• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

Not counting Forever Evil do you know how many 3D Villian covers there are total. I think I have 52 different covers (cost a small fortune) but I know one of them is not Parasite.

There should be 52 Villain covers. Forever Evil 3d is #53 and Unchained SDCC 3D might be #54 to some. I don't it toward my hunt since it features a DC hero.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-Unchained-1-3D-Lenticular-RRP-Variant-CGC-9-8-5x-SS-/161109737029?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2582e37e45

Thank you for your time

In 5 to 10 years these will probably be very easy to get and will be in some cheap bin. Everyone who wanted to collect them got theirs. Many even ignored this month special. I would stick with buying first appearances and flipping these as u can. Only ones I can see staying at a wanted value are Harley Quinn and jokers daughter, maybe a couple but the rest I don't see valuable in the future. Very fun to find and collect but in the long run in my opinion, you could be making quick cash if the time is right

In 5 to 10 years these will probably be very easy to get and will be in some cheap bin. Everyone who wanted to collect them got theirs. Many even ignored this month special. I would stick with buying first appearances and flipping these as u can. Only ones I can see staying at a wanted value are Harley Quinn and jokers daughter, maybe a couple but the rest I don't see valuable in the future. Very fun to find and collect but in the long run in my opinion, you could be making quick cash if the time is right

I don't see them being 'easy to get'...the value may drop but I can't imagine them showing up in dollar bins since stores seem to have very little back stock.

I don't see them being 'easy to get'...the value may drop but I can't imagine them showing up in dollar bins since stores seem to have very little back stock.

+1 I agree. I can't see these sitting in long boxes anywhere at a lcs. The only way I would see this is if a collector brought them into a lcs otherwise I don't see tons of these showing up in lcs. 2c

You people are kind of using an educated guess how many copies are out in the wild.....could be off by quite a bit one way or the other.

I am basing what I wrote on the information that is currently available to me.

DC sells on average around 1.9 to 2.0 million copies per month for all of the titles that fall under the "new 52" line combined (or at least the best selling 52 issues). Sometimes that have more than 52 due to new titles launching, but regardless, their top 52 books each month total about 1.9-2 million copies.

Another forum user mentioned that they printed around 2.5 million books for Villains Month. I have no idea if that is accurate. But it makes sense since the 3D covers are a special one-and-done occurrence that saw higher than expected demand for preorders that they amped up the print runs.

A difference of 600,000 copies may seem like quite a bit. But that is split among 52 different books. As we all know, DC's most popular books like Batman and Justice League both have monthly print runs of over 100k, and each of those titles had four books release this month under their respective titles. So an extra 600k copies isn't all that many IF the average sales on a monthly book can be maintained across all four weeks.

Also, some of the lesser printed titles like All Star Western didn't get a dedicated book for Villains Month. That book sees around 15k copies sold per month. DC obviously didn't get any sales from that title this month. But those sales could be made up by releasing a 2nd book from another more popular monthly title like Aquaman. With Aquaman sales around 40k each month, DC can double dip on the Aquaman readers this month who purchased both Aquaman 23.1 and 23.2.

I COULD be completely wrong on all of this, but this is what I think based on what I've heard.

+1 I agree. I can't see these sitting in long boxes anywhere at a lcs. The only way I would see this is if a collector brought them into a lcs otherwise I don't see tons of these showing up in lcs. 2c

I agree

I think the Avg price may fix at 7.00 per issue for most but 10-12 of them will fetch double digit prices with full sets 400+

Pricing, whattta you think...

When prices are on the rise I think to find the cheapest price to my location then go down a few and I find my target...

Right now with the allocation and re-allocation I think prices are very much on the rise...

I would check back at a lot of local shops within the next two weeks. Some subscribers only get comics out of their file once a month and they may decide they don't like the 3D cover or would rather pay $2.99 for the standard cover as opposed to $3.99 for the lenticular cover. I had a shop call me yesterday to say that another subscriber didn't want a particular 3D cover so they asked if I wanted it. I said sure, which one? Dial E or something or another the girl said. Ended up picking it up for cover price.

So at CGC...

Week 1 3Ds & 2Ds - Graded, in Quality Control (Encapsulation) Hell (96 books)

Week 2 3Ds & 2Ds - Graded, looks like all passed 9.8 Pre-screen (88 books)

Week 3 3Ds & 2Ds - Verified (91 books)

Week 4 3Ds & 2Ds - On their way to CGC, should be "Received" tomorrow. (101 books)

I'm trying to figure out what I should do with my extra 3Ds. Sell as weekly sets or break them up and sell them individually?

(shrug)

individually would probably get more money in theory, but weekly sets might take the cake for 3d covers. it seems most want to complete sets, id go sets for this.

some of the week 1s should be shipped tomorrow, and friday. week 2 just made it into qc so maybe shipped next week. i just sent in week 3 and 4 today 62 books

Just wondering on those prescreen submissions, If you send in 60 you are actually creating 2 invoices, but for 62 books you are creating 3 invoices. Maybe stopping at 60 is wise.

i accidentally sent in 31 per invoice, 7 instead of 6 and 5 instead of 4. so they called and asked if i wanted the 2 extra books on hose invoices i said sure. not sure if they will charge me but i hope they dont.

Speaking of stores keeping copies if you reserve and those that don't and lean on first come first serve, is there any tactic to get them to change their minds? I mean one store that I sometimes shop at won't hold at all. They will call and tell me if something is in but its like a race to get there.

Speaking of stores keeping copies if you reserve and those that don't and lean on first come first serve, is there any tactic to get them to change their minds? I mean one store that I sometimes shop at won't hold at all. They will call and tell me if something is in but its like a race to get there.

Why wouldn't they do a pull list?

Why wouldn't they do a pull list?

I don't have one there cause I don't buy 3 consistent titles I tend to jump around. Another store I don't have a pull at has no problem if I order something or ask them to hold one back etc. I was just wondering if anyone has had some successful tactics to get lcs to start doing that.

well you build a relationship with a shop...In that you always pick up what you order; comic shops hate it when people abandon their boxes...they are left with a bunch of comics they can't sell.....

+1

I see my LCS call people all the time asking if they are coming to get the comics they ordered.

So at CGC...

Week 1 3Ds & 2Ds - Graded, in Quality Control (Encapsulation) Hell (96 books)

Week 2 3Ds & 2Ds - Graded, looks like all passed 9.8 Pre-screen (88 books)

Week 3 3Ds & 2Ds - Verified (91 books)

Week 4 3Ds & 2Ds - On their way to CGC, should be "Received" tomorrow. (101 books)

I'm trying to figure out what I should do with my extra 3Ds. Sell as weekly sets or break them up and sell them individually?

(shrug)

individually would probably get more money in theory, but weekly sets might take the cake for 3d covers. it seems most want to complete sets, id go sets for this.

some of the week 1s should be shipped tomorrow, and friday. week 2 just made it into qc so maybe shipped next week. i just sent in week 3 and 4 today 62 books

Just wondering on those prescreen submissions, If you send in 60 you are actually creating 2 invoices, but for 62 books you are creating 3 invoices. Maybe stopping at 60 is wise.

i accidentally sent in 31 per invoice, 7 instead of 6 and 5 instead of 4. so they called and asked if i wanted the 2 extra books on hose invoices i said sure. not sure if they will charge me but i hope they dont.

No wonder why my 10 books are taking forever, thanks guys !!!!