• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Square bound books

8 posts in this topic

I am curious about the bumpiness that is common on BA square bound books, GSX1, MS 2 etc

How does cgc treat this? Is it treated as a manufacturing defect? I have seen some very wavy looking books in 9.4/9.6 holders. Is it acceptable on a 9.8?

And while I am at it, does anyone know why there are no MS 2s in 9.8? Does it have anything to do with the common defect on the top staple FC?

The professional response given to me when I asked about this a reputable seller (and board friend):

«The Avengers #93 is suffering from what I describe as 'glue ripple'. Although the interior pages of the square-bounds were stapled together, the outer covers were actually glued on. The moisture from the glue creates a slight waviness, especially close to the spine. This is a very, very common problem and it is considered a production defect and so it usually isn't downgraded at all.»

The professional response given to me when I asked about this a reputable seller (and board friend):

«The Avengers #93 is suffering from what I describe as 'glue ripple'. Although the interior pages of the square-bounds were stapled together, the outer covers were actually glued on. The moisture from the glue creates a slight waviness, especially close to the spine. This is a very, very common problem and it is considered a production defect and so it usually isn't downgraded at all.»

:applause:

Good to know. I've always had a hard time grading these out.

I have an Avengers #93 which I bought as a pretty low grade and when I showed it around the consensus was that it was a VF or better. I saw it was really nice, but had this heavy "waviness" and I feared it was water damage, but water damage has a precise effect by which it can be detected: it always leaves a stain, even if it is clear water or damp, humidity, etc.

So in 99% of those the problem is given by the glue, and from what I get the moisture caused by the adaptation of the paper to the glue (or vice-versa). :)

I have some gnarly looking spines on 9.8 copies. Square bound books are a separate entity to themselves. Even SB double covers are an oddity. The second cover is not attached to the book, it just lays over the interior cover loosely.

I have some gnarly looking spines on 9.8 copies. Square bound books are a separate entity to themselves. Even SB double covers are an oddity. The second cover is not attached to the book, it just lays over the interior cover loosely.

Interesting, never thought a square bound could be a double cover.