• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

trainwreck.gif

I am waiting for your offer… :eyeroll:

I thought you were anti-sarcasm. lol

But to address your point, there are a lot of people who simply will not participate in activities where you are forced to view and deal with others' poor behavior. That is why I, personally, will not participate in any of the holiday raffles, gift exchanges etc., and why I had a bad attitude about how P-I-F was going to turn out.

It is far more gratifying to do nice things behind the scenes for people who either need help, or that you genuinely like and care about, than to deal with a randomly generated number (person) who may or may not be a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Thats where I started, was giving away stuff to people who I knew really wanted an item. Not looking for any glory , just being nice. Someone see a comic they like, here take it. Someone see a Carnage cassette tape from the 80's , its on its way. But was introduced to this thread by Bird and figured a group giving thread. Aint that sweet. Its had its moments. some good and some bad. But alot of good stuff did go to alot of good people. SO even though I keep saying I am out (Like I said about the MOB) I keep coming back every time I see a great PIF done.

Sean, you’re right, but activities (or better, situations) where you are forced to view and deal with others' poor behavior are just bound to be part of every moment and every day of one’s life.

I just believe one should not be afraid or worried to take something because one would "judge" his follow-up offer. Many members just did fine even if their initial offers were not balanced, just because they accepted the various degrees of criticism in a good way (and criticism was done in a polite tone) – so both parts are required.

I do agree gifts are appropriate towards people you know or are appreciating, but the PIF concept is a means to get to know them, so I like it regardless. :)

Actually that isn’t sarcasm, it’s irony, isn’t it? I love Jeffro's caustic comments here and there, but the train wreck is just silly… did he ever participated? Just joking anyway… :D

On the topic of rule changes here's a good rule change, imo. Lets do away with the whole "no discussing value" rule. The majority of past arguments have come from the fact that the perceived value certain people put forth with their offer is DRASTICALLY out of line with the perceived value of what they took.

I am NOT saying someone has to give a follow up offer of equal or greater value to what they have taken. I'm saying lets get rid of the that stupid rule instead of dancing around it, because it's been the root of several blow ups in the past, and that's caused of more than a few people leaving the thread.

It will at least open the door to allow the discussion of value instead of pretending it's not on everyone's mind when someone takes a $100 slab and offers up a $10 TPB in return.

After all the butt hurt I've gotten for mentioning cost of offers :pullhair: Seems like the only way to keep people honest in their offers but what do I know. But remember that guy in GT who had obviously shilled a Star Wars reprint pack and then pointed out that auction and said his pack was now worth $100 compared to the $15 other people were getting. People are crafty.

On the topic of rule changes here's a good rule change, imo. Lets do away with the whole "no discussing value" rule. The majority of past arguments have come from the fact that the perceived value certain people put forth with their offer is DRASTICALLY out of line with the perceived value of what they took.

I am NOT saying someone has to give a follow up offer of equal or greater value to what they have taken. I'm saying lets get rid of the that stupid rule instead of dancing around it, because it's been the root of several blow ups in the past, and that's caused of more than a few people leaving the thread.

It will at least open the door to allow the discussion of value instead of pretending it's not on everyone's mind when someone takes a $100 slab and offers up a $10 TPB in return.

After all the butt hurt I've gotten for mentioning cost of offers :pullhair: Seems like the only way to keep people honest in their offers but what do I know. But remember that guy in GT who had obviously shilled a Star Wars reprint pack and then pointed out that auction and said his pack was now worth $100 compared to the $15 other people were getting. People are crafty.

Big.Daddy :luhv:

Now as I also mentioned during the weekend, the original intent of this thread was not that. The very first item was a OA book not worth a alot but expectations as soon as the first person say put up a HULK 180 and now we are at where if you take a Hulk 180 you better come close to the value in your PIF and not put up a common book.

Yes and yes to the bolded part. I am not saying the initial concept is preferable over the current one of trying to have interesting items rather than "random" ones, but again they are different things and I can accept if there are moments the threads seems to stall: it is up to the current offerer to try and change the offer, or simply give up and maybe we should let the reversion to happen for two turns? I know it's impractical and time consuming, but that would not also discourage people trying to take advantage and nothing more? hm

What Techie said about the exchange is true. I was a backup santa for that incident.

