• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charity Circulation

11 posts in this topic

After a discussion with another member, I'm going to present a fun charity idea to the community.

The idea is to purchase a brand new hardcover comic and circulate it among the members here interested in participating. The comic isn't to read, but to sign and pass on. Once the list of participating member is completed, it will be listed here in an auction style sale with all proceeds going to Akron Children's Hospital.

This is a trial run in a larger plan. Next, we'd like to have a book circulated around conventions to collect celebrity/writers/artist signatures and again auction it off here, but this time for the Hero Initiative. It all goes well, maybe we can make this a recurring event.

So here's the plan: this thread will be for members to express their interest. If there is enough interest to make this happen, we'll compile a list of participating members and select the book via poll. Once the book is selected, I'll order it from Amazon brand new and make the list geographic. I live in Ohio, so we'll start with eastern US addresses and move west. Then to Canda, then overseas, then back to for auction here. Each member will be responsible for the shipping charges to the next member, but we'll do everything possible to make sure no one ends up shipping somewhere they don't want to, etc.

If everything works out and it's a positive experience for everyone, we'll move on to the second phase with celebrities.

The list of participating members will be listed here in the first post as they express the desire to join in. If I miss anyone, PM me.

Here we go...

techvoodoo

comeaux

MR-SigS

After a discussion with another member, I'm going to present a fun charity idea to the community.

The idea is to purchase a brand new hardcover comic and circulate it among the members here interested in participating. The comic isn't to read, but to sign and pass on. Once the list of participating member is completed, it will be listed here in an auction style sale with all proceeds going to Akron Children's Hospital.

This is a trial run in a larger plan. Next, we'd like to have a book circulated around conventions to collect celebrity/writers/artist signatures and again auction it off here, but this time for the Hero Initiative. It all goes well, maybe we can make this a recurring event.

So here's the plan: this thread will be for members to express their interest. If there is enough interest to make this happen, we'll compile a list of participating members and select the book via poll. Once the book is selected, I'll order it from Amazon brand new and make the list geographic. I live in Ohio, so we'll start with eastern US addresses and move west. Then to Canda, then overseas, then back to for auction here. Each member will be responsible for the shipping charges to the next member, but we'll do everything possible to make sure no one ends up shipping somewhere they don't want to, etc.

If everything works out and it's a positive experience for everyone, we'll move on to the second phase with celebrities.

The list of participating members will be listed here in the first post as they express the desire to join in. If I miss anyone, PM me.

Here we go...

techvoodoo

comeaux

MR-SigS

Senormac

I think you should get 2 books for everyone to sign. I mean, if we're gonna ship somethin all over the world, may as well maximize the signage :)

I just don't get the point of it. The auction I understand, but why spend all that money on postage to get signatures the kids wouldn't care about. By the time it got to two dozen members, we could have bought a dozen books to donate for the same money.

Best of luck with this, but unless I'm missing something, I'm out.

I thought it was a good idea.

To answer shadroch. The point was to raise some money for a good cause, in this case a children's hospital. The book and signatures aren't for the kids, they probably won't even know about it, the book and the signatures sort of represent a CGC Forum yearbook, that after signed will be offered up amongst ourselves to bid on and have as a collectible. Once auctioned off the money raised will be donated to the childrens hospital. I don't imagine it will raise a ton of money but hopefully someone would dig deep and make a decent size bid.

However, and possibly more importantly, I see it as a trial run to see if something like this will work. If it does, next time we can do it again but when the book is mailed to people they can take it to comic conventions and get artists, writers, and celebrities to sign it with the hopes that when we auction off that book, it raises a great deal of money for another good cause.