• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Read the comics that your mom, Dr. Fredric Werthless, and the U.S. Senate didn't

32 posts in this topic

I don't buy many monthly books and I miss out on things. I ran into this book at a comic shops clearance bin. They had numbers 2-4 and I bought 1 and 5 on line.

These are reprinting horror books from the 50'. They don't look to be Marvel or DC, so reprints on these are hard to find.

I know they are just reprints, but I don't have the funds to get the real things. Looks like this is going to be a series they are putting out every 2 months.

I also picked up the small run called, "Seduction of the Innocent" which reprinted more of those types of stories.

Anyone else get into these types of books for the reading of them?

f40f21e0-f7dd-42ee-9de7-f4a3b21775c7_zpsf4cb5c05.jpg

HauntedHorrors_1-copy-5jpeg_zpsb9e75f07.jpg

seduction_zps239d54b6.jpg

Don't be a fool. Wertham didn't hate comics.... he didn't even regard them. He was so far above them in his professional position, that it "fell" to him to deal with them because of his position.... and that meant that he had to pay effin attention to what the "out of control, anything goes" comic book publishers were putting out at that time, which very well, could have been the "extremely influenced by organized crime"..... "" like 50's CRIME and HORROR comics !!

The guy was the effin Dr. in conference for the Rosenburgs traitor hearings for the United States Supreme Court Hearings!!! He wasn't no back alley Joe !! He wasn't no piker !!

If some parts of the comics industry were effed up in the 50's... then I believe him. His book and findings are freaking responisble for the whole SILVER AGE and MARVEL REVOLUTION !! You Marvel zombies should effin love Wertham...... IMO :grin::hi:

IMG_3367_zps3e59e4f6.jpg

Yeah, he paved the way for the industry to self regulate itself and put its biggest competition out of business.

Key word is "biggest competition". That company failed to compete :(

Yeah, he paved the way for the industry to self regulate itself and put its biggest competition out of business.

Key word is "biggest competition". That company failed to compete :(

Well, he got the last laugh as Mad Magazine was a huge monster of a success. Without the creation of the Marvel Universe who knows what would've happen to mainstream comics. Introducing comics to an older audience after the code essentially had relegated comic books to children.

Someday, someone will take a serious look into what killed the comics industry. I personally think it had much less to do with these phony outrages as it did with the fact that the mob moved from magazine distribution into record distribution and without the dozens of mobbed up distributors to sell their products, comics died. Not unlike the many independent books that died when the Diamond was the last survivor in the most recent round of distribution wars

It is my opinion that comic collectors.... who of course are interested in, and ready to glorify and pay attention to, every subtle detail of comic book history, without regard to its greater importance and influence, the artwork alone of these amazing books of the past, of which I do not disagree that they were superb in the artwork dept...... and which is, in part due to the fantastic success of MAD Magazine !!

If you agree that MAD was a successful enterprise..... then also consider that MAD steered clear of ALL CRIME and HORROR content for the remainder its publishers life....except in a satirical manner.

It is my opinion that comic collectors.... who of course are interested in, and ready to glorify and pay attention to, every subtle detail of comic book history, without regard to its greater importance and influence, the artwork alone of these amazing books of the past, of which I do not disagree that they were superb in the artwork dept...... and which is, in part due to the fantastic success of MAD Magazine !!

If you agree that MAD was a successful enterprise..... then also consider that MAD steered clear of ALL CRIME and HORROR content for the remainder its publishers life....except in a satirical manner.

Satire is a protected form of speech. For Gaines it was a perfect vehicle for creativity, avoidance of the spotlight and giving a big middle finger to the rest of the publishers.

Satire is a protected form of speech. For Gaines it was a perfect vehicle for creativity, avoidance of the spotlight and giving a big middle finger to the rest of the publishers.

In a way.... Gaines owes the success of MAD to Wertham also !! He was forced to ..."find a new direction" ..or go out of business. :sumo:

In a way.... Gaines owes the success of MAD to Wertham also !! He was forced to ..."find a new direction" ..or go out of business. :sumo:

Yeah, but Wertham didn't put him out of business... The government didn't put him out of business... His fellow publishers did by wording their self imposed standards to specifically target his line of books.

If the publishers had banded together and fought for their first amendment rights, comics could've been accepted much earlier as an art form instead of cheap junk for kids. But they got what they wanted. Control of the market and continued cheap working conditions for hired help. So many people lost their jobs because of fear and greed.

Gaines may have turned a lemon into lemonade, but a great many more people suffered because of those publisher's.

I was wondering.... who, exactly went out of business and who didn't ?

Dell didn't....

DC didn't....

Marvel didn't....

Quality might have around that time, but I don't think it was because of this....