• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baker romance, PCH, pulps, paperbacks...

34 posts in this topic

WORLDS OF FEAR #2 A very pretty copy except that the spine is completely split. (Front cover is still attached at the staples, back cover completely detached.) Very glossy, blazing colors, great paper. $85 (less than I paid)

Along with This Magazine is Haunted #3, this is arguably the rarest of all pre-code horror books, and like certain other Fawcetts of this time period, such as Man from Planet X, suffered from inferior cover stock. Almost all the copies I've seen have a heavily taped split spine - nearly impossible to find an intact copy in any grade.

WorldsofFear210_zpsdc27a49c.jpg

What the heck, this one too.... :takeit:

WORLDS OF FEAR #2 A very pretty copy except that the spine is completely split. (Front cover is still attached at the staples, back cover completely detached.) Very glossy, blazing colors, great paper. $85 (less than I paid)

Along with This Magazine is Haunted #3, this is arguably the rarest of all pre-code horror books, and like certain other Fawcetts of this time period, such as Man from Planet X, suffered from inferior cover stock. Almost all the copies I've seen have a heavily taped split spine - nearly impossible to find an intact copy in any grade.

WorldsofFear210_zpsdc27a49c.jpg

What the heck, this one too.... :takeit:

^^

Nice sales thread.

What makes the cinderella love go for 20x guide? I can see some scarceness making it 2x, but 20? I'm lacking in knowledge on these romance books.

GLWTS

Rarity multiplied by demand. Guide has been out of step with Baker romance for many years - and the later covers are particularly rare and desirable.

Nice sales thread.

What makes the cinderella love go for 20x guide? I can see some scarceness making it 2x, but 20? I'm lacking in knowledge on these romance books.

GLWTS

Rarity multiplied by demand. Guide has been out of step with Baker romance for many years - and the later covers are particularly rare and desirable.

Much as I usually defend Overstreet, he is off base on this one. Breaks it out as not having a Baker cover (which error CGC follows on the label) when it obviously does. Also has a Baker story, albeit a reprint, that's not noted in guide.

The "whole cover" Baker issues are the most desirable to my mind. For a while, St John did the big panel on right, three little panels on the left thing. And, of course, this cover is particularly well done.

Okay, how about this bargain? Want a little light reading from ACG's scarcest period? The following batch of Forbidden Worlds guides at about $260. Take the whole batch for $130 plus 50% off postage (see first post for rates.)

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #37 FINE+ $40

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #38 FINE $30

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #40 VGF $20

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #41 GOOD $10

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #43 VG $18

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #44 FINE $30

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #45 VG+ $20

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #46 FG $5

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #47 FG $5

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #48 VG+ $20

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #49 VG $15

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #50 GOOD $10

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #51 VG $15

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #54 VG $15

FORBIDDEN WORLDS #61 VG $15 spine roll

A few scans:

ForbiddenWorlds37.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds38.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds43.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds44.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds45.jpg

Nice sales thread.

GLWTS

And if you think that's something, how about the Cinderella Love #25 CGC 6.0 that sold for almost $2,200. on eBay back in March. That's almost 50x guide.