• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel vs DC collectors

53 posts in this topic

In the silver age sub forum I ran a poll to try and find the ratio of silver age Marvel to DC collectors. The poll results were surprising and some have commented that if ran in CG the ratio would be very different.

I haven't included the crack option because that mess ain't funny anymore.

And I haven't included other publishers as I was only looking to get a ratio of the big two.

If you don't collect either don't answer.

How could any comic book "collector" not collect both?

I don't define a "collector" as a "reader" or follower. To me, they are different things. But of course, many or most will be both a collector and a follower/reader.

I also do not think that someone who happens to have just under one hundred comic books, is a "collector". They just happen to have a few funny books.

It boils down to intention. Did you get them to read and enjoy, and just kept them? That is not a collector. A collector gets them just to have them. Reading some of them may happen. But is not why they are being obtained.

My opinions, anyway. I am SURE many will disagree. We can be gentlemen about it, can't we? :)

I don't define a "collector" as a "reader" or follower. To me, they are different things. But of course, many or most will be both a collector and a follower/reader.

I also do not think that someone who happens to have just under one hundred comic books, is a "collector". They just happen to have a few funny books.

It boils down to intention. Did you get them to read and enjoy, and just kept them? That is not a collector. A collector gets them just to have them. Reading some of them may happen. But is not why they are being obtained.

My opinions, anyway. I am SURE many will disagree. We can be gentlemen about it, can't we? :)

I guess I'm not a collector then. This is not to say I don't have any DC comics in my collection, but I don't actively collect DC.

100 or more books and the who published those books is unrelated and arbitrary criteria for whether someone is a collector or not. By that criterion, someone with a 100k+ collection of only Marvel mega keys is not a collector if that collection is only ten books. Ditto for whether they read them or not.

What constitutes a collector is simple, it has nothing to do with the quality or quantity of books, the definition is satisfied simply by gathering things to keep.

I think the underlying principle to the bolded question could be applied to the poll question.

I would imagine most collectors have at least some of both. I have a half dozen Silver Marvels and I'm sure I'll pick up a few more in the future. But it would be a spur-of-the-moment, after-thought type purchase.

I actively pursue DC Silver so that's how I would respond to the poll - even though technically I buy both.

So I think "intent" could be applied not just to the term "collector" but the term "Marvel Guy/DC Guy" as well.

I think the underlying principle to the bolded question could be applied to the poll question.

I would imagine most collectors have at least some of both. I have a half dozen Silver Marvels and I'm sure I'll pick up a few more in the future. But it would be a spur-of-the-moment, after-thought type purchase.

I actively pursue DC Silver so that's how I would respond to the poll - even though technically I buy both.

So I think "intent" could be applied not just to the term "collector" but the term "Marvel Guy/DC Guy" as well.

To prevent more equivocating, if you buy either publisher's books from the silver age you collect them.

Easy answer... Marvel... and here is why...

Silver Age Marvel is the "jumping on" point for the entire universe. Almost every 'classic' and 'key' Marvel character makes their 1st appearance during this time period. Silver Age Marvel is really where it all begins.

Silver Age DC has some first appearances but not the brand's key characters. Supergirl is a great Silver Age key. However it is not the first appearance of DC's flagship character, Superman.

However, when it comes to Golden Age, I tend to collect DC.

So I've collected long Silver Age runs of X Men, FF, Avengers, ASM, Daredevil, TOS, TTA, JIM, Strange Tales and more as well as more recent stuff but I'm not a collector? (shrug)

Well that told me. :facepalm:

So I've collected long Silver Age runs of X Men, FF, Avengers, ASM, Daredevil, TOS, TTA, JIM, Strange Tales and more as well as more recent stuff but I'm not a collector? (shrug)

It's like the difference between a friend and an acquaintance. :gossip:

One of my biggest regrets is that I didn’t value my DC comics like my Marvels. Years ago I sold my Flash 105, Justice League of America 1, Green Lantern 1, and a lot of other DC keys because I didn’t think that much of them. I was a Marvel zombie. These days I sometimes look back ruefully and think of all the good stuff I got rid of just because I was mainly interested in Marvels.

I don’t buy many comics these days, but I’m a little bit more open-minded. Marvel, DC, whatever…

I am not sure what your point is. If you "collected"them, then you collected. But if you bought them to read and just hung onto them. Then you are not a collector per se. My best friend reads tons of comic books. But he does not collect them. He only bought them to read and hung onto them.

People who collect antique ink pens, do not write with them People who collect paper currency, do not spend them. Even people who collect antique cars, rarely drive them. They are not going to Wal-Mart in their 57 T-Bird.

Point is: intentions. This is the "Collectors Society". Not the "Readers Society".

Nothing wrong with doing both. But they are different animals. I am an avid collector, but not a reader. Just bought a Supergirl #1 slabbed. It will never ever be read by me. I won't even ever see the interior artwork. Just the cover and label on the slab.

That my friend, is a collector.

I am not sure what your point is. If you "collected"them, then you collected. But if you bought them to read and just hung onto them. Then you are not a collector per se. My best friend reads tons of comic books. But he does not collect them. He only bought them to read and hung onto them.

People who collect antique ink pens, do not write with them People who collect paper currency, do not spend them. Even people who collect antique cars, rarely drive them. They are not going to Wal-Mart in their 57 T-Bird.

Point is: intentions. This is the "Collectors Society". Not the "Readers Society".

Nothing wrong with doing both. But they are different animals. I am an avid collector, but not a reader. Just bought a Supergirl #1 slabbed. It will never ever be read by me. I won't even ever see the interior artwork. Just the cover and label on the slab.

My point was that you don't have to collect both to be a collector.

I am a reader and a collector. I've collected slabs and I've bought raws for collecting that I've then read and I've bought raws and TPBs solely for reading. I read comics other than Marvel but I have only ever collected Marvel.

It's like the difference between a friend and an acquaintance. :gossip:

I prefer the term "fracquaintance".

My point was that you don't have to collect both to be a collector.

I am a reader and a collector. I've collected slabs and I've bought raws for collecting that I've then read and I've bought raws and TPBs solely for reading. I read comics other than Marvel but I have only ever collected Marvel.

I could not agree more. A person can surely be both a reader and a collector. Except maybe a coinee.

When I was a "collector," I was also a reader. I think it is perfectly feasible and acceptable to be both. I think the fact that people will read these then put them in bags & boards, and (hopefully) change those bags&boards every ten years or less, shows that readers & collectors are more often than not, one and the same (all IMHO, of course.)

-slym

I agree. There can be considerable overlap. Primarily I read comics, but if there's an item which has great significance to me, then I'll think about adding a high grade original to my collection.

Easy answer... Marvel... and here is why...

Silver Age Marvel is the "jumping on" point for the entire universe. Almost every 'classic' and 'key' Marvel character makes their 1st appearance during this time period. Silver Age Marvel is really where it all begins.

Silver Age DC has some first appearances but not the brand's key characters. Supergirl is a great Silver Age key. However it is not the first appearance of DC's flagship character, Superman.

However, when it comes to Golden Age, I tend to collect DC.

I guess your point is a good one (though I prefer silver DC, myself). You're saying the key characters (supes, bats, ww, GL, Flash) all appear first in the golden age (though many changed appearances before being reinvented in the silver age).......

i look at titles like Showcase, that introduce so many of the most important characters of the age as classic...... And challenges of the unknown was 5 years earlier than the FF hm hm