• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality...

41 posts in this topic

I was wondering what your thoughts are on page quality.

It seems the three most common page qualities are white, off white and cream (and their blends: off white to white; cream to off white).

However, the page quality doesn't seem to come into grader's notes. And it doesn't seem to have a major impact on the sale of books, based on minor research such as what this guy wrote:

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/by-the-numbers/does-page-color-matter/

Wondering what the opinion is of you guys.

Obviously "white" is the most desirable.. but if you saw a grade of 8.0 or higher of a key with off white or cream pages, would you buy it?

I go CrOW or better as well. I have noticed that I've gotten some good deals on CrOW's that I've bought though. I think the OW/W vs White distinction is less of a differentiator. His data are rather slim to be making any generalization. And even then it only really seems to be hinting that OW/W is virtually the same prices as White.

I'm a PQ snob. Nothing lower than OW/W for me going forward. I do have one OW book ('Tec 424), but it was dirt cheap and I was looking for a filler at the time. I've since "upgraded" to a lower grade of 8.5, but with W pages.

OW or better or old-label books, OW/W or better on new label books.

Some new-label OW might be OK, but the designation has gotten too broad now, and the current OW includes what I would call solidly cream. I can only imagine what cream-to-off-white could mean with the current standards. Even on a very scarce book, I'd consider cream-to-off-white pages on a new label too much of a risk.

I go CrOW or better as well. I have noticed that I've gotten some good deals on CrOW's that I've bought though. I think the OW/W vs White distinction is less of a differentiator.

I've gotten good deals on CROWs too. Half the time when you crack them out, they are OW or better, especially the old labels. Actually, I'm disappointed when the CROW slabs actually are CROW :lol:

I'm a PQ snob. Nothing lower than OW/W for me going forward. I do have one OW book ('Tec 424), but it was dirt cheap and I was looking for a filler at the time. I've since "upgraded" to a lower grade of 8.5, but with W pages.

I must admit I get a bit surprised that the page quality doesn't hold more sway in the grading process!

Here is my personal breakdown on minimum page quality requirements.

1930's-1950's books: Cream to off-white.

Early 1960's books: off-white.

1965-1979: off-white to white.

1980- present: White

(thumbs u

those are almost my exact guidelines as well.

Here is my personal breakdown on minimum page quality requirements.

1965-1979: off-white to white.

1980- present: White

Here's mine:

1965-present: They made comics after 1965?