• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you rather...

24 posts in this topic

i'd go quantity if I had space to display and if I really like the cover art or was able to focus on my favorite character, like Hado does with Spider-Woman.

I'd hit spend $50 per on a Darkhawk set

or a early 80's wolverine set.

Keys.

Three and a half years since I bought any modern comics, and feeling little connection to them now.

I'd rather buy a Silver or Bronze Age key, copies with great presentation.

Wait a second

You would sit for months maybe years not buying anything just hording your cash for the big spend ?

That's not FUN Collecting ?

Haft of collecting is searching finding waiting opening and putting it away

If you only do that once every year to 9 months that's not collecting that's something else ?

But then again in the end the modern stuff is still modern junk and the Keys keep their value

So maybe to have fun and have nice things you like you should do both --> Buy lots of cheep thinks you love for fun and a few Keys for treasure

:)

Go with the keys.

You can always grab a TBP for moderns.

"Funs" great but when you have 200 worthless books that cost you $1000, then that 8.0 Tos #57 looks quite nice.

You can always resell the TPB's for 50c in the $ as well.

2c

Wait a second

You would sit for months maybe years not buying anything just hording your cash for the big spend ?

That's not FUN Collecting ?

Haft of collecting is searching finding waiting opening and putting it away

If you only do that once every year to 9 months that's not collecting that's something else ?

But then again in the end the modern stuff is still modern junk and the Keys keep their value

So maybe to have fun and have nice things you like you should do both --> Buy lots of cheep thinks you love for fun and a few Keys for treasure

:)

Go after the keys. Modern books will be very worth little in the future overall. Keys have proven their value over the long haul; especially if you are buying vintage books. I will not touch a book printed after 1975; aside from a few exceptions.

Build a 50-60 book CGC 9.8 Modern Registry Set OR use that same money to buy 2 or 3 high grade Keys.

Quantity or quality?

Discuss.

hm

Interesting query.. having just spent a lot on a whole bunch of Modern SS slabs and beginning to switch my focus to keys.

Frankly, I'm a massive fan of having my cake and eating it too.

So, why not both? Why not set a budget on what you would spend on a modern slab and when you find books that land in budget, snap them up. While maintaining an ongoing savings fund to go towards keys.

The key point, no pun intended, is that collecting is supposed to be fun. What is "fun" is an incredibly subjective thing... For example, I LOVE obstacle racing... It tests the body to run a 20k course, getting dunked in an ice bath before being hit with 10,000 volts before having to crawl through barb wire and scale walls etc, but I love it... I love the camaraderie between competitors and the way everyone helps those (complete strangers) around them get through the course. I love the sense of achievement at the end. It's awesome. But many of my mates think I'm nuts. Life is just doing what appeals to you.

So, for me, collecting a modern title I'm enjoying is fun. But being able to proudly display a key is also fun. Having a limited budget to work with means I have to hunt for books that fit the budget - which means often missing out on books too... but the thrill of the auction is also a lot of fun. Especially when you win within budget.

So, I guess it really comes down to:

1. What is fun for you;

2. What your budget is; and

3. What books you want to collect (both modern and keys).

If you can make all three of those melt together like bread, ham and cheese in a sandwich press, then you, my friend, have all the makings for a really enjoyable and successful collecting hobby.

I've set myself some specific foci - limited run of modern books to try and complete, but the priority of picking up affordable first appearances. :)

I am eating my cake! deGNM0T.gif

(edit: if your goal is to invest to own books worth something in the future - then a modern run will probably not achieve that. Some modern books will hold value, but really the safe bet is on keys).