• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

Then the thread is dormant. Or dead. Or whatever. But it won't be a joke PIF has become with the same 5 people constantly taking things because no one else WANTS to participate. Those crazy fun nights will happen. And then they won't. But either way - no way people are going to be allowed to take an offering every other week. That sort of becomes people's personal place to find good deals (see, Free). Ernesto had some excellent points so I'll bump it again here.

I’ve visited the PIF thread often over the past few months and remained a bench player mostly. I was playing the cut to see how things flow and make an educated decision on whether to participate or not.

Unfortunately, some of the concerns voiced by others are the reasons why I’ve yet to “Pay It Forward,” since I feel that thread is less about that (what it really means to pay it forward) and more about looking to catch a good deal and getting rid of drek. In my opinion, the true essence of PIF is lost there, not by everyone, but by enough players to make it not be fun.

PIF is about the receiver of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original patron, but some people seem to live there, waiting to prey on that next awesome offer. How many times does one individual really need to pay it forward? I see that thread more as a “freebies for the quickest draw” or "drek recycling" than an actual PIF. As such, I won’t participate, but I do hope things progress and the thread eventually gets better, since the idea of a PIF thread is great, just not the way it’s going now.

Make no mistake - junk donkeys Need Not Apply. PIF can keep on trucking. I just wanted to give people another outlet to feel like they can offer up something to "give back" and not feel like they are going to be taken advantage of.

:applause: (thumbs u :headbang::applause:

I'd like to say....please call it out. I'd like to know what a true good PIF is.

My last few offers:

Lois & Clark Adventures of Superman Complete Series on DVD (at least $80-$100 of value) most of these seasons were unopened

Wonder Woman Complete Series on DVD (once again at least $50 - $60 of value)

Midtown Comics Gift Card

I'd say really there are only 2-3 people on PIF that offer same stuff many many times over and freeze up the thread

I see nothing wrong with accepting a PIF every 2-4 weeks if you offer something compelling that keeps moving thread forward in return.

I think what happens is someone offers up a unbelievable PIF (which is rare) like a statue or $100 in Overstreet Guide books (which caused this current backlash) and someone gets pissed because they did not get the offer.

The guy that commented on the signed Batman book....I'm the one that got it and guess what...it also looks great in my collection and I offered an excellent PIF that guess what...you could have accepted but you didn't.......live with it

I'd like to say....please call it out. I'd like to know what a true good PIF is.

My last few offers:

Lois & Clark Adventures of Superman Complete Series on DVD (at least $80-$100 of value) most of these seasons were unopened

Wonder Woman Complete Series on DVD (once again at least $50 - $60 of value)

Midtown Comics Gift Card

I'd say really there are only 2-3 people on PIF that offer same stuff many may times and freeze up the thread

I see nothing wrong with accepting a PIF every 2-4 weeks if you offer something compelling that keeps moving thread forward in return.

I think what happens is someone offers up a unbelievable PIF (which is rare) like a statue or $100 in Overstreet Guide books 9which caused this current backlash) and someone gets pissed because they did not get the offer.

The guy that commented on the signed Batman book....I'm the one that got it and guess what...it also looks great in my collection and I offered an excellent PIF that guess what...you could have accepted but you didn't.......live with it

Look jack I wasn't mad about you getting the book. I said I actually was away from my computer at the time the offer was posted so you saw it first( have a life outside this board). I am really happy its a great addition to your collection and have no animosity towards you for having received it. I was just point out that was an offer that was interesting to me. If you offered up cool dvds that interested other people great but don't come at my with that kind of stupid attitude. I don't collect dvds, I collect comics and OA.

I love the fact that any discussion for change is perceived as "crying" and "complaining"

Swick, this doesn't deserve your time.

Oh, that's ok. Again, I'm not changing PIF. In my opinion, the PIIF thread is dead. There are others that disagree and still have optimism. I just have watched the same thing happen for months now. I just want to start a new thread with consequences for offering up Ninjak #1's or Kraven action figures and stalling the thread. (shrug) If that makes me a villain, so be it. But I think secretly a lot of people would agree and just don't want to say it to avoid being labeled "negative" or only wanting "expensive" things. Mike had a good point as well - it's not even the monetary value. It's just offering up something, anything that didn't look or feel like something someone was "getting rid of" - drek. Putting a little thought or care behind an offering. Offering up something to "pay it forward" and not just pretend that you are and go through the motions.

I love the fact that any discussion for change is perceived as "crying" and "complaining"

Swick, this doesn't deserve your time.