I cant believe I argued with Fingh when I was a newb defending donkeys. I truly believed in the best of everyone at that time.

Great. Now Jop, the guy who screwed a bunch of people over in a past Holiday raffle, is taking offers in the PIF. :roflmao:

i-give-up.jpg

Is this true? That's just great. :facepalm: I REALLY hope Doc vetoes him from claiming that awesome SS Sketch Slab.

That's an $80-120 slab....the offers are $20-30....

THERE!

I said it!!

I feel better.

I know I got a less then stellar name in this thread and in the GT thread since I always brought it back to cost of the items but I hope people see the direct correlation between desirability and cost. Even if its an item to keep most people want to have desirable items in their collection rather then the bottom of the barrel. Lets take the last 4 offers - Claudio stepped up and went big with the 1st smurfs. So hard to get that there is no e-bay sales recently but its a sweet book. Next offer hit it out of the park with a Omnibus and a FF 67 slab! Omnibus less expensive then the FF 67 slab but it got taken which proves its not all about money but both items were desirable and had a worth of around $50 - $70 (plenty of sales on E-Bay). Next offer had some nice desirable books with a $40 - $50 slab in the mix which got taken. The next offer was laughable in almost all respects. The slabs are so obscure there is no recent sales and pretty much books that do not belong in a slab.

You can be honest and just dismiss the offer or wait around for 4 days in the hopes that one of his friends doesn't save him at the last second. I think all of us know when an offer just plain stinks but I wish more people would voice their displeasure at a following offer.

What Techie said about the exchange is true. I was a backup santa for that incident.

I cant believe I argued with Fingh when I was a newb defending donkeys. I truly believed in the best of everyone at that time.

iydmw.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

:applause:

I noticed the value difference immediately with Jop but didnt want to be the guy yelling donkey....again. I loved Val's offer. That is a book I have always wanted and whether it was a $5 copy or a $200 copy it is just plain awesome.

Edit: 1cool, you never had a bad name. You always have good offers we just had to tell you to stop saying value because it is a rule. I agree though it may be time to rethink that

I noticed the value difference immediately with Jop but didnt want to be the guy yelling donkey....again. I loved Val's offer. That is a book I have always wanted and whether it was a $5 copy or a $200 copy it is just plain awesome.

That's a remarked copy. Cho doesn't always do that. It pretty much doubles the value.

It's a great offer. Very generous of him.

The follow up offer is the kind of thing that drives people from paying it forward. The happiness of helping someone is destroyed when the person you helped has no interest in passing it along in kind.

Great. Now Jop, the guy who screwed a bunch of people over in a past Holiday raffle, is taking offers in the PIF. :roflmao:

i-give-up.jpg

Is this true? That's just great. :facepalm: I REALLY hope Doc vetoes him from claiming that awesome SS Sketch Slab.

That's an $80-120 slab....the offers are $20-30....

THERE!

I said it!!

I feel better.

That's a prime example of why we need to be able to veto an offer.

I was thinking "who is Val" lol Claudio's offer was crazy good since the book is unique which translates in a high value. I don't care anymore about calling people out - it sounds like a duck and quacks like a duck . . its a fricking duck.

That's a remarked copy. Cho doesn't always do that. It pretty much doubles the value.

It's a great offer. Very generous of him.

The follow up offer is the kind of thing that drives people from paying it forward. The happiness of helping someone is destroyed when the person you helped has no interest in passing it along in kind.

Agreed. We could not have had a better timed example of the very thing we are discussing and trying to prevent.

Edit: 1cool, you never had a bad name. You always have good offers we just had to tell you to stop saying value because it is a rule. I agree though it may be time to rethink that

I got into it with Meeklo in the GT thread (ongoing trend with me) since his offer was a bunch of random low cost items after he grabbed my lower grade ASM 50. I didn't demand a key book I just wanted the next person to get abut $50 in value for me to give him the ASM 50. He said he couldn't get close to that number for various reasons and he ended up getting a contentious strike. Reason for the story is you can't be afraid to voice your opinion and demand people meet a certain fair threshhold.

Sure wish I had that ASM 50 now. lol