• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay changes on ending auctions!

19 posts in this topic

Finally, they listen!

Announcement

***Policy Change: Ending Listings Early***

Date: 09/30/04 Time: 04:02:29 PM PDT

Next week, we are updating the policy governing when a seller may end or change their listing. This will align our sellers’ ability to manage their listings with our buyers’ ability to retract bids. Currently, buyers have limitations on retracting bids during the last 12 hours of a listing.

Today, our policy allows a seller to cancel bids and end an item at any time as long as one of the following reasons is met:

The item is no longer available for sale.

There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.

There was an error in the listing.

The item was lost or broken.

Sellers are also prevented from making changes to a listing during the final 12 hours. Beginning next week, if a listing has 12 or fewer hours remaining and has, or had, a winning bid during the final 12 hours of the listing, the seller will no longer be able to end the listing, except to sell to the current high bidder on eBay. Sellers may still cancel specific bids that they find unwelcome, but may no longer utilize the "cancel all bids and end this item" feature.

The practice of canceling all bids and ending an item early with only minutes left is very frustrating to buyers. This change should improve the overall buyer experience.

Sellers may still end listings during the final 12 hours of the listing if the item does not have any bids.

Regards,

eBay

yay.gif

Hopefully this will work! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

They should also end preapproved bidders auctions!

Every time I ask to go their list I never get a responce untill after auction over & Its allways an offer to by item at full price!

Sellers should also be given the option to block bidders with no feedback, negative feedback or some other criteria.

You can already do that . . . but the criteria is limited.

They should also end preapproved bidders auctions!

Every time I ask to go their list I never get a responce untill after auction over & Its allways an offer to by item at full price!

These are almost always complete scams, for the reasons you put forth, and for the fact that many of them are just out and out frauds. sumo.gif

It's a stupid change, that will only lead to sellers cancelling the auctions at the 12-hour point if they are not happy with the bidding progress - buyers lose again.

(1) It can give some buyers comfort in letting them know they can spend their money elsewhere (yea, I know, only 12 hours, but it's better than nothing)

(2) Sellers would be reluctant to pull auctions because they know (I hope) that a lot of bidding occurs within the last hour.

It's a stupid change, that will only lead to sellers cancelling the auctions at the 12-hour point if they are not happy with the bidding progress - buyers lose again.

(1) It can give some buyers comfort in letting them know they can spend their money elsewhere (yea, I know, only 12 hours, but it's better than nothing)

(2) Sellers would be reluctant to pull auctions because they know (I hope) that a lot of bidding occurs within the last hour.

(1) Truly disposable income, eh?

(2) Of course they know, but sellers have to make economic decisions too.

hi.gif

I think it is a great rule as it causes sellers a great deal of inconvenience to actually pull the auctions at the 12 hour point. If an auction is listed at 7 or 8 PM, then they will have to pull the auctions at 7 or 8 AM. Most likely, if a seller wants to pull an auction, they will do so almost an entire day before the auction ends. Either that, or sellers will actually put up a reserve or reasonable starting price. Bidders lose nothing from this new rule. Only the sellers who try to circumvent fees lose out. yay.gif

I think it is a great rule as it causes sellers a great deal of inconvenience to actually pull the auctions at the 12 hour point. If an auction is listed at 7 or 8 PM, then they will have to pull the auctions at 7 or 8 AM. Most likely, if a seller wants to pull an auction, they will do so almost an entire day before the auction ends. Either that, or sellers will actually put up a reserve or reasonable starting price. Bidders lose nothing from this new rule. Only the sellers who try to circumvent fees lose out. yay.gif

foreheadslap.gif nimby