• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I finally Saw Star Trek Into Darkness...

75 posts in this topic

Before this gets Water Coolered, it is actually comics related.

In the opening sequence, Kirk and Bones encounter the Nibirans. We could speculate on whether it was a joke to name the planet "Nibiru" but what really interested me was the Nibirans themselves. Don't they bear a fair resemblance to some of Jack Kirby's inhabitants of Apokolips mixed with some Kamandi characters?

Nibirans.jpg

Even down to the yellow cloaks, there is something very Kirbyesque about them. I've been looking at New Gods, Mister Miracle, Devil Dinosaur, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Kamandi and others trying to find the yellow cloak that seems so familiar to no avail. This image is close to what I have in my head, but not exact.

ForeverPeople2Cover_sml.jpg

Am I crazy? Are these people a Kirby homage? It's not the first time a Kirby has been referenced in Star Trek. Is it just the overactive imagination of aStar Trek and Kirby fan?

Yes I know I'm in the minority of people that like things called Star Trek to have brains and heart instead of just big swinging balls.

I was hoping for more too. Aside from from Abrams nods to the pat sprinkled throughout it didn't FEEL like Star Trek. I really loved the first one. It had the right feel. This one felt odd and oddly paced and, even though it was enjoyable as a film, it left me wanting something more.

I won't get into the specific story issues that had me distracted for the people who are just seeing it on DVD.

Yes I know I'm in the minority of people that like things called Star Trek to have brains and heart instead of just big swinging balls.

I'm with you on this. I'm not sure how fans of TOS can be down with this bizarre, shade version. My wife has seen all three seasons of TOS and her first comment after seeing the last movie was "that's not Star Trek".

I would rather they go in a new direction with new stories and characters 2c

I'm a TOS fan, and I loved this movie. And the first of this series. And TNG, and Voyager, and DS9, and Enterprise. All things Star Trek in fact.

I'm not a fan of remakes that pizz on the original (shrug)

Really enjoyed it. :cloud9: It's a different timeline, different universe, so how can it harm the "original"? (shrug)

I took both as "intro" tales, 'pre-five-year-mission' foundation-laying, and a hell of a lot of fun.

If nothing else, both are a gazillion times better than that '79 "Veger" big screen paint-drying plot.