• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Technology Could Destroy Art Market

10 posts in this topic

This technology seemed to be predicted in John Cusack's '2012' end of days movie/dvd :cool: when they hung up near exact replicas of the Mona Lisa in the Louvre. Hi-end Frazetta giclees with a few brush strokes added for 3D effect were released about 5 years ago weren't they? :gossip:

Basically 3d giclees aka inkjet prints. People already pay a lot for prints, there is Thomas Kinkade who sold prints which were touched up with manual brush strokes by someone other than Kinkade. Those sold for a lot of money. So 3d prints aren't much different.

ok I thought the question was whether the OA market would be affected by high quality computer proofs, and to me they are apples and oranges.

I see lots of people happily spending $39 to $250 on nice colorful prints of characters and comics images they want to frame at home. I see this as home furnishing more than "investing" in OA. no?

I'm not seeing the impact either.

I mean, this is the essence of the comic book, really. Twenty-two pages of finished, four color art that can be had cheaply on racks or longboxes pretty much everywhere, and yet we still break out the checkbook for the original art.

I have a couple high quality prints of some of Monet's work hanging in the homestead, but if I had the means to acquire the original, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

There's more intrinsic value in the original that the creator laid his or her hands on, than any reproduction, no matter how high quality.