• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT? October Avatar Contest?

291 posts in this topic

found it, please don't use it as a avatar though out of respect for the offended party. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

exploding-head.gif

I am offended by that image. But not in the way you think. Such represents the disturbing trend of the more modern "gross-out factor". Basically, just show gore, blood etc.

Now to me, a really cool gross-out factor, or perhaps better, shock-factor, was achieved in the opening sequence of MURDERS IN THE ZOO, where we see a longish shot, in the African jungle, of a man lying on the ground and people apparantly "attending to him", but a voice suggests certain behavior on the prone one's part must not be condoned.

Well, the man rises to his feet and stumbles towards the camers, during which time you realize his arms are tied behind him. As he approaches for a tight close-up, it is seen that his mouth has been crudely sewn shut with very a coarse twine. We do not see his fate - there is no need to see him being disembowled by a jungle beast. This sequence has far more impact. By the way, this filmed in 1933! Now THAT'S horror! grin.gif

I think the best response I can muster is sleeping.gif

I'm keeping it to a comic theme: Lois Lane #1, "The Witch of Metropolis". Yeeha!

Joana,

You are the Queen of the forums, you can do WHATEVER you want! BTW, good choice!

flowerred.gifhi.gif