• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I May Be Dealing With An eBay Scammer Here...

52 posts in this topic

I just had my first case opened against me...Buyer was from Mexico.

Asked for cheapest shipping, it was (from Canada Post) small packet international surface. Can take up to 4 - 6 weeks. Advised buyer of this, they said ok. Two days before 4 week mark, buyer opens a case against me.

Now they may have their books, they may not. Even if they don't it is annoying b/c they knew the time frame, agreed and then filed a case.

SO yeah, it is a off, but ultimately, it is my fault. Instead of being 'nice' I should have said it would require tracking. End of story.

No more 'cheap' shipping options for international buyers. Tracked or nothing. For anything less than $20 I will still ship on the cheap within Canada and/or USA to help out buyers but anywhere else, no matter the value, the package will be tracked.

It sucks, but lesson learned. No one to blame but myself and I guess I should be thankful that this is the first (and hopefully last) time this will happen.

Asked for cheapest shipping, it was (from Canada Post) small packet international surface. Can take up to 4 - 6 weeks. Advised buyer of this, they said ok. Two days before 4 week mark, buyer opens a case against me.

Now they may have their books, they may not. Even if they don't it is annoying b/c they knew the time frame, agreed and then filed a case.

SO yeah, it is a off, but ultimately, it is my fault. Instead of being 'nice' I should have said it would require tracking. End of story.

No more 'cheap' shipping options for international buyers. Tracked or nothing. For anything less than $20 I will still ship on the cheap within Canada and/or USA to help out buyers but anywhere else, no matter the value, the package will be tracked.

It sucks, but lesson learned. No one to blame but myself and I guess I should be thankful that this is the first (and hopefully last) time this will happen.

And this is harsh too, outside of eBay, but according to Paypal they buyer can open a dispute a week after purchase. It is up to the seller to prove to Paypal that they mailed off the item with a tracking number or the buyer automatically wins. So many people try doing it the easy cheap way and wind up losing their money themselves because they did not protect themselves.

When I used to sell on Ebay before they had those silly rules, I always used tracking for shipping.

I'd gladly have people ship me $1,000 comics in envelopes packed like mine.

That may work for a bit, unitl one of those envelopes gets bent in half right where it says " Do Not Bend ".

That happened to me once many years ago when I first started selling books. Never used an envelope again. Just my 2c.

On the other hand, this is America and I have no doubt our post office is working on technology to easily bend reinforced boxes on the "do not bend" mark as well.

My mother worked for the post office for 30 years, at a processing center. She told me that some people who worked there used to play catch with some packages.

I'd gladly have people ship me $1,000 comics in envelopes packed like mine.

That may work for a bit, unitl one of those envelopes gets bent in half right where it says " Do Not Bend ".

That happened to me once many years ago when I first started selling books. Never used an envelope again. Just my 2c.

On the other hand, this is America and I have no doubt our post office is working on technology to easily bend reinforced boxes on the "do not bend" mark as well.

My mother worked for the post office for 30 years, at a processing center. She told me that some people who worked there used to play catch with some packages.

Both my envelope and box packaging goes through the kid test. If they can survive my kids for a day or so then they'll make it no problem. :)

There are some buyers who will jump for joy when they receive a package with no tracking #...that means they can ask for a refund due to non-delivery and there is no way you can prove it.

For e-bay & Amazon I will always get a tracking # as I was tired of getting the non-delivery messages from buyers when i didn't have tracking. Funny thing, once I started doing that I did not have one lost package....I wonder why?

Before Canada Posts recent changes I would send all packages with a value of less than $100 with no tracking. Canada Post would still insure the package so I was covered. I received one non-receipt message and that comic ended up being returned by Canada Post a month later.

I have never understood those sellers who claim that this problem is common.

Oh, you're from Quebec.

That explains everything.

I didn't want to say it. :whistle:

How many Stanley Cup parades have you guys had the pleasure of watching during your lifetimes? :baiting:

How many Habs fan's does it take to change a lightbulb?

Just one, but the rest stand around talking about how good the old bulb was.