• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 158 with a difference

50 posts in this topic

Jo King. I wouldn't bother. Since the signature wasn't witnessed, CGC will consider it a defect. You could get a Qualified (green) label which would grade the book at what it would be without the cover signature or you can get a blue label with the indica saying "Frank Miller written on cover in ink" but they will give you a hit for the signature. Put that baby in a mylar and enjoy it. Its a great book and even better because its back when Miller's sig was awesome.

Thanks for that bit of advice.... good to know.

I'll have to rack my brain and figure out how I got the signature....

It was a long time ago... especially in dog years.

Flying Donut, it exists Ive seen it in the Marvel Offices. Whether it ever made it out of the printer well that I don't know. But yes I would pay a lot for it too. Please note even on the official Marvel Unlimited website they use that cover http://marvel.com/comics/issue/8138/daredevil_1963_158

I'm sure I am going to get bashed for this lol but I am a big wrestling fan and I have to tell you they are the coolest most thoughtful people when it comes to fan meetings. When I was a kid I got to meet Mick Foley and not only did he sign my brothers and my stuff but he stopped the line, got up and took pictures with us and let both me and my brother hold the championship belt (have to dig those pics out from Mom next time I go home) He was supposed to be there 2 hours, ended up staying almost 5. O well. OP I can tell you that that signature is not printed on the book, looked at the bigger scans and don't see it. Also that book was printed in two runs. A 35 cent and 40 cent variety (the 40 cent is more common I believe, please correct me if I am wrong) Double check the print indica for me but if its 1979 (and it should be) then there is no way his signature was printed on it. He was relitivly unknown in 1979, he was basically penciling Spectacular Spider Man and begged Jim Shooter to take over Daredevil which shooter gave him the shot at. This was his first issue doing so.

Release Date: January 30, 1979... My bday month!! :acclaim:

I've never seen a $.35 variant though? ???

I agree that he was definitely an unknown at the time. It's not a reprint is it?! (shrug)

All four copies dated May 1979.....

I'm sure I am going to get bashed for this lol but I am a big wrestling fan and I have to tell you they are the coolest most thoughtful people when it comes to fan meetings. When I was a kid I got to meet Mick Foley and not only did he sign my brothers and my stuff but he stopped the line, got up and took pictures with us and let both me and my brother hold the championship belt (have to dig those pics out from Mom next time I go home) He was supposed to be there 2 hours, ended up staying almost 5. O well. OP I can tell you that that signature is not printed on the book, looked at the bigger scans and don't see it. Also that book was printed in two runs. A 35 cent and 40 cent variety (the 40 cent is more common I believe, please correct me if I am wrong) Double check the print indica for me but if its 1979 (and it should be) then there is no way his signature was printed on it. He was relitivly unknown in 1979, he was basically penciling Spectacular Spider Man and begged Jim Shooter to take over Daredevil which shooter gave him the shot at. This was his first issue doing so.

Release Date: January 30, 1979... My bday month!! :acclaim:

I've never seen a $.35 variant though? ???

I agree that he was definitely an unknown at the time. It's not a reprint is it?! (shrug)

All four copies dated May 1979.....

The books were always released a couple of months before the cover date. At the time, DD was still bi-monthly!

This site is a great resource:

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/timemachine.php?site=all&type=calendar&month=1&year=1979&sort=alpha

(thumbs u

My first thought was that it was actually signed.... but since I bought it fresh off the newsstand and don't recall ever meeting Frank Miller, I took a closer look.

It is printed...

Maybe Frank Miller walked into the stationery where you bought this from and signed it there secretively lol

Nice find man!

Heres a guy who's signature never changed even after he had a stroke.

Dont give me that "I cant sign my full name anymore Im too busy" BS!

death-dealer-frazetta.jpg

Surely you're not trying to equate Frazetta and Frank Miller.

That's apples and, comparatively speaking, untalented oranges.

Flying Donut, it exists Ive seen it in the Marvel Offices. Whether it ever made it out of the printer well that I don't know. But yes I would pay a lot for it too. Please note even on the official Marvel Unlimited website they use that cover http://marvel.com/comics/issue/8138/daredevil_1963_158

It is a proof. This cover layout was never published. It was the transition month in between 35 and 40 cents (May 79), and this and MTIO #51 were the first ones to be affected. They changed the price after the proof was approved, which is why you have the awkward price sunburst on these two in the published versions.

The only place the 35 cent cover is published is on the Bullpen page of the May Marvels.

Miller didn't kill Deathstalker. He only did the art on 158. He did kill Elektra and Stick (his own characters).

Stick never dies! He lives on in spirit! :D

Speaking of Stick - just won this the other night on Heritage! Stick's First Appearance. Which CGC credited it in the notes on the case, but oh well. (shrug)

10y03lk.jpg

Harvey yea. good luck finding it. Its a nightmare but it exists

daredevil-158.jpg note how the right hand side of the book is also different.

If that exists, I'll pay a lot for it.

I'll pay $1 more than Dan.

How can I never have seen or heard of such a thing?