• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BEWARE EBAY'S FRAUDULENT FEES

33 posts in this topic

I getting tired to say this, but we really need something else than ebay to sell our comics

Try a brick and mortar store and ads in trade publications then why don't you?

I'm fed up to here with all this incessant whining and complaining about Ebay. Ebay has enabled hundreds of thousands of cottage retailing industries that wouldn't otherwise exist. If you don't like it, go back to retailing the way it was done twenty years ago.

:eyeroll:

:golfclap:

OK, many of you have read me whine about getting kicked off ebay in August for FOUR slow shipping doo hickeys over the course of a year [three from the same guy, only two of which actually arrived after ebay's "estimated" delivery time] (despite 1300+ perfect feedback and 10 years on ebay).

A few months before that (due to the same four slowing shipping DSRs or whatever they are) ebay had advised me I could no longer sell through a store and restricted me to 80 transactions a month (and $8K in sales...which I was not going to get close to anyway). I sucked it up and was just running auctions at that point and was making sales, etc. until they said I had not improved quickly enough and booted me.

What I did not realize is that although my store had been shut down (it had been one of the $50 or so a month stores, not the "basic" store), ebay had just started charging me for a "basic store" ($19.95/mo) instead even though I could not even use it! I didn't realize this was going on because I was making some big sales via auction and was paying a bunch of fees.

So now I have been shut out of the selling business for 6 weeks and I get an invoice for $19.95 and I realize something is going on. My dashboard doesn't tell me exactly what it is.

Well, after getting on the horn with ebay it turns out ebay continued to charge me for a "basic" store anyway because I never "unsubscribed"...despite not being allowed to use the store!! nowhere in any communication about my store being shut down was I advised i needed to "unsubscribe" to anything ---I stupidly assumed that I would not be charged for something to which my access was blocked! silly me!

Well, after a bunch of screaming they say they will refund one $19.95 payment and cancel the one sought in the invoice. We'll see if that happens. I'm pretty sure I am still out one or two $19.95 payments, but at this point I am too tired to fight these crooks.

I don't know how many folks are in the same boat with 10,000 sellers getting the boot in august, but it would make for an interesting lawsuit.

hm

So now it is e-bay's fault that you didn't cancel your store subscription? (shrug)

As soon as they took away your ability to use your store, you should have cancelled it. It's not up to e-bay to do that, it is up to you. It's all listed in the TOS that everybody accepts, but few ever bother to read.

This sounds like a case of you didn't keep up with your seller account summary, and/or never bothered to look at the breakdown of fees and charges. You just assumed you owed the money without looking at the breakdown of fees and charges? :tonofbricks:

This isn't on e-bay, this one was on you for not paying attention to your account. (shrug)

OK, many of you have read me whine about getting kicked off ebay in August for FOUR slow shipping doo hickeys over the course of a year [three from the same guy, only two of which actually arrived after ebay's "estimated" delivery time] (despite 1300+ perfect feedback and 10 years on ebay).

A few months before that (due to the same four slowing shipping DSRs or whatever they are) ebay had advised me I could no longer sell through a store and restricted me to 80 transactions a month (and $8K in sales...which I was not going to get close to anyway). I sucked it up and was just running auctions at that point and was making sales, etc. until they said I had not improved quickly enough and booted me.

What I did not realize is that although my store had been shut down (it had been one of the $50 or so a month stores, not the "basic" store), ebay had just started charging me for a "basic store" ($19.95/mo) instead even though I could not even use it! I didn't realize this was going on because I was making some big sales via auction and was paying a bunch of fees.

So now I have been shut out of the selling business for 6 weeks and I get an invoice for $19.95 and I realize something is going on. My dashboard doesn't tell me exactly what it is.

Well, after getting on the horn with ebay it turns out ebay continued to charge me for a "basic" store anyway because I never "unsubscribed"...despite not being allowed to use the store!! nowhere in any communication about my store being shut down was I advised i needed to "unsubscribe" to anything ---I stupidly assumed that I would not be charged for something to which my access was blocked! silly me!

Well, after a bunch of screaming they say they will refund one $19.95 payment and cancel the one sought in the invoice. We'll see if that happens. I'm pretty sure I am still out one or two $19.95 payments, but at this point I am too tired to fight these crooks.

I don't know how many folks are in the same boat with 10,000 sellers getting the boot in august, but it would make for an interesting lawsuit.

hm

So now it is e-bay's fault that you didn't cancel your store subscription? (shrug)

As soon as they took away your ability to use your store, you should have cancelled it. It's not up to e-bay to do that, it is up to you. It's all listed in the TOS that everybody accepts, but few ever bother to read.

This sounds like a case of you didn't keep up with your seller account summary, and/or never bothered to look at the breakdown of fees and charges. You just assumed you owed the money without looking at the breakdown of fees and charges? :tonofbricks:

This isn't on e-bay, this one was on you for not paying attention to your account. (shrug)

Why would I need to cancel my store subscription when ebay had already cancelled my store? This is like saying the cable company can keep on sending me a monthly bill and doing an auto-deduct from my bank account even after they cancel my service. ebay conceded that they shouldn't have been charging me for this, which is why they refunded me for one month and cancelled the other month's bill. I just didn't have it in me to scream about the June-July overcharge as well as the poor kid in India was getting scared. Yes, I should check my invoices...the purpose of this posting was to remind people to double check those F-ing invoices because ebay will rip you off..even if only a little bit here and a little bit there.

