• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

the Lenticular covers of the past were a square image in the center of the comic cover. At least these are unique.

lol

Die cuts were put out by DC last year. I thought they looked terrible with a bunch of ugly Joker covers. These are awesome looking (thumbs u I hope they don't get carried away with this and do them all of the time unless they are unlimited prints.

Oh that's right....check that one off the "gimmicks rehashed" list.

Have there been any glow-in-the-dark or foil covers yet?

Whats up with the Dial E cover this week! I can't believe how hard it was for me to track down. Other local shop has 4 left but wants $12 a piece which I think is probably a good neal now that I think about it

Die cuts were put out by DC last year. I thought they looked terrible with a bunch of ugly Joker covers. These are awesome looking (thumbs u I hope they don't get carried away with this and do them all of the time unless they are unlimited prints.

Oh that's right....check that one off the "gimmick's rehashed" list.

balloon_zps1eeaf170.jpg

Whats up with the Dial E cover this week! I can't believe how hard it was for me to track down. Other local shop has 4 left but wants $12 a piece which I think is probably a good neal now that I think about it

Well its sold as a Justice League book, regarding the title anyway. Except if it was allocated based on Dial H print runs then you have around 100,000 fewer copies than is typical for a Justice League book.

lol

That had to go down as the worst cover idea ever. You can't read a comic in the dark unless it's digital. There were lots of other bad ones not far behind. Let's develop a list.

Bloodshot Foil 1

Wildcats holo 2

Superman die cut

Superman black bag

Silver Surfer embossed foil

Maxx, Ghost Rider, and Evil Ernie Glow in the dark

Venom black

venom holofoil

Spider-man 300 chrome ?

Magnus 25 silver

Superman stick ons

Spider-man 1 who can count lol

Help me out. I know I'm missing a bunch but it's a start.

lol

That had to go down as the worst cover idea ever. You can't read a comic in the dark unless it's digital. There were lots of other bad ones not far behind. Let's develop a list.

Bloodshot Foil 1

Wildcats holo 2

Superman die cut

Superman black bag

Venom black

venom holofoil

Spider-man 300 chrome ?

Magnus 25 silver

Superman stick ons

Wolverine 50 Die Cut

X-Force #1 trading cards

Dr. Strange, Avengers, Secret Defenders Foil Covers

X-men (1991) multiple covers.

Lots and lots more.

Sorry it took me a while to post, but Jessica Alba was under my desk uhmmmmmmm looking for my pen that I dropped, yep, that's it :grin:

Meeting celebrities isn't always all it's cracked up to be. Sucks when you like an actress/actor and when you meet them at a con or wherever, they happen to be having a bad day, and treat you like a d-bag :mad:

The Boys had a glow-in-the-dark cover variant a while back.

Sorry it took me a while to post, but Jessica Alba was under my desk uhmmmmmmm looking for my pen that I dropped, yep, that's it :grin:

Meeting celebrities isn't always all it's cracked up to be. Sucks when you like an actress/actor and when you meet them at a con or wherever, they happen to be having a bad day, and treat you like a d-bag :mad:

Its even worse when you see and actually talk to one and don't realize at the time who it is. True story Leonard Nimoy started dating and ended up marrying a woman that lived 5 doors down from me when I live in the Vegas area. She lived right by the street mailbox hub and I literally would see him drive up or outside checking mail like I was and said hello or nice day etc. I never knew it was him cause he wore sunglasses w/hat, drove a big American pickup truck, even wore boots with jeans and 70's plaid button shirts. He was completely in-cognito. Oh well it still counts. lol

It happened to me at a Cardinals game in 1978. I tried to get an autograph from Garry Templleton who turned out to be a great player and not so nice person. He got vulgar with me and my brother and we were kids. A great thing happened that day though. We had box seats on 3rd base and were watching Padres players warm up. These 2 players Come over and my brother and I what's wrong with us ? We told them about Templeton and this little guy says I'll be happy to give you an auto and one day you'll be happy to have it. He was Ozzie Smith and the other guy was Eric Rasmussen. It made our day. I still have the autographed Cardinals game card signed by 2 guys who ended up in St Louis and one is in the hall of fame. Sounds hokey I know but its 100% true. Some celebs are awesome.

lol

Bloodshot Foil 1

Wildcats holo 2

Superman die cut

Superman black bag

Venom black

venom holofoil

Spider-man 300 chrome ?

Magnus 25 silver

Superman stick ons

Wolverine 50 Die Cut

X-Force #1 trading cards

Lots and lots more.

Marvel apaprently combined some of these hated gimmicks earlier this year when they put out Guardians of the Galaxy trading cards with undisclosed variant rarities...

http://marvel.com/news/story/20116/guardians_of_the_galaxy_trading_cards

Otherwise, the most unique (and stupid) gimmick I remember from the 90s was the Bloodstrike "thermal" blood spatter. Supposedly, if you "rubbed the blood" as the corner box urged, it would appear or disappear or something.

The Boys had a glow-in-the-dark cover variant a while back.

Who knew? For some reason, I can't picture the Boys collectors as guys who would by the gimmicky stuff.

It happened to me at a Cardinals game in 1978. I tried to get an autograph from Garry Templleton who turned out to be a great player and not so nice person. He got vulgar with me and my brother and we were kids. A great thing happened that day though. We had box seats on 3rd base and were watching Padres players warm up. These 2 players Come over and my brother and I what's wrong with us ? We told them about Templeton and this little guy says I'll be happy to give you an auto and one day you'll be happy to have it. He was Ozzie Smith and the other guy was Eric Rasmussen. It made our day. I still have the autographed Cardinals game card signed by 2 guys who ended up in St Louis and one is in the hall of fame. Sounds hokey I know but its 100% true. Some celebs are awesome.

Didn't Garry have a serious problem with the white powder? I can only imagine how erratic that dude could be.

lol

Bloodshot Foil 1

Wildcats holo 2

Superman die cut

Superman black bag

Venom black

venom holofoil

Spider-man 300 chrome ?

Magnus 25 silver

Superman stick ons

Wolverine 50 Die Cut

X-Force #1 trading cards

Lots and lots more.

Marvel apaprently combined some of these hated gimmicks earlier this year when they put out Guardians of the Galaxy trading cards with undisclosed variant rarities...

http://marvel.com/news/story/20116/guardians_of_the_galaxy_trading_cards

Otherwise, the most unique (and stupid) gimmick I remember from the 90s was the Bloodstrike "thermal" blood spatter. Supposedly, if you "rubbed the blood" as the corner box urged, it would appear or disappear or something.

I had a clear Iceman figure that turned blue when it got cold. It worked lol