• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I finally Saw Star Trek Into Darkness...

75 posts in this topic

I thought it was the best movie of the summer. No more implausible than most sci-fi films.

(thumbs u

+1

I put it up there with the Nolan Batman Trilogy, Man of Steel, and James Bond Skyfall.

My icon heroes have been taking it to another level, and have successfully made a great transition into the 21st Century!

I'm a TOS fan, and I loved this movie. And the first of this series. And TNG, and Voyager, and DS9, and Enterprise. All things Star Trek in fact.

I'm not a fan of remakes that pizz on the original (shrug)

Did you see this movie?

I saw the first one.

That would be a "no." lol

I hate when people say "No offense" before a post because it is a sign they are going to say something offensive...

But not offense to Logan, but I ignore everything he says about movies. In any other thread I read what he writes, but in movie threads I just ignore him.

I have a few friends like that who critique everything so much that I don`t go to the movies with them anymore.

One friend complained throughout the entire Batman movie about Nolan`s voice, another couldn't stand how tall Hugh Jackman was as Wolverine, and another whined that the Avengers movie sucked because it didn`t follow Avengers #1 the comic book scene for scene! lol

When super hero movies come out based on comics I now leave my comic book friends at home, and go see the movies with people who have no bias with them. I have found that to be a far more enjoyable experience, then having to hear someone nitpick throughout an entire movie about minutiae. :grin:

I'm a die hard TNG fan.

Rented Into Darkness today.

Watching it tonight.

Bonus Question for the TNG fans: what is you favorite episode?

Top three off the top of my head (not in order):

(1) Inner Light

(2) Best of Both Worlds 1&2

(3) Tapestry

Excellent choices. So many great TNG episodes. Hard to pick just a few. Inner Light is probably my favorite episode. The Hunted is another good episode.

I have never been much of a Star Trek fan but I thoroughly enjoyed both recent movies.

This is kind of what I'm talking about. The new movies are so far removed from what makes Star Trek... except for the frosting, it's completely different. As I've said before, I wish all that creative energy had gone into making some new Star Trek stories, as opposed to "updating" / rehashing TOS.

I thought it was the best movie of the summer. No more implausible than most sci-fi films.

(thumbs u

+1

I put it up there with the Nolan Batman Trilogy, Man of Steel, and James Bond Skyfall.

My icon heroes have been taking it to another level, and have successfully made a great transition into the 21st Century!

If you define success soley by money earned, you're right.

I'm a TOS fan, and I loved this movie. And the first of this series. And TNG, and Voyager, and DS9, and Enterprise. All things Star Trek in fact.

I'm not a fan of remakes that pizz on the original (shrug)

Did you see this movie?

I saw the first one.

That would be a "no." lol

I hate when people say "No offense" before a post because it is a sign they are going to say something offensive...

But not offense to Logan, but I ignore everything he says about movies. In any other thread I read what he writes, but in movie threads I just ignore him.

I have a few friends like that who critique everything so much that I don`t go to the movies with them anymore.

One friend complained throughout the entire Batman movie about Nolan`s voice, another couldn't stand how tall Hugh Jackman was as Wolverine, and another whined that the Avengers movie sucked because it didn`t follow Avengers #1 the comic book scene for scene! lol

When super hero movies come out based on comics I now leave my comic book friends at home, and go see the movies with people who have no bias with them. I have found that to be a far more enjoyable experience, then having to hear someone nitpick throughout an entire movie about minutiae. :grin:

I don't "nitpick" until after the movie. Doing it during is kind of rude IMHO.

(thumbs u

+1

Both movies have built the beginning of the relaunched universe. But I would really like any follow-up movie to focus just as much on the friendship between McCoy, Spock and Kirk. Their support of one another through the different episodes made for stronger "realism" in what makes a military unit function while attempting to achieve its mission.

I think that was the "heart" missing from this second movie was that it was more about action and taking on Khan, and less about the long-respected triumvirate.

(thumbs u

+1

Both movies have built the beginning of the relaunched universe. But I would really like any follow-up movie to focus just as much on the friendship between McCoy, Spock and Kirk. Their support of one another through the different episodes made for stronger "realism" in what makes a military unit function while attempting to achieve its mission.

I think that was the "heart" missing from this second movie was that it was more about action and taking on Khan, and less about the long-respected triumvirate.

Having just re-watched it today, I would have to say it is more of Kirk growing into the captain's role that we see with Shatner. I also got the origins blu-ray this weekend and rewatched the original Khan episode. The movie basically took the ideas of the episode and the Star Trek II and merged them. I know Levar Burton was quoted as commenting that the new movies weren't what Roddenberry would have wanted. But I see this as more of what Star Trek would have been if started now. Kind of like the comic heroes. Original Star Trek had everyone happy and getting along. Even when they argued it was old friends that were arguing. And of course, they trusted their government. Everything was kind of black and white. In the new movies things aren't that clear. KInda like Magneto, you may not like the methods of the bad guy, but you can understand the motivations.

I got around to watching it tonight. Can't believe I waited so long to watch it. LOVED IT! There was a lot of tribute material. One of my favs of the year.

I was hoping they would show Kirk leaving Khan and his followers on Setti Alpha V

Kirk leaves and Setti Alpha VI explodes six months later. That would have been cool to see...

I like that the mentioned the "Mudd" incident. I loved those episodes. Though I will say that they did a bad job trying to patch in the Tribble scene in the end. It was so out of the context of the rest of the scene. I know why they did it but it was just bad placement.