I getting tired to say this, but we really need something else than ebay to sell our comics

I'm fed up to here with all this incessant whining and complaining about Ebay. Ebay has enabled hundreds of thousands of cottage retailing industries that wouldn't otherwise exist. If you don't like it, go back to retailing the way it was done twenty years ago.

Do you honestly think these industries wouldn't have existsed without ebay and that in the land of the internet some other company (like amazon or google) wouldn't have filled the void, which was made harder for them because of the presence of ebay? mind you, i'm sure amazon would have been pulling wacky stuff too and, honestly, it probably should be a superior venue for what we sell because people give amazon gift certificates right and left, not so much ebay gift certs...

Anyway, I'm not ranting about ebay in general, I too found it a good venue to sell certain kinds of stuff and, unlike many, really wasn't upset about the fees charges for successful sales...I was selling there up until 6 weeks ago, but I'm ticked off that they

(1) snuck these charges in there and because

(2) the purging of long-time sellers, many for pretty trivial stuff, is nuts. tell me it's my fault i shipped a few items slow, sure, but if you get some guy who decides to stick it to you who has bought a bunch of items you too may find it very difficult to get yourself below the % of 1s or 2s allowed by ebay and may get the boot too

Do you honestly think these industries wouldn't have existsed without ebay and that in the land of the internet some other company (like amazon or google) wouldn't have filled the void, which was made harder for them because of the presence of ebay? mind you, i'm sure amazon would have been pulling wacky stuff too and, honestly, it probably should be a superior venue for what we sell because people give amazon gift certificates right and left, not so much ebay gift certs...

Anyway, I'm not ranting about ebay in general, I too found it a good venue to sell certain kinds of stuff and, unlike many, really wasn't upset about the fees charges for successful sales...I was selling there up until 6 weeks ago, but I'm ticked off that they

(1) snuck these charges in thereand because

(2) the purging of long-time sellers, many for pretty trivial stuff, is nuts. tell me it's my fault i shipped a few items slow, sure, but if you get some guy who decides to stick it to you who has bought a bunch of items you too may find it very difficult to get yourself below the % of 1s or 2s allowed by ebay and may get the boot too

You were on e-bay for over 10 years and yet they "snuck those charges in there"?

:facepalm:

Ebay charges me 10% on a sale. I figure that into my cost when determining my listing price. I print my postage-paid label and ship the next day or day after dropping it off at the post office on the way to work. I understand many people have a lot more complicated setups than I do, and I guess keeping things simple allows me to not ever have to worry about Ebay's dark and mysterious agendas for sellers.

Ebay charges me 10% on a sale. I figure that into my cost when determining my listing price. I print my postage-paid label and ship the next day or day after dropping it off at the post office on the way to work. I understand many people have a lot more complicated setups than I do, and I guess keeping things simple allows me to not ever have to worry about Ebay's dark and mysterious agendas for sellers.

+1

I build free priority shipping into the price, drop packages off the next morning, don't have to worry about DSR's for shipping time or shipping costs. (thumbs u

You were on e-bay for over 10 years and yet they "snuck those charges in there"?

:facepalm:

It sounds like they snuck them in to me.

When someone cancels an agreement with me, I don't expect to have to check my statement to see if they are still charging me for the service they booted me from. In this case even if he did check, he was not charged store fees the month he was cancelled, so all would appear "good". It wasn't until a month later that the charges began to appear, and even then they were at a significantly different and lessor rate (easier to overlook) than what he had been paying.

If this occurred with all of the people in the purge, I would say it was systemically designed expressly for the purpose of pulling in funds from a percentage of unwitting customers who do not religiously follow their statements.

+1 keeping it simple is way to go.

+ you buy from me so you have nothing to worry about. :hi:

Its different all over the world.

In Oz we only get 40 free listings, and no ebay bucks.

We also can't print-and-ship like you guys.

We do continue to see 'completed listings' so that's a plus.

On the 25th this global shipping stuff is being wedged in, but as we cannot ship in the same way as you guys, I have no idea how ebay can enforce it.

I'm just going to send an invoice and mark the item 'paid'.

Can you circumvent it like that in USA?

Up until now I really had no opinion about eBay one way or another. Having all of my accounts with 100% perfect feedback and virtually no issues from my buyers; allowed me to have neutral feelings about eBay. Ironically, I am now split as to how I view eBay as a whole.

One on hand eBay became a virtual monopoly in the online auction world and also helped solidify the very definition of 'rare.' As an antiques and collectibles dealer and collector I have a lot to thank eBay for. Number one, they allow me to see what is truly rare. Attempting to compete with sellers of common mass produced items is no longer my business model. I made enough money off of ebay to transition put of this. I can confirm that I sold off most of my holdings and vested interest in 'electrogames.' I hold the eBay account and still have massive amounts of factory sealed vintage games and other inventory, but the core business was sold off. I am more interested in rare antiques. This is where eBay has lost touch with me...or rather I lost touch with them. Very few individuals want to buy a piece of Tiffany glass for $5000 on eBay. There are too many fakes. They would rather be able to touch and investigate the item or themselves. As such, eBay has become a minefield of fakes and reproductions. For this, I scorn them for allowing these practices to continue.

Still I cannot truly hate eBay. They allowed me to get to the point where I am now and while I consider their policies to be counterproductive to the collecting community as a whole, I still recognize the need for their existence.

Just my opinion.

'Mint'