• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

I find it kindah funny how some folks are outraged that shops are pulling the hot ones off the rack and selling them for $20-$40 a pop.

So long as they are not sc*r*wing over a file cusomer who pre-ordered and shorting them (which would be a grievous sin), i see nothing wrong with that. they have no obligation to put a $40 book out on the rack at $3.99 so someone can rush in and buy up all the copies and make 10X the money. Am I happy if they don't and I can cash in? Sure. I just don't expect it.

is it bad business? i don't even think so. so long as they have a bunch of the 3D covers out there that might be getting $6-$10 on ebay at cover price I don't think anyone is going to hate them too much. my main shop had JD at $40 (and sold all their copies in a minute), but Bane 1, Doomsday, Riddler and some others at $3.99. A few of the 3Ds were at $6-$10.

I'm kind of on the fence with this, in terms of pricing. I can see both sides, but like I just hate when they try to gouge people.

Not getting something like Joker's Daughter is fine for me, since the only reason I was looking for it was it's demand/value/etc, so no problem, there's a lot of rare/hot/valuable comics I don't have.

I do, however, sympathize with the person who isn't going to sell it or flip it, but is truly just wanting to own a copy for their collection, thinks the cover is awesome, needs it to complete the set, etc etc.

Like, the most recent covers that I've loved are the Marvel 50th Anniversary Homage covers, and the Marko Djurdjevic X-Men and Wolverine connecting covers.

If something were to have happened like the Joker's Daughter thing, but with those, I would have been VERY disappointed and annoyed if the store ASSUMED that I was going to try to flip those, and therefore charged me huge amounts for them.

I think the fairest stores (other than ones that sell at cover), find a happy middle ground between cover and eBay prices (for shelf copies). For subscribers, I think cover is fair (MAYBE an extra buck or two).

I find it kindah funny how some folks are outraged that shops are pulling the hot ones off the rack and selling them for $20-$40 a pop.

So long as they are not sc*r*wing over a file cusomer who pre-ordered and shorting them (which would be a grievous sin), i see nothing wrong with that. they have no obligation to put a $40 book out on the rack at $3.99 so someone can rush in and buy up all the copies and make 10X the money. Am I happy if they don't and I can cash in? Sure. I just don't expect it.

is it bad business? i don't even think so. so long as they have a bunch of the 3D covers out there that might be getting $6-$10 on ebay at cover price I don't think anyone is going to hate them too much. my main shop had JD at $40 (and sold all their copies in a minute), but Bane 1, Doomsday, Riddler and some others at $3.99. A few of the 3Ds were at $6-$10.

I agree and have no problem with what somebody charges. That is happening here in town and I hold no ill will toward the shop that is profiting the most from this. I on the other hand have made the choice of going to the shop that took care of me for any future purchases that they can fill. I want to return the favor. I buy a small amount of new each month and a lot of older stuff locally so IMHO one shop was thinking of today and the other for tomorrow.

If you're buying older back issues, they should be thanking you. Most back issues sit for years and decades, and don't move. The bins get cherry-picked, and then the stores are left with stuff that 95% of collectors aren't looking for.

I will also go ahead and reveal my orders (I cut and pasted this right off the diamond retailer website), so you can get an idea of what I thought, as a retailer, vs what was shipped, allocated:

order code/description/quantity I ordered/quantity I was allocated/release date

JUL130196 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #23.4 JOKERS DAUGHTER 250 90 9/25/2013

JUL130195 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #23.3 CLAYFACE 200 145 9/18/2013

JUL130194 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #23.2 MR FREEZE 200 136 9/11/2013

JUL130193 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #23.1 VENTRILOQUIST 225 142 9/4/2013

Is this a significant increase over what you would normally order on all of these titles ?

not really...we sell about 125 of batman the dark knight to subs and another 25+ off the shelf... I bumped the jokers daughter and the ventriloquist based on my sub orders being heavier for those 2, and anticipating more demand from non subs for these cool 3 d covers (novelty or impulse sale).. as it turned out, I was able to fill all sub orders except for the jokers daughter, but did fill with 2d which many of my readers were ok with/preferred ($1 cheaper...we cultivate readers in our store, more than "collectors")... I was able to buy enough 3d's from other sources to get a 3d to everyone of my preorders, and have 1 copy left over (which I am going to offer here to the boards soon)

but the Jokers daughter was the only 3d folks could not buy off the shelf for cover less discount...we did have plenty of 2d's for them though

Why does that extra buck always seem to be such an issue for people?? Do they not realise it's only a dollar??

