• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen vs. DKR ---- SPOILER CITY BABY!!!!!

108 posts in this topic

Your grandmother's so smelly, dung heaps start to cry when she walks by.

Your grandmother is so ugly, they filmed "Gorillas in the Mist" in her shower.

Your grandmother is so dumb, she makes The Brain's posts look like they were written by Ernest Hemingway.

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Your grandmother is so dumb, she makes The Brain's posts look like they were written by Ernest Hemingway.

Your grandmother is so dumb, she got fired from a blow job.

DKR gets my vote. I didn't really enjoy watchmen the first time I read it. However I have read it now at least 5 times now and really enjoy it. Something about the DKR that I enjoy....I still rather DD "Born Again" over both.

I posted this in the Watchmen HC thread, but I think it might belong here.....

Its funny this thread should come up today - last night I sat back and read all 12 Watchmen comic books straight through. It had been at least 10 years since I had read them, my impressions have somewhat changed a tad though overall I still think it to be a high water mark for story telling in the comics medium.

SPOLIER ALERT BIG TIME *********************************

I think the main issue of contention with Moore and WM is that he may be a tad too whitty for his own good. Its almost like he paints himself into a corner and then has a metaphysical, philosophical, human moral dilemna dialogue to get out, or achieve some sort of ending. Sure he's trying to prove a point - that the world is not black and white - that good guys loose and love and humanity do not conquer all - and I'm not argueing for a tidy ending here, on the contrary, I'm a fan of the 'noir' genre in all things. However, the last 3 Issues of Watchmen are, shall I say it anit-climactic and a tad boring. Somewhere after they bust Roschark - can never spell it right, out of prison and discover that Ozzy is the bad guy its all hurry up and wait.

The last issue in particular has a number of flaws, there is no reckoning on a grand scale, for such a grand scale book. He never solves the omni-potent power issue, Dr. M gets imploded for about 1 minute, him and Oz have a talk and poof the world is saved its a better place - minus half of New York not a bad idea that.

But his reasoning is flawed - I mean I've read a ton of Political Philosophy too, understand the common enemy overcoming prejudice arguement, the Allagory of the Island and all that. But I mean an isolated Alien incident and we are all chummy again??? And look I also understand the ending as a point - not all things are neat and spoon fed, there doesnt need to be some huge Immovable object vs Irresistable force Dust up. By a finale that equates to a philosophical discussion about the morality of man bewtween Hobbes and Locke, or Nietzche etc etc etc I think Moore may have forgotten the medium while taking care to page homage to it.

The incident that probably irks me most is his dealing with Roschark over the last two issues. He goes from this Anti-Hero Punisher, Wolvie, more Constantine actually, guy to being insignificant and his demise is almost trite - as is the Original Nite Owls, which does nothing for the plot or stir up any emotive in the narrative. Again the randomness and the sheer out of his league (in Roschark's case may be the point) - but when did Ozzy get so tough as well as smart. Dr. M ya but I think Roschark is made too feeble in the final issues -after his brilliant use in the whole previous narrative.

Again it is obvious that Moore is out to kill cliche's while paying tribute to the Golden Age of comic book characters in his own What If - a sort of dealing with the GA hero's in a believable and decidedly Anti-Crisis sort of way. But his understated Humanism can, well, be a little bit too understated and ho hum so what. I think in the end, he could have taken a few pointers from Miller here and his dealings with Superman in DKR. Miller tackles the daughnting task of a Batman Superman fight and makes it believable. Moore on the other hand can't seem to reconcile it and therefore casts his Non-omnipotent heros aside, after using them to carry the first 10 issues and has the all powerful beings sit and chat for an ending.

In the end I am not denying the brilliance of the Watchmen, it is one of the most finely crafted tales to ever reside in the medium - it just seems to me that the audience that is versed enough in philosophical dialogue would emote the sentiment "Ya I get it so what" and the audience that isn't would go "well that ending sucked" I think to sum it up I'll rely on a famous quote related to one of my favorite movies, Apocalypse Now (which shares many traits with Watchmen).

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its half Great and half Guff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though in both cases I'd say 3/4 great is more accurate.