• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead #1 vs. New Mutants 98

222 posts in this topic

Speculators have driven up the price of WD #1. TMNT #1 is a gem of a book because it is limited as to how many copies are readily available compared to relative demand. You are much better off buying a TMNT 1 in lower grade than buying a WD #1 in 9.8.

To me it seems that you are contradicting your own "sig line info" you have there. So your telling me that you know the future and that WD 1 9.8 will lose value compared to a TMNT book? It's ALL speculative. It may or may not lose value WE don't know the future. Hell I saw a white label WD 1 9.8 sell for $1775 then a few weeks later a black label sold for $3700. That's freaking crazy.

If I had to choose, I'd put my money into Turtles over WD. There is no doubt that WD will always be a big book. Turtles is more proven over the long haul. We'll be able to judge it better once the WD fad wears off. Prices will come down (I don't think it will drop 50% though).

I have to agree. TMNT#1 is twice as rare as Walking Dead #1, plus the TMNT characters are far more likeable.

tmnt-arcade-attack-artwork.jpg

You got Deadpool in New Mutants #98 about 1990 or 1991,then you got Walking Dead #1 in 2003.

So in about 20 plus years only two keys worth putting bags and boards on.

That`s why Walking Dead broke out in the comic book industry, as comic book fans were so starved for something new and different.

I would say the next big breakthrough hit will come from digital comic book

meh

I was trying to get at that I see a new kind of comic fan and culture beginning with digital comics, and it will be someone who grew up on digital stuff that will create something real big as the next Walking Dead and TMNT.

The advantages the digital comics will have is eventually they will get more eyeballs to look at their comics then the print versions and digital comics are much easier to access. I see this leading to the creation of many new comic book fans, but they will have a different vision then the way we collected, and will come up with their own icons just like each generation before us has.

This will be a few years away, but I think we are getting much closer then we realize in passing the torch.

Once the TWD TV series fades away, TWD #1 and other key TWD issues will substantially drop in value. It won't be the new thing anymore.

It won't be in the bargain bin boxes or anything like that but it won't command near the price you see right now.

Still a winner even if #1 drops to $500-$800 for a 9.8.

Isn't the comparison point TMNT?

When the show/movie/action figures faded away the book still had collectability.

TMNT has the added advantage of lower census #s (454 on census vs WD1 with 4x as many on census), but the market reflects that (a 9.8 TMNT sells for 15k, a 9.8 WD sells for 2k)

So why wouldnt it maintain some value as the key comic book of the 2000s, just like TMNT maintained value after the cartoon and the pop-culture zeitgeist cooled off on the turtles?

I completely agree with you. Some could argue that TMNT are kid characters and thus may have more longevity than zombies but I think WD is a cultural phenomenon that won't end after the show goes away. Knowing how Kirkman writes...we may see a movie one day.

I guess the question is how fast did TMNT #1 rise in value in the same span of time TWD #1 rose...Seems like TWD #1 shot up there rather quickly due to the TV show and TMNT rose at a steady pace..Am I wrong?

Hey, I love the TWD TV series and I hope it keeps going and going. I just think the TWD #1 has been built up too fast and will take a big price drop especially when the TV show starts to decline in viewership. Again going to still be worth a lot of money but a price drop none the less.

It's not collectors driving Twd prices.

Yeah. There are those "other types" too betting on an investment.

THROW THEM ON THE GROUND!

lol That's awesome!

:blush:

To try and ignore speculators as part of the buying power out there is a tough one. Dismissing them is ignoring some of what makes the hobby grow and move forward, whether we want to admit this or not.

TMNT aren't owned by Disney.

I was wondering why Disney was brought up with TMNT.

Nickelodeon Purchases Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Franchise

The digital animation version of the show is quite popular. Nickelodeon wouldn't have bet $60 MM on a loser franchise.

Yep,Nickelodeon has two big gold mines.

TMNT, and yes get ready rule of 25`ers.

Can we put to rest the "Rule of 25," or "Rule of 30," or whatever it is that keeps coming up? Not everything has nostalgia, and not everything will merit demand from people who couldn't afford it because they were too young. Might be the most unsubstantiated rule of thumb I've ever heard.

AND YES, someone pooped in my cereal this AM.

Can we put to rest the "Rule of 25," or "Rule of 30," or whatever it is that keeps coming up? Not everything has nostalgia, and not everything will merit demand from people who couldn't afford it because they were too young. Might be the most unsubstantiated rule of thumb I've ever heard.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I've been saying this for years. At best, it's a weak tendency that has little to no statistical significance. Sometimes things come back en vogue after 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years or, most often...NEVER. And it's not like these nostalgic items key off of the same age group all the time either, making "25" years at best an approximate target, so to say things like, "only 2 more years until the Rule of 25 kicks in!" is false precision at its finest.

And, given the huge technological and cultural upheaval of the past couple of decades, which have permanently disrupted how people live and enjoy their lives, I would wager than the "Rule of 25" will be even less reliable of a barometer than it already is going forward.

Kids are currently wearing 1985 fashions - androgynous dressing styles, high wasted shorts and pants and fuchsia and fluorescent colours.

They missed it by 3 years, dammit! :sumo:

If I had to choose, I'd put my money into Turtles over WD. There is no doubt that WD will always be a big book. Turtles is more proven over the long haul. We'll be able to judge it better once the WD fad wears off. Prices will come down (I don't think it will drop 50% though).

TMNT 1, regardless of what happens to the movie/TV/merchandise/etc. franchise, will always be a rare and important book in the history of comics. The fact that the franchise keeps getting rejuvenated and kept in the spotlight is a big plus. That said, is there much interest for the rest of the series? And, is there a lot of room and cause for further price appreciation on #1 from here? (shrug)

Kids are currently wearing 1985 fashions - androgynous dressing styles, high wasted shorts and pants and fuchsia and fluorescent colours.

That sounds more like Urkel from the 1990s. lol

I don't know how you're dressing your kids, Roy, but I don't see anyone dressing up like that around here, except on Halloween. :baiting:

The high socks have also come back which just baffles me. Particularly during the summer.