• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 comics to read before you die

88 posts in this topic

Solar: Man of the Atom from VALIANT #s 1-10

:luhv:

Great combination of a superb story (well, dual-story) and knock-me-over artwork. Other Valiant greats.

- X-O Manowar (Vol 1) #1-5

- Shadowman (Vol 1) #1-6

- Magnus (Vol 1) #1-12

- Eternal Warrior (Vol 1) #6-7 (Master Darque)

- Archer & Armstrong #0, 3

Depends on what you are into..of course

but

1) Dark Knight Returns (and only DKR, not anything that followed)

2) Watchmen

3) Miller daredevil Electra series

4) Judge Dredd 2000 AD (only Progs 2 to say 1200)

5) AF15 and Amazing Spiderman 1 - 10

6) Fantastic Four 1 - 10

7) Crime Suspenstories 22

hmmm....will keep thinking

The whole run of EC's Shock Suspenstories(every EC genre is represented here, along with the preachies, which deal with racism, anti semitism, anti Catholicism, and drug addiction. Way ahead of their time, and well done).

Amazing Spider-Man 1-40(all of the Ditko issues, plus the end of the first Green Goblin story arc)

Batman #'s 1 and 5(the two best GA issues of that title)

All of the Barks Duck books

Avengers 4

The Killing Joke

That's just off the top of my head.

The whole run of EC's Shock Suspenstories(every EC genre is represented here, along with the preachies, which deal with racism, anti semitism, anti Catholicism, and drug addiction. Way ahead of their time, and well done).

Amazing Spider-Man 1-40(all of the Ditko issues, plus the end of the first Green Goblin story arc)

Avengers 4

The Killing Joke

Its better to store books like that in long boxes.

They might fall off your head.

- Dark Horse Presents 1-100: Great mix of many stories

+1 DHP has some incredible reading in those pages

my faves to read again & again

Lone Wolf & Cub

Fables

Sandman

Usagi Yojimbo

Bone

Yummy Fur

Slaine : The Horned God

Groo the Wanderer

Three pages and no Neal Adams to be found...has his GL/GA series fallen out of favor? Haven't read it in over 30 years but teenage me was quite impressed.

Avengers Annual 7 was the very first book I bought when emerging from my three decades of comics hibernation.

Three pages and no Neal Adams to be found...has his GL/GA series fallen out of favor? Haven't read it in over 30 years but teenage me was quite impressed.

Art of course stands up, but the story is dated at this point.

It is a classic "of it's time" story. Important in its historical context, but not iconic.

...but the story is dated at this point.

It is a classic "of it's time" story. Important in its historical context, but not iconic.

So the run, initially seen as cool and progressive, has turned out to be naive and dated. Isn't that pretty much the plot of GL/GA 76? Ironic.

Funny seeing all the lists of the Ditko/Lee Spider-Man run. While I love the run, I really feel like the Romita/Lee run has aged so much better. I think the must read should run from 1-122 of Spidey. Then jump back in for the Hobgoblin arc.

Everything else has been mentioned in here already. I've even added some of this stuff to my Amazon wish list that keeps growing.

Funny seeing all the lists of the Ditko/Lee Spider-Man run. While I love the run, I really feel like the Romita/Lee run has aged so much better. I think the must read should run from 1-122 of Spidey. Then jump back in for the Hobgoblin arc.

Everything else has been mentioned in here already. I've even added some of this stuff to my Amazon wish list that keeps growing.

You know I think you are right that the Romia run is much more readable, the thing about the Ditko part of the run was the # of homeruns that Lee/Ditko hit in creating all of Spidey's enemies.

In 40 issues we got:

Doc Oc

Green Goblin

Samndman

The Lizard

Vulture

Mysterio

Electro

Kraven the Hunter

The Scorpion

and those are just the homeruns. Thats not even counting all of the non-villians that were created in Spidey's world.

Romita's run is far more readable, and brings Spidey from being super nerdy to more manageabley awkard.

Avengers 4

The Killing Joke

Its better to store books like that in long boxes.

They might fall off your head.

Never thought of that...

Two characters from the golden age deserve a mention for great stories.

Daredevil by Cole & Brio

The Spirit by Eisner

And two of my favorite titles from the bronze/copper age: Warlord and Jon Sable.

If you like one shots look into The Pro and Mad Love.

Camelot 3000

Entire first series of Jon Sable

Tale of One Bad Rat

Ellis' Stormwatch series plus the Wildcats/Aliens one shot.

Alan Moore's Supreme

WE3

Light Brigade

... countless others that no one remembers :(