• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

Didn't mkkiller cause a problem in the PIF thread? I see he wants to be next in the trading post thread but I don't remember what happened or if he cleared his name.

If I recall, he didn't ship several offers for like 2 months or something, but I think he made good on them though I'm not sure.

Just thinking out of the box to try and make this trading work better.

Would you guys be interested in a dedicated trading sub-forum in a separate website?

I could make this happen in less than a day if you wanted to try it out.

Thoughts?

So is there a way to announce what we are wanting to trade with and for ahead of time? 24 hours does not quite seem long enough for people to come visit and make a decision but at the same time, long than 24 hours could draw on for a long time if no one is interested.

Maybe on here, put a brief announcement of what you plan to post when you get a chance. That way if someone is interested, they will know to keep an eye out for it.

So is there a way to announce what we are wanting to trade with and for ahead of time? 24 hours does not quite seem long enough for people to come visit and make a decision but at the same time, long than 24 hours could draw on for a long time if no one is interested.

Maybe on here, put a brief announcement of what you plan to post when you get a chance. That way if someone is interested, they will know to keep an eye out for it.

What's the point in waiting for your turn? You've already taken your turn by announcing what you will have for trade. Basically, what you will do is hijack the thread and draw attention away from the person with the current trade offer. If it was my turn, I wouldn't want people to say what they have for trade until my turn is up.

This needs its own sub-forum. Let people put up their own trade and not worry about whose turn it is and the 24-hour time limit. Of course, there has to be some rules or else it could turn chaotic quickly.

Would you guys be interested in a dedicated trading sub-forum in a separate website?

Thoughts?

Surprised no one has chimed in on this. It's a good idea. I had considered setting this up as a website instead of starting a thread, but I didn't want to spend the time putting it together and managing it.

What's the point in waiting for your turn? You've already taken your turn by announcing what you will have for trade. Basically, what you will do is hijack the thread and draw attention away from the person with the current trade offer. If it was my turn, I wouldn't want people to say what they have for trade until my turn is up.

This needs its own sub-forum. Let people put up their own trade and not worry about whose turn it is and the 24-hour time limit. Of course, there has to be some rules or else it could turn chaotic quickly.

I was thinking of something like:

ANNOUNCEMENT: I have some ASM, looking for UXM.

And then when I you get a turn, then you put specifics. Depending on what the current trade is, it may not take away from it. If someone is trying to trade Grimm Fairy Tales for Walking Dead, I'm not interested in either, and others might not also.

I do see the problem of as soon as I make that announcement, I could get slammed with PMs wanting details now and thus losing out the purpose of the trade thread.

Maybe if this gets its own sub-forum, we could create a "take a number" type system?

Thoughts?

Surprised no one has chimed in on this. It's a good idea. I had considered setting this up as a website instead of starting a thread, but I didn't want to spend the time putting it together and managing it.

I don't mind. Let me know if you guys want to try it out and I'll set it up. It would look and function exactly like the sales forum here.

What would be great is a website that could dynamically set up trades with multiple parties.

Ex.

Person 1 has book A, wants book C

Person 2 has book B, wants book A

Person 3 has book C, wants book B

Website figures out that there is a match between multiple parties. P1 ships to P2, P2 to P3, P3 to P1.

Thoughts?

I don't mind. Let me know if you guys want to try it out and I'll set it up. It would look and function exactly like the sales forum here.

Sounds like an awesome idea to me.

Thoughts?

I'm not at all saying that a separate website is a bad idea, but speaking for myself I'd rather do transactions in the "public" arena.

Would a website be invite-only, like the TPB swap one? If so, that greatly restricts the number of potential matches for a trade (not an issue with TPB swapping, that seems to work fine). If not, it becomes a total free-for-all with no way of knowing who you're dealing with.

Thoughts?

I'm not at all saying that a separate website is a bad idea, but speaking for myself I'd rather do transactions in the "public" arena.

Would a website be invite-only, like the TPB swap one? If so, that greatly restricts the number of potential matches for a trade (not an issue with TPB swapping, that seems to work fine). If not, it becomes a total free-for-all with no way of knowing who you're dealing with.

I agree 100%. Those are excellent points.

Here are my thoughts:

1) In order for the trade forum to be effective, it has to have as much exposure as possible. So this means it has to be open to everyone. The goal should be to get as many people as possible to participate in order to facilitate trades.

2) You need to know who your dealing with. There has to be a procedure in place to verify that the person on the trading website is indeed the same person here. The way I envision it, a thread would have to be dedicated here for trade offer announcements. Each announcement here would include a link to the trade thread on the website and vice versa. That way there is no doubt as to who is actually making the offer on the website. In addition, the profile names must match to avoid confusion. If a trade thread appears on the website that has not been announced in the thread here (and has no link to it), it can easily be deleted or possibly moved to a separate section reserved for non-CGC boardies.

So, as an example, here's how a trade offer would be completed by a fictitious boardie named Bubba.

A) Bubba announces his trade offer in the Sub-Forum Trading Thread here.

B) Bubba creates a profile on the website with the same name that he uses here (in this case "Bubba")

C) Bubba creates a thread on the website with his trade offer and includes a link to his announcement here. (Important for security)

D) Bubba edits his announcement post (or quotes it) to include a link to his website thread.

That seems cumbersome, why not see if we can get a sub-forum on here in the market area?

A sub-forum here would be the best choice, but I really don't see it happening.

We've been asking for various sub-forums for years: Birthday Sub-Forum, eBay Sub-Forum, Movie Sub-Forum, etc.