This whole even seems fishy to me from the get go. 2c

Not sure if this was mentioned before (probably), but there's that whole thing with the actual raw materials (plastic) to make the covers being limited, and the extra time it takes to make/print these.

Towards 4th week, maybe plastic supplies were lower than expected? Or couldn't get enough printed in time?

(shrug) (shrug) (shrug)

What is First Born, and what's the big deal about it?

WW's brother. Son of Zesus

So the big deal is.... (shrug)

Just a lower-print-run issue?

That is my understanding of it.

WW has lower issues ordered so lower print run for this 3D issue.

It was talked about earlier but JD was printed on Catwoman numbers (low)

Dial E was printed on Dial H numbers (Crazy low)

In 5 to 10 years these will probably be very easy to get and will be in some cheap bin. Everyone who wanted to collect them got theirs. Many even ignored this month special. I would stick with buying first appearances and flipping these as u can. Only ones I can see staying at a wanted value are Harley Quinn and jokers daughter, maybe a couple but the rest I don't see valuable in the future. Very fun to find and collect but in the long run in my opinion, you could be making quick cash if the time is right

I really wish people would stop saying this about every comic that has a shred of value right now.

Almost all normal, run-of-the-mill back issues from 5-10 years ago are either cover, or $5. Only ones I really see in $1 bins are ones from early 90's, or ones that are in awful shape (no bags and boards, or just bent up, etc.).

I'm telling everyone right now, yes, you may or may not get huge amounts in the future on these, but you won't lose money if you bought at cover.

My opinion, at the MINIMUM, these will be $10 wall-books/back issue books from now until the end of time. Now way that they won't. I can not fathom a store having these in a year, two years, fifteen years, and not charge $10-$15 for one.

This whole even seems fishy to me from the get go. 2c

Not sure if this was mentioned before (probably), but there's that whole thing with the actual raw materials (plastic) to make the covers being limited, and the extra time it takes to make/print these.

Towards 4th week, maybe plastic supplies were lower than expected? Or couldn't get enough printed in time?

(shrug) (shrug) (shrug)

I believe DC printed somewhere that they bought the necessary plastic prior to printing any of the books. The villain from the book was not necessarily printed in amount of that particular title.

JD printed from Catwoman numbers not Dark Knight

Dial E from Dial H numbers not Justice League

In 5 to 10 years these will probably be very easy to get and will be in some cheap bin. Everyone who wanted to collect them got theirs. Many even ignored this month special. I would stick with buying first appearances and flipping these as u can. Only ones I can see staying at a wanted value are Harley Quinn and jokers daughter, maybe a couple but the rest I don't see valuable in the future. Very fun to find and collect but in the long run in my opinion, you could be making quick cash if the time is right

I don't see them being 'easy to get'...the value may drop but I can't imagine them showing up in dollar bins since stores seem to have very little back stock.

:golfclap:(worship):applause:

I don't see them being 'easy to get'...the value may drop but I can't imagine them showing up in dollar bins since stores seem to have very little back stock.

+1 I agree. I can't see these sitting in long boxes anywhere at a lcs. The only way I would see this is if a collector brought them into a lcs otherwise I don't see tons of these showing up in lcs. 2c

(worship):applause::golfclap:

+1 I agree. I can't see these sitting in long boxes anywhere at a lcs. The only way I would see this is if a collector brought them into a lcs otherwise I don't see tons of these showing up in lcs. 2c

I agree

I think the Avg price may fix at 7.00 per issue for most but 10-12 of them will fetch double digit prices with full sets 400+

Sounds about right. Maybe SLIGHTLY higher than seven, depending on how many keep there's in their collection (I assume quite a few), and how many try to dump.

Speaking of stores keeping copies if you reserve and those that don't and lean on first come first serve, is there any tactic to get them to change their minds? I mean one store that I sometimes shop at won't hold at all. They will call and tell me if something is in but its like a race to get there.

For most who won't hold, it's like an ethics thing. They stay out of the holds, and price guaging, to make it fair for everyone, keep things on even ground.

Some, however, will respond to $$$.

Awaiting Dre's Market Killing Sales Thread... :popcorn:

Coming now lol

I looked at your modern sales thread and all I saw was boobs. Lots of boobs. They were very impressive but I was not getting the 3D effect I was looking for.

Wrong sales thread lol

Love those triple threat covers (Football, Comics, and Women)!

What do people think the timeline for this bubble is? A week? A month??

???

-slym

It could be longer. There seems to be a lot of electricity on these besides the speculators. Most won't matter in the long run other than for the set and run collectors but some like the JD seem to matter to people even if they didn't like the story. It will be interesting to see.

Pretty sure the story in New Mutants #98 wasn't memorable. :insane: