• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 158 with a difference

50 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone...

Been collecting all sorts of things for a long time.... including comic books at one time.

Was looking through some of my (Acid free) boxes today and found a copy of Daredevil #158 with a Frank Miller signature printed on the cover. My other three copies do not have this.

I did a search around the Internet but could not find another example or even a mention of it.

Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks.

DAREDEVIL158.jpg[/url][/img]

That's a nice signature. Once he got famous, he truncated his signature significantly. It's nice to see he once knew to use all the letters when spelling his name! Now, he just prints an F with a line then sort of an M followed by another line.

Yep, and that sig isn't printed.

Nice book. Welcome to the board. (thumbs u

My first thought was that it was actually signed.... but since I bought it fresh off

the newsstand and don't recall ever meeting Frank Miller, I took a closer look.

It is printed... It's made up of black and yellow dots and if you look at the "R" in the signature,

it actually runs under "THE MAN"... WITHOUT FEAR .......

..... Forget what I just said (wrote).... I took another look at the original and the looping "R"

actually is over the lettering. The black and yellow dots in the signature.... I guess the ink in Frank's pen didn't want to stick to the yellow dots that make up the moon....

I have to agree with you expert..... It's a real signature. The mystery now is how did I get it ?

My first thought was that it was actually signed.... but since I bought it fresh off

It is printed... It's made up of black and yellow dots and if you look at the "R" in the signature,

it actually runs under "THE MAN"... WITHOUT FEAR .

The plot thickens...

It comes down to either money, or just plain time. "FM" takes less time & effort than "Frank Miller."

If I knew I had to type that out 10,000 times in a day, and was told I could just type "FM" rather than type "Frank Miller," which do you think I would be typing?

:shrug:

-slym

it actually runs under "THE MAN"... WITHOUT FEAR .

The plot thickens...

The plot just thinned out..... see my correction above :blush: ..... The dots in the line of his

signature threw me off.... Thanks everyone for helping me out with this mystery of my own making..... It was fun while it lasted.....

I'm thinking of getting this copy certified ... it's in great condition.I sure am glad it has

one of his early signatures and not the scribble.

I'm sure I am going to get bashed for this lol but I am a big wrestling fan and I have to tell you they are the coolest most thoughtful people when it comes to fan meetings. When I was a kid I got to meet Mick Foley and not only did he sign my brothers and my stuff but he stopped the line, got up and took pictures with us and let both me and my brother hold the championship belt (have to dig those pics out from Mom next time I go home) He was supposed to be there 2 hours, ended up staying almost 5. O well. OP I can tell you that that signature is not printed on the book, looked at the bigger scans and don't see it. Also that book was printed in two runs. A 35 cent and 40 cent variety (the 40 cent is more common I believe, please correct me if I am wrong) Double check the print indica for me but if its 1979 (and it should be) then there is no way his signature was printed on it. He was relitivly unknown in 1979, he was basically penciling Spectacular Spider Man and begged Jim Shooter to take over Daredevil which shooter gave him the shot at. This was his first issue doing so.

Jo King. I wouldn't bother. Since the signature wasn't witnessed, CGC will consider it a defect. You could get a Qualified (green) label which would grade the book at what it would be without the cover signature or you can get a blue label with the indica saying "Frank Miller written on cover in ink" but they will give you a hit for the signature. Put that baby in a mylar and enjoy it. Its a great book and even better because its back when Miller's sig was awesome.

Jo King. I wouldn't bother. Since the signature wasn't witnessed, CGC will consider it a defect. You could get a Qualified (green) label which would grade the book at what it would be without the cover signature or you can get a blue label with the indica saying "Frank Miller written on cover in ink" but they will give you a hit for the signature. Put that baby in a mylar and enjoy it. Its a great book and even better because its back when Miller's sig was awesome.

+1

I'm sure I am going to get bashed for this lol but I am a big wrestling fan and I have to tell you they are the coolest most thoughtful people when it comes to fan meetings. When I was a kid I got to meet Mick Foley and not only did he sign my brothers and my stuff but he stopped the line, got up and took pictures with us and let both me and my brother hold the championship belt (have to dig those pics out from Mom next time I go home) He was supposed to be there 2 hours, ended up staying almost 5. O well. OP I can tell you that that signature is not printed on the book, looked at the bigger scans and don't see it. Also that book was printed in two runs. A 35 cent and 40 cent variety (the 40 cent is more common I believe, please correct me if I am wrong) Double check the print indica for me but if its 1979 (and it should be) then there is no way his signature was printed on it. He was relitivly unknown in 1979, he was basically penciling Spectacular Spider Man and begged Jim Shooter to take over Daredevil which shooter gave him the shot at. This was his first issue doing so.

Release Date: January 30, 1979... My bday month!! :acclaim:

I've never seen a $.35 variant though? ???

I agree that he was definitely an unknown at the time. It's not a reprint is it?! (shrug)