• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Con Report with pics.

73 posts in this topic

Rodney Fyke just posted on Facebook that the vendor next to him had $400 stolen from him at the show. Why is this becoming a common trend? It is a shame to hear stories like this.

A couple of years ago in Baltimore one of our board members had his money pouch lifted from his booth with every cent he had. I don't want to name him unless he wants to come on and do it but it was a real downer.

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason but when stuff like this happens it's certainly disheartening and sad. you just want to find the person and give them what they have coming to them.

I do believe that what comes around goes around and that everyone eventually gets what's coming to them.

Good luck to that vendor. :wishluck:

Rodney Fyke just posted on Facebook that the vendor next to him had $400 stolen from him at the show. Why is this becoming a common trend? It is a shame to hear stories like this.

Totally unacceptable. It's this type of activity that will keep vendors form coming back the following year. :sumo:

What a crazy day. I know in the past Sundays were the slow day, but not this year. Now it was nowhere near the size from Saturday, but it was a nice size crowd. I think part of this has to do with people coming back for a second day to accomplish a goal.I think the other part has to do with the costume contest being moved to Sunday.

There was a big crowd by the Comic Book Men booth. I stopped over but didn't get in line to talk to them. Say what you want about the show the booth had a big draw and it will be on an up coming episode. Hopefully it will make the con look good.

Take this advice, walk the entire show at some point. Sure you know where you favorite artist/write/dealer is, but you may run into someone you once liked and forgot about. For example in 1988 I found the comic Trekker on the comic stand. It was published by Dark Horse and created by Ron Randall. I really liked the book but it was canceled after the 6th issue. I really liked the book and still have the copies in my collection, but never heard about the character again. Well while walking around in artiest ally I see a Trekker display and Ron Randall. It seems that over the years there were more Trekker stories, even an issue published by Image. I never knew this. So I talked to Mr. Randall for a few minutes letting him know how much I liked the character. Lucky for me we have the Trekker Omnibus which collects all the stories in on convenient book.

TrekkerOmnibus.jpg

He was even nice enough to sign it for me.

TrekkerSig.jpg

Like I said walk around. If I would have confined myself to just the dealer's area I would have never see this item, and it's one of my best purchases.

This isn't the only example of walking and finding things, I also found a cool Superman poster where the artist used Christopher Reeve. It captures him as Superman (and Clark) perfectly. I also found a Space 1999 omnibus. Both items I am happy to have, but I'm ecstatic to find the Trekker book, and the knowledge that more stories are coming.

As for the comic side of things I can say that the dollar boxes were hit hard this year. I was able to find a few items for myself here, but mostly they are for Halloween. Every year we carry the spinner rack outside, load it up with comics and let the kids take on in addition to their candy treat. It's a big hit with both the kids and their parents. As for the dollar books, if you have stuff that you need to move bring it to Baltimore in a dollar box and it will sell. If you leave the old $5.00 price sticker on the book it will move even faster.

By 3:00 it looked as if most of the comic book deals were done. If you wanted something you most likely had it by now. If you waited it was most likely sold to someone else. For me it was a lot easier to move around and look in boxes by this point and I was able to find some Superman books I wanted. I'll leave it up to the dealers who frequent this site to report how their sales were on Sunday. I'm guess they weren't as good as Saturday, but look better than past Sunday sales.

One thing I didn't get and please if someone knows either say here or send me a PM but one dealer near the back had a Superman Man of Steel #18 for $100.00 and a DC Comics Presents #47 for $100.00. Did something happen recently that I don't know about? If so then I hit the jackpot for I have the DCCP #47 and multiple copies of MoS #18.

I actually saw another copy of Batman #15. If you need it gor to Superworld comics.

Another question on prices, when did the big jump occur on New Mutants #98? I know it's the First Deadpool, but $200+ is a lot for that book isn't it?

Again there were a lot of little kids at the show. As I said before it's nice to see them interested. I saw two little ones, a boy and a girl with their dad. The boy was dressed as Batman and the girl was Batgirl. Dad had a green shirt and green hair looking like a very tame Joker. It was cool to see.

Not sure what time the O's game started, but it ended at about 4:45 so it made getting out a little more interesting than normal.

OK on to the costume pics.

Well that's all I have. I won't bore you with all my purchases (unless that's what you want.) I will say the show going to three day next year is a great idea. Even with the expanded hours on Saturday I felt I could have spent more time walking the floor. How the vendors feel I'm not sure, but I have an idea. All I can say is I can't wait until next year for from a fan's perspective this is a great show and well worth the time and money to attend.