• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man saves the day, pays for local woman's wedding.

38 posts in this topic

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, Ohio – Jane Schaen is getting married in two weeks and Spider-Man is paying for a big chunk of her reception.

And he didn’t even get an invitation to the wedding.

Her father, Richard Schaen, 69, was a little concerned about the cost of his eldest daughter’s pending nuptials until he remembered an old box of comic books he had stored away.

The retired electronics technician found the box, blew off the dust, and carefully opened it. The first book he saw was the well-preserved copy of “Amazing Spider-Man” No. 1, which he bought at a long-forgotten drugstore in Columbus when it came out in March 1963 for a whopping 12 cents.

He listed the comic with Comiclink.com, an auction company and was happily surprised when it sold for $7,900. Even minus the listing fee, the comic Schaen bought when he was 19 turned out to be quite a bargain at about $7,000. The condition was listed as a 6.5 on a scale of 10. A perfect copy could sell for three or four times more than that.

“I gave my daughter a promissory note for the money with a picture of the Spider-Man comic, which we can use to pay for a big part of the catering for her reception,” he said.

Read the rest of the story and see other books he has here - http://www.cleveland.com/comic-books/index.ssf/2013/08/spidey_saves_the_day_pays_for.html#incart_river

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, Ohio – Jane Schaen is getting married in two weeks and Spider-Man is paying for a big chunk of her reception.

Her father, Richard Schaen, 69, was a little concerned about the cost of his eldest daughter’s pending nuptials until he remembered an old box of comic books he had stored away.

The retired electronics technician found the box, blew off the dust, and carefully opened it. The first book he saw was the well-preserved copy of “Amazing Spider-Man” No. 1, which he bought at a long-forgotten drugstore in Columbus when it came out in March 1963 for a whopping 12 cents.

He listed the comic with Comiclink.com, an auction company and was happily surprised when it sold for $7,900. Even minus the listing fee, the comic Schaen bought when he was 19 turned out to be quite a bargain at about $7,000. The condition was listed as a 6.5 on a scale of 10. A perfect copy could sell for three or four times more than that.

“I gave my daughter a promissory note for the money with a picture of the Spider-Man comic, which we can use to pay for a big part of the catering for her reception,” he said.

Read the rest of the story and see other books he has here - http://www.cleveland.com/comic-books/index.ssf/2013/08/spidey_saves_the_day_pays_for.html#incart_river

A perfect Amazing Spider-Man #1 would only be worth $21,000-$28,000?

:takeit:

lol

It's amazing how some of these fictional superheroes could end up saving our lives one day

This is a very true statement. I know for me as a kid, reading Spider-Man and the Punisher (ok, maybe the latter one is not the best role model) absolutely played a role in who I am and what I do. There are sick kids out there where Spider-Man is the one thing that makes them happy. That is what makes these characters so important.

Wait - $7000 only covers part of the catering bill??

If they have a wedding big enough that $7K won't cover the entire catering job, it doesn't sound like they needed to sell anything to begin with.

To me, this story stinks.

-slym

If they have a wedding big enough that $7K won't cover the entire catering job, it doesn't sound like they needed to sell anything to begin with.

-slym

Catering can easily cost $30 or $40 per person for a modern meal. When you pay for anything wedding related the price is inflated. Come to think of it I think our catering bill was at least $30 per plate 20 years ago so I'm probably way, way low.

Mashed potatos ain't cheap :preach:

Hmm... seems out of all the factors, the reception (not catering alone) is the single-largest expenditure of any wedding, and usually takes 30-35% of the entire budget.

So, this story might not stink as bad as I originally thought.

:sorry:

-slym (...but still!)

-slym

Catering can easily cost $30 or $40 per person for a modern meal. When you pay for anything wedding related the price is inflated. Come to think of it I think our catering bill was at least $30 per plate 20 years ago so I'm probably way, way low.

Mashed potatos ain't cheap :preach:

Depending on where the Meal/Reception is the cost per meal covers the hall rental and alcohol bill. Plus the more people invited the higher the cost.

The father might have mean that as well.

My wedding reception cost a bit (Wedding gifts paid for it all) but it included alcohol and other items.

The Spiderman book will definetly take a big chunk out of costs.

Wedding expenses differ by state. I remember reading that NYS (NYC and LI - upstate is just Sox country) was one of the more expensive states to be married in.

Average Cost of a wedding for a manhattan couple, $76,000. Highest in the country. For us in North New Jersey we get off "Cheaper" at only $49,000. We are third highest, behind Chicago by a few bucks.

BTW my cousins wedding was 200 people at $250 a person just for the catering hall (Granted that does include open bar) So 50k just for food. Then there is the photographer, wedding dress, flowers, and all that other stuff. We think she spent around 80-100k on her wedding (She had two wedding dresses) Good thing she is a gold digger lol

A perfect Amazing Spider-Man #1 would only be worth $21,000-$28,000?

:takeit:

lol

Time payments, please!

BTW my cousins wedding was 200 people at $250 a person just for the catering hall (Granted that does include open bar) So 50k just for food. Then there is the photographer, wedding dress, flowers, and all that other stuff. We think she spent around 80-100k on her wedding (She had two wedding dresses) Good thing she is a gold digger lol

Holy .. I thought mine was bad at $80 a head for the reception....and that was with a premium open bar...

Thank God I didnt need to sell that many comics

Hence the reason I am just gonna get married on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean over in San diego, just me my parents and Brother and my fiancé and her family. Take the money we save on a monster wedding and buy a house. And I won't have to sell any books!