been really enjoying it. Then, when it was recently mentioned that a trading thread should be created (not the first time I realize) for the members of the PIF who enjoy the idea but were tired of the people taking advantage, Tech steps up again to get the ball rolling. I didn't see anyone else raising their hand to do it (including me) so if he hadn't there is a pretty good chance it wouldn't have happened. Try contributing something positive around here rather than throwing insults at everyone and maybe someone will show you appreciation for something you contribute.

And the person I told to "STFU" which by the way what I actually said was: Did you bother reading why he did it or did you just want to create some unneeded controversy? was just trying to introduce negativity in a thread that like you said "is cool and can be utilized to engender a sense of community". So while I actually didn't tell him to STFU if that's all he is going to contribute to the thread than I'd kindly ask him to troll somewhere else.

What have you done around here Park? Maybe I missed your awesome contributions here but the only thing I really associate with you are some threads where you were being a total :censored: to other board members. I'm sure that's not all you do but that's honestly what I think of when I see your name. So I guess it would make sense that you'd jump in on the side of someone posting a snide remark on the new trading thread. And notice I said on the new trading thread and not just on this discussion thread.

In case you missed it, the idea of a TPB swap was brought up. Techvoodoo took it upon himself and put a lot of hours and (I'm assuming) his own money into building a site for it. From what I've heard the members here who are using it have been really enjoying it. Then, when it was recently mentioned that a trading thread should be created (not the first time I realize) for the members of the PIF who enjoy the idea but were tired of the people taking advantage, Tech steps up again to get the ball rolling. I didn't see anyone else raising their hand to do it (including me) so if he hadn't there is a pretty good chance it wouldn't have happened. Try contributing something positive around here rather than throwing insults at everyone and maybe someone will show you appreciation for something you contribute.

And the person I told to "STFU" which by the way what I actually said was: Did you bother reading why he did it or did you just want to create some unneeded controversy? was just trying to introduce negativity in a thread that like you said "is cool and can be utilized to engender a sense of community". So while I actually didn't tell him to STFU if that's all he is going to contribute to the thread than I'd kindly ask him to troll somewhere else.

So basically what you're saying is Park's contributions to the boards suck and yours rule?

Why can't we just drop this contribution vs contribution wildly_fanciful_statement and get on with the trading thread?

This type of thing was brought up earlier (maybe you were the one who mentioned it, I don't remember). I think it's a cool idea too. I would like to see how this 1 to 1 type thread plays out for a little bit though before we change it up; but that's just me. I'll be happy with what everyone else wants.

So basically what you're saying is Park's contributions to the boards suck and yours rule?

Why can't we just drop this contribution vs contribution wildly_fanciful_statement and get on with the trading thread?

No, I never said anything about my contributions. I was praising Techvoodoo's contributions. And I'm saying what sticks out in my mind of Park's contributions were negative. That's all.

I would love to drop it and get back to the trading thread!

if there's one thing that I know about rumors, its that they're always true.

if there's one thing that I know about rumors, its that they're always true.

Guys...chill out...he's just bustin' yur balls. lol

Well, yes and no.

I mean, yes, obviously.

I mean, come on. You can't make this stuff up.

Did you bother reading why he did it or did you just want to create some unneeded controversy?

Is this the place where people say that you are supposed to discuss stuff, but then when the stuff you are supposed to discuss is actually discussed, you get told to STFU?

No, this is a place where someone does something awesome for the community, explains why he is going against his own rules in this one case, and someone still has to come in and all over it. And then is told to STFU.

lol

A trading thread is not "someone doing something awesome for the community". It is cool and can be utilized to engender a sense of community but both sides are walking away with something they want.

Someone coming in and pointing out the irony of breaking the rules after lots of people (including the op) have spent weeks (months?)coming up with rules is pretty freaking funny. Do as I say and not as I do is funny.

Being the stereotypical mouth breather, like you and Hulksmash are both doing, is embarrassing.

If I was as heavily invested in the trading thread and were touting a sense of community like you are, I would try my best to not alienate more people by having kittens over someone pointing out the obvious.

Like citing community type stuff and telling someone to STFU in the same sentence.

That's just me though.

So your response to your own hypocrisy is to attack? No self reflection ? No "you know what, maybe he is right?"

I could not GAF what you think about my "contributions". Seriously.

You know what is more dangerous to "community building" threads? Short sighted, narrow minded, itchy trigger fingered people like you. At least we are all aware of the junk donkeys.

I would absolutely own it if I step in it and was out of line. Right now, you have been out of line over what? Someone pointing out the obvious?

You have an opportunity to do something good with the trading thread or you can be like a lot of people around here and complain about everything and anything. Now before you insert your foot one more time, I think the trading thread is a cool idea and would love to participate but if people are going to act like you when somebody questions anything, I have no interest in dealing with it.

Peace, love, dope.

I must have missed it and I can't seem to find it in the thread but why were the rules ignored for the first trade?

I'm setting a double standard because I've been awake for about 30 hours.

Relax francis.

It is like 4 pages back

I'll start the new Trading Post thread later this evening. CAHokie volunteered to be the first victim and start the trading for me, since I don't really have anything of value I'd like to trade at the moment.

Keep an eye out for it tonight.

It was stated, well in advance, that CAHokie would be first to put up a trade. Does it really matter that I posted it on his behalf, in order to smoothly get the thread started? What rule was broke, really? :facepalm:

I feel like I totally messed this thing up. Again....Techie put up my offer so that the offer would be ready to go when the thread rolled out. We did not want to roll out the thread and it just sit there with nothing in it. That was my fault and my idea not techies. I should have just posted it myself and if there was waiting there was waiting. That being said, a few of you would have found something else to complain about regardless of how it was done.