• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Neal Adams Batman Book of the Day

59 posts in this topic

Probably the BEST Batman cover ever - hands down:

batman251cgc96.jpg

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

That's a great cover and a great story!

I truly don't say this to be negative, and maybe it's a misinterpretation of the

scan, but this book looks like it as a lower left corner ding, and upper right

non color-breaking bend, and several color-breaking spine creases. It's very

nice, but 9.6? Or are these just "scanner illusions"?

I don't have the book in hand and can't comment on everything, but this definitely needs a new slab. There is a huge scratch across the center of the book - above the joker's eyebrow and right below the "BATMAN".

I'm not going to pay the money to get it reslabbed though since I have no intention of selling it insane.gif

DAM

Take a look at the Grading Contest underway in the Grading/Restoration Issues forum. Those of us participating have learned 2 things:

1) GREAT BIG SCANS magnify every defect and exaggerate any problems that are virtually invisible at normal size.

2) 9.6 is not a perfect book. A 10.0 is a perfect book, so defects are expected for 9.9, 9.8, 9.6 etc.

With the exception of 1 of the rounds where there was an interior defect no one could see, I think most of the CGC forum participants were harder on the books than CGC was! 893whatthe.gif

9.6 is not a perfect book. A 10.0 is a perfect book, so defects are expected for 9.9, 9.8, 9.6 etc.

True, but one would think the types of flaws allowable on a 9.6 or better are not visable on a scan! e.g., slight non-color breaking bends, dents, etc.

In my view, a 9.6 (or better) should look PERFECT on a computer screen.

Have to agree with Dam - 251 is my favorite Batman cover,the joker looks so cool/evil standing over gotham like the king of Crime that he is ( I'm a fanboy,what can I do ??)

But this beauty comes in second if you ask me.

610761-Mail.JPG

Nice copy...its in way better shape than my copy.

Its just to hard for me to just pick one N.A. Batman but 244 & 227 has my votes for starters thumbsup2.gif If one of you has a 227 you really don't want feel free to ship it to me grin.gif

Nah I still think its between Bats 227, 237 and this...

But 251 is still a really cool bookcool.gif

505501-detective395.jpg

AWESOME book, I have been looking for a nice one of those for awhile. I anyone has a F/VF copy I would be interested. It really is hard to choose the best of his covers.....

893whatthe.gifconfused.gif EXPLAIN ????

Jim Aparo's style (cf Bronze Age Brave and the Bold or Detective) was similar to Neal Adams but far more generic and obviously less groundbreaking. Mike Nasser was an Adams clone (still a good artist). Not sure about Sienkewicz, but there's definitely an influence....

Have to agree with Dam - 251 is my favorite Batman cover,the joker looks so cool/evil standing over gotham like the king of Crime that he is ( I'm a fanboy,what can I do ??)

But this beauty comes in second if you ask me.

610761-Mail.JPG

Nice copy...its in way better shape than my copy.

Its just to hard for me to just pick one N.A. Batman but 244 & 227 has my votes for starters thumbsup2.gif If one of you has a 227 you really don't want feel free to ship it to me grin.gif

But,....????

Batman still has his pants on, yet the bad-guy has his pants???!!!???

What up with that? 27_laughing.gif

Jim Aparo's style (cf Bronze Age Brave and the Bold or Detective) was similar to Neal Adams but far more generic and obviously less groundbreaking. Mike Nasser was an Adams clone (still a good artist). Not sure about Sienkewicz, but there's definitely an influence....

893scratchchin-thumb.gifYES I see that now foreheadslap.gif (tighter deadline?)

893scratchchin-thumb.gifYES I see that now foreheadslap.gif (tighter deadline?)

Could be.....Adams was never good at meeting deadlines which allowed him more time to get things right (he was a perfectionist) but Aparo, Nasser, Amendola and others, whilst very good, were never a stylistic match for N.A.

But,....????

I assume you don't remember or you didn't see my edited version of this cover? shy.gif

But,....????

I assume you don't remember or you didn't see my edited version of this cover? shy.gif

No, I did. Just thought I'd bring up the point again. Kind of hard to consider the cover as one of the best, what with the huge mistake having been made.

I enjoyed that thread very much! thumbsup2.gif

Nice Avatar, I might add! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It is also hard to inspire fear in hardened criminals after one knows that Batman wears a Batcowl "Dickie"

And are those gloves really attached to his suit?

Perhaps this was Batmans Garanimals version of his Batsuit.. with mittens attached.

Ze-

BTW... killer copy of that issue.. headbang.gif