• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How often do you receive books stressed by slabbing?

30 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I received a slab in the post today - a modern SS. Nice book, everything is peachy, but it looks like the book stuck to the inner well at some point and then shifted, pulling some colour up off the edge over the cover and leaving it in place.

Most noticeable bottom right corner and bottom edge.. although the lens flare from the photocopier hides it a little...

Front:

http://i.imgur.com/c4dv7Hh.jpg

Rear:

http://i.imgur.com/S4Yl2vg.jpg

(Bad scans - I used the photocopier at work lol )

To be clear, I'm not having a tanty about this. I live in Australia - so I'm not going to wear the postage to send it to CGC and I'm not ever going to re-sub it... so it will stay as a 9.8 "officially" - but the reality is that it is damaged from a purist perspective.

The key thing I'm wondering is: how often does this happen? And, not that this book was cheap, but has anyone had this happen with a book that was actually valuable?

(lol - yes I'm differentiating between "not cheap" and "valuable").

Top Edge:

avq8PVS.png

Side:

tv0a67P.png

Bottom Edge:

UjAgj8u.png

(Looks like that most of the way along)

Put it this way - I was considering breaking up and offloading books from my Batman Vol 2 SS collection.. but I can't sell this book in good conscience.

This book was a special request and a boardie did me a massive favour arranging it for me... but I think CGC maybe shouldn't have let this through QA... :shrug: That said, what could they do? Once it's done it's done!

It should have been encapsulated in an old-style inner well. I have never seen a book damaged in that way by the new-style well that CGC used on it.

You should send these scans to CGC and ask for fair compensation for the book since they destroyed it. They may want you to ship it to them first, which you should do so they can learn from the mistake. They may offer you CGC credit for your shipping expense, but I would insist on cash for the book itself.

(Actually, I see now you are down under so it would make sense to try to work it out with CGC without shipping it back.)

It should have been encapsulated in an old-style inner well. I have never seen a book damaged in that way by the new-style well that CGC used on it.

You should send these scans to CGC and ask for fair compensation for the book since they destroyed it. They may want you to ship it to them first, which you should do so they can learn from the mistake. They may offer you CGC credit for your shipping expense, but I would insist on cash for the book itself.

Always, always, always have a written deal of compensation worked out with the CGC before returning any slab to them.

Since returning to the hobby, I've noticed that modern books use paper not unlike photo paper that can get sticky when exposed to moisture. I've seen alot of pages stick together too, especially along the spine. Maybe condensation set in at one time and stuck the cover to the inner sleeve?

Since returning to the hobby, I've noticed that modern books use paper not unlike photo paper that can get sticky when exposed to moisture. I've seen alot of pages stick together too, especially along the spine. Maybe condensation set in at one time and stuck the cover to the inner sleeve?

I was wondering about the modern paper stock too. I've noticed that I leave a lot of thumb prints on modern books from just the natural oils on my hands. I don't notice that on older books.

They've upgraded paper quality, but I'm not sure it is always for the better.

+1

my guess too

+1

my guess too

They are also a nightmare to press. Inks activate at very low temperatures.

Wow I have not seen that before. Is there anything special about the cover that would make this happen?

I'm really not sure. I don't think so. I have the non-con version of this cover raw and it is extremely glossy and has embossing on the front. Perhaps the type of ink they used for that embossing and gloss isn't as reliable as standard?

Always, always, always have a written deal of compensation worked out with the CGC before returning any slab to them.

Hot tip. Thanks Doc.

It certainly looks like the slab was slightly lower and to the right, has stuck to the casing and then shifted. The thing is, maybe it's just me, but it looks really well aligned to me in the case right now. Not like it moved in shipping etc.

Not sure how moisture got in there if it did get in there. Maybe at the con? Maybe at CGC? Really not sure. Certainly the box that was sent was completely dry.. so was the bubble wrap.