Oh, that's ok. Again, I'm not changing PIF. In my opinion, the PIIF thread is dead. There are others that disagree and still have optimism. I just have watched the same thing happen for months now. I just want to start a new thread with consequences for offering up Ninjak #1's or Kraven action figures and stalling the thread. (shrug) If that makes me a villain, so be it. But I think secretly a lot of people would agree and just don't want to say it to avoid being labeled "negative" or only wanting "expensive" things. Mike had a good point as well - it's not even the monetary value. It's just offering up something, anything that didn't look or feel like something someone was "getting rid of" - drek. Putting a little thought or care behind an offering. Offering up something to "pay it forward" and not just pretend that you are and go through the motions.

I took a picture of some spare change and lint I found under my couch cushions. I'll have my offer up shortly.

Shouldn't "pay it forward" be where person A sends person B an item without getting anything in return?

Someone who gets it! (worship)

Yes, but then person B sends something to person C and so on and so forth. That's the 'forward' part.

If someone in line at Starbucks in front of me decided to pay for my coffee, I probably wouldn't 'pay it forward' by sending a stripper to my pastor's house. I'd pay for some random dude's gas at a gas station or someone else's haircut at the barber. There's got to be a reasonable expectation that someone/whoever you're trying to 'help' actually wants what you're giving them.

So if the guy behind you at Starbucks just saw you get a free coffee, and he then you turn around and hand him a big bag of potatoes (maybe of equal or greater value), you HAVE to consider if they want it.

Are you going to seriously try to say that some of the participants are "paying it forward" with their offerings?? Honestly? (shrug)

Or are they offering up the bear minimum to ensure that someone will claim their offering and they can GET what they claimed. There is nothing altruistic going on in that thread anymore aside from a few noble people that try to save it time and time again. It's awful to watch.

Are you going to seriously try to say that some of the participants are "paying it forward" with their offerings?? Honestly? (shrug)

Or are they offering up the bear minimum to ensure that someone will claim their offering and they can GET what they claimed. There is nothing altruistic going on in that thread anymore aside from a few noble people that try to save it time and time again. It's awful to watch.

I've participated 3 times and tried to put together quality offerings each time. I thought the last offering I put together was pretty nice, but it took longer than I thought it would to get claimed, so I could be wrong. I think most others put thought and effort into their offerings as well.

Point is, I don't understand why you feel the need to specifically down the PIF thread and the people who participate. What's the purpose? Just get your new (hopefully fun) new venture up and running and don't look back. You suggested some else have a shot at aelarkin's sweet offering when you could have taken the onus and taken it yourself.

Just do your thing, man. No need to pile on others. Then you just look like that person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed Hulk_Smash aka Jiminy_Cricket or whatever he's calling himself nowadays.

I would absolutely say that SOME people are paying it forward. I'm not in their heads, I don't presume to know what they're all thinking in every case. BUT some are out to take advantage, some are out to have a little fun, etc. The thread doesn't have to exist, and no one ever has to claim anything.

I personally actually look at it like a trade thread, trying to trade something of approximately equal value and/or desirability for something new. IF I don't I feel comfortable matching, either because the offer is too awesome or too trashy, I don't take it. It doesn't hurt me or offend me, I just move along. If the thread dies, so be it. It will come back ...

I've 'traded' $65 worth of stuff for $100 worth, and traded $40 worth of stuff for $25 of stuff, it happens.

My motivations aren't the purest thing ever, I'm not just trying to give stuff away for nothing, but someone does something nice for me (like send me some comic stuff I want), I do something 'equally' (or reasonably equally) nice for someone else. That's what it should be about, if its not then it won't work. Which is OK too.

I would absolutely say that SOME people are paying it forward. I'm not in their heads, I don't presume to know what they're all thinking in every case. BUT some are out to take advantage, some are out to have a little fun, etc. The thread doesn't have to exist, and no one ever has to claim anything.

I personally actually look at it like a trade thread, trying to trade something of approximately equal value and/or desirability for something new. IF I don't I feel comfortable matching, either because the offer is too awesome or too trashy, I don't take it. It doesn't hurt me or offend me, I just move along. If the thread dies, so be it. It will come back ...

I've 'traded' $65 worth of stuff for $100 worth, and traded $40 worth of stuff for $25 of stuff, it happens.

My motivations aren't the purest thing ever, I'm not just trying to give stuff away for nothing, but someone does something nice for me (like send me some comic stuff I want), I do something 'equally' (or reasonably equally) nice for someone else. That's what it should be about, if its not then it won't work. Which is OK too.

I agree that it's more trade that PIF, nothing wrong with that. Thread should be renamed.

Careful, Harv. You're putting a crimp into some bottomfeeders' source of extra income. They don't like that.

Careful, Harv. You're putting a crimp into some bottomfeeders' source of extra income. They don't like that.

And you're just background noise buzzing douchily in the boards' collective ears.