• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel vs DC collectors

53 posts in this topic

Easy answer... Marvel... and here is why...

Silver Age Marvel is the "jumping on" point for the entire universe. Almost every 'classic' and 'key' Marvel character makes their 1st appearance during this time period. Silver Age Marvel is really where it all begins.

Silver Age DC has some first appearances but not the brand's key characters. Supergirl is a great Silver Age key. However it is not the first appearance of DC's flagship character, Superman.

However, when it comes to Golden Age, I tend to collect DC.

I guess your point is a good one (though I prefer silver DC, myself). You're saying the key characters (supes, bats, ww, GL, Flash) all appear first in the golden age (though many changed appearances before being reinvented in the silver age).......

I look at titles like Showcase, that introduce so many of the most important characters of the age as classic...... And challenges of the unknown was 5 years earlier than the FF hm hm

Now I know why we get along :idea:

I'd be perfectly content if I owned no DC product. I think the character concepts are less interesting and inferior to anything Marvel produced.

DG

Why do Marvel guys never miss an opportunity to knock DC, when most DC guys I know are happy the two companies coexist.

It's a little annoying I tell ya. :mad:

Especially when everyone knows Marvel is inferior :grin:

I grew up Marvel and until the Perez Teen Titans came along thought everything DC was junk except when there was a treasury-sized cross over edition. I still pretty much only collected Marvel in the 70s/80s, but when I came back to collecting in 1993, while still leaning Marvel, I tried some new stuff. Specifically, I decided to give Green Lantern a try because I liked the Adams stuff and then got into earlier issues. And then I started pretty much buying everything. I liked some of those goofy 50s/60s DCs for all the reasons Marvel fans hate them -- the uber-kitchiness of them all, ridiculous stories, dopey covers...great stuff.

I pretty much collect everything of a certain age or older (and sometimes younger) other than Classics Illsutrated and if some decent first editions in nice shape came along on the super cheap I'd collect those too.

I selected SA Marvel. I'm more a Marvel guy, although I think the good DC stuff is better than the Marvel stuff (I'm talking Copper and up; Vertigo, etc..).

I'll buy select older DC books, but mostly focus on the Marvel stuff. I've always loved the SA Atom and SA GL books, but I haven't really started seeking them out.

Out of the people who said "both", how many would still collect DCs if Batman was excluded?

When someone says "both", they probably mean "just about everything."

By the way, the question is just as ridiculous if you turn it around and suggest that the only Marvel comic worth collecting is Amazing Spider-Man.

I wasn`t implying that only Batman was worth collecting. I am/was a SA DC collector.

However, my impression was that most Marvel collectors wouldn`t come near a DC with the possible exception of Batman, as he`s the only DC superhero that most Marvel fans consider to be cool. So I was curious when Marvel fans say they also collect DC, whether that means just Batman or a broader range of DC titles.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: Out of the collectors who said "Both" but are predominantly Marvel collectors, do you collect any DC titles other than Batman-related titles?

Absolute nonsense especially given the junk that DC cranked out during the SA. Do I have to post some DC covers just to cement my point?

I love stuff from both. But good DC is as good as Comics get.

I still think Kingdom Come is the best written/drawn story of all time.

But during most of the 60's-70's Marvel clearly out shined DC. During 1969 things started to pick up a bit for DC with Adams, Wrightson and horror titles.

But where DC really took back the crown was in the early/ Mid 80's.

Although there was John Byrne putting out some great issues for FF, DC had titles like Teen Titans, Swamp Thing, and then of course one of the all time classic's, Crisis. Since then for the most part DC has dominated with the writing/artwork and still does today, despite some of DC 52's missteps.

In the silver age sub forum I ran a poll to try and find the ratio of silver age Marvel to DC collectors. The poll results were surprising and some have commented that if ran in CG the ratio would be very different.

I skimmed some posts in this thread... so maybe I missed it... but what was the result in the SA board?

Why do Marvel guys never miss an opportunity to knock DC, when most DC guys I know are happy the two companies coexist.

1) ignore Douchewaite - you will be happier in life

2) not all of us Marvel guys do that, but as with most things, the bad gets spotlighted while the good goes unnoticed. It's a little annoying I tell ya. :mad:

;)

-slym

My $0.02

A good story is better than a bad story.

Great art is better than poor art.

Determining what is a good story or what makes great art is an entirely subjective process.

But that process has zero relevance to the publisher.

Make no mistake - all publishers (the "big 2" and the smaller publishing houses) all release great books and mess books... Anyone who limits themselves to only purchasing books from one publisher as a "loyalist" is only hurting themselves by missing out on the great stuff from the other publishers.

But, that is their cross to bear. I buy from all publishers and I enjoy a wide variety of awesome books.

1) ignore Douchewaite - you will be happier in life

2) not all of us Marvel guys do that, but as with most things, the bad gets spotlighted while the good goes unnoticed. It's a little annoying I tell ya. :mad:

;)

-slym

PEACE :foryou: