• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short Tampa Con Report (more like a comic haul report)

35 posts in this topic

Today I drove up to Tampa Bay Comic Con from Sarasota. I arrived at noon. In no way was I prepared for the jump in attendance.........I did not buy tickets in advance online........ doh!

This def was bigger than Supercon 2012.

As I came around the corner, I saw the line was like half a mile long!! It did not include 2 floors of lines inside!!!!!!! :o

I was outside for 1.5 hours before that nice cold air hit me as I entered the building. Only to find that the line was as long inside as it was outside. We were led into 2 huge ballrooms where we passed each other like 20 times like you do on amusement park rides.

The water fountains stared at me from across the room taunting me. (It was kinda hot outside)

The variety of costumes kept me amused and took my mind off the lines.

Sorry no con pictures.....It was too packed that it was hard to do anything.

Even artists tables were being bumped into once in a while.

After I got out of the ballroom, I saw that the line was leading upstairs somewhere. It was another 1 hour line wait.......I was like......man.......time to pull some strings or something.

I was already 2 hours behind schedule due to leaving home late so I decided to hit up some boardies to see if I could get lucky. No one had extra passes. It was time for me to do some acting. I left the line when they started splitting people up and found a staff who took me up front for a ticket. I thanked her and should have gotten her phone number......... doh!

She saved me a hour. I was finally at the gates of comicdom. I felt at peace.

Wow. It was sure packed!!! Most aisles did not have a clear path in the middle. So we all had to go with the traffic. I decided not to shop around too much since I have a large prescreen sub due very soon and that will be costly.

I had made some prior arrangements with some boardies so I followed up on them.

I decided to make a beeline over to see my favorite artist, Adelso Corona. I became a fan in early 2012 and was surprised when I came across him at Supercon 2012. Since then, I have had several commissions done and will continue to collect covers done by him. I had a thank you gift to give him. A few comics he did not have of his favorite artist.

I spent around a hour at Adelso's booth watching him in action doing some Inking since I was doing the same thing in my illustration class up at Ringling. While I was watching him ink, I did not realize that one of the teachers from Ringling was actually working next to Adelso until I saw his face!! So we talked about my classes this year and stuff.

After we chatted, GodofThunder was at the same booth and I picked up a SS sketch cover done by Adelso from him. He was running around plenty getting stuff done. (Thank you for the cover!)

Mangbus met me at the same booth and gave me the GL omnibus from the PiF thread. I did not realize how thick it was!! (Thanks again!!)

After that, I decided to go do some shopping. I came across some Marvel art books of certain artists. I was surprised to find them for $10 still shrink wrapped. They retailed for $50 each. I quickly grabbed four of them since I love art books and sketch books as they inspire me.

I went back to Adelso to let him know about the books and I ended up going back and grabbing three for him.

I decided to hit up booths that had fresh collections in and grabbed some micro jewels that no one grabbed on Friday. There were plenty of books up for grabs. Wide variety........everything was available and cheap too.

My focus was on grabbing a variety of magazines and see what catches my attention while reading them at home. If something catches my attention, that will be what I focus on collecting next.

After shopping, I went back to Adelso's table to watch some more inking. After a few minutes, I decided to leave to go home. Before I left, I was sent off with some sweet 11x17 prints off Adelso's table!

Make sure you check out his work out at :

http://adelsocorona.deviantart.com/

www.facebook.com/adelso.corona

Overall the show was decent. I was just not prepared for the jump in attendees. I wish I could go for one more day to see the rest of the booths. Hats off to Tuppenyconan and kingofrulers for an awesome show.

I will be back next year and I will buy tickets in advance next time!

Thank you for reading and I will be posting a few pictures of what I brought at the show.

Impulse buy since I am a sucker for dirty cheap variants since they are always nice to look at.....(.50 cents each)

Plus this 2nd print variant is much better looking than the original printing....this one is full white background which makes it better. The original had advertisement across the top and a yellow background.....ugh.

IMG_0837_zps5484c94b.jpg