• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone seen this lovely auction?

27 posts in this topic

As I've mentioned in a previous thread, I was this close to being taken for over $5,000 for an auction similar to this. The books turned out to be extremely overgraded and mostly restored. One day I was thinking I hit the jackpot, and the next day I was desperately calling my bank to cancel the check. That seller had a private auction as well.

Sky: were you able to cancel the check in time? I'm surprised the seller would send the goods ('bads'?) before the check cleared.

Of course, there's always the outside chance that these comics belonged to the seller's elderly relations who just kept 'em in an attic all these years... insane.gif

Sky: were you able to cancel the check in time? I'm surprised the seller would send the goods ('bads'?) before the check cleared.

Of course, there's always the outside chance that these comics belonged to the seller's elderly relations who just kept 'em in an attic all these years... insane.gif

Actually here's the whole story, as I had stated in a previous post:

The biggest fraud occurred last year, when I was fairly new to EBAY. This one person had listed a bunch of early Silver Age Marvel and DC books. The books had scans shown and were listed in excellent and superb conditions. After the bidding was completed on all his books, I wound up with X-Men 1-10, Avengers #2, JLA#1 and a lot of 20 SA books. The total came out to $5,000, and I sent him a personal check. I was assuming that the books were in FN / FN+ range from the scans. The person had only 7 feedbacks but were all for key books, such as AF#15. As I was checking his feedbacks, I noticed the 6th one was from a person who stated the books were in much better condition than described. I clicked on that persons purchases and noticed the same books sold to me. The kicker was that most of these books were CGC graded, low grade, restored books. The seller had used 2 separate ID's and was taking his recently bought restored books out of their CGC slabs and selling them as his 30 year old collection. I became sure when I noticed the same pencil marks on the scans for the books I had purchased. I quickly called my bank, and thankfully was able to cancel the check 7 days after I had sent it. I called the person and he denied everything but was very scared when I threatened to expose him. The weird thing was that he had aleady sent the books before the check cleared. However, once I received the books I sent them right back to him at my own expense. From that point on, I only purchase books from reputable sellers.

From that point on, I only purchase books from reputable sellers.

Two points I will make on this statement.

1) If you were buying those books from a reputable dealer, chances are they would have costed more than your winning bid. Isnt that the reason why we continually buy books sight unseen from Ebay, hoping for the best?

2) Can you honestly say that every book you have bought from a reputable dealer has not come back lower than the grade given/bought as, or unrestored?

I am not trying to knock any dealers out there, but realistically there have been times I won a book in an auction, and bought the same book from a reputable dealer which

A. Cost me more

B. Book which I paid less for came back graded higher.

From that point on, I only purchase books from reputable sellers.

Two points I will make on this statement.

1) If you were buying those books from a reputable dealer, chances are they would have costed more than your winning bid. Isnt that the reason why we continually buy books sight unseen from Ebay, hoping for the best?

2) Can you honestly say that every book you have bought from a reputable dealer has not come back lower than the grade given/bought as, or unrestored?

I am not trying to knock any dealers out there, but realistically there have been times I won a book in an auction, and bought the same book from a reputable dealer which

A. Cost me more

B. Book which I paid less for came back graded higher.

I agree with your statement. What I meant by my comment is that you need to check someone's feedback and rating before bidding. From now on I will not spend $300 to $400 on an item when I'm not completely sure that the seller would deliver on his promise. At least with the major dealers or sellers, I will at least receive the book. That being said, there are plenty of amateur (lack of a better word) sellers out there that are fantastic to deal with. What I typically do is purchase a couple of $10 or $20 books from them before bidding on their major items (the trust has to be built first). I too have had a couple of books that received higher scores than described, but that's nothing compared to all the times I've purchased NM- books that turned out to be VG+.

Ok no cool table cloths but they could use one and what the heck is in the back ground... Car parts??? I think that is what it is anyway... sign-offtopic.gif I did not wanna start a new thread, cause, well.. Im lazy...

What the?????

The seller knows enough webdesign to load the fancy background but can put any decent pictures up screwy.gif

Look at the box on the far right with the serious water stains on the bottom... It looks like the drip marks on the concrete lead right to it

I wonder what is hiding under all those nice covers For 20K U think they could use some better pics screwy.gif

I won't bid on an auction with feedback hiden. I don't feel anyone should. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Biggest scam you can do is to hide feedback. Why would you not want to show your feedback, unless you have something to hide?893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just MHO. hi.gif