• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic link price listing ?

13 posts in this topic

i tried to list a comic on comic link to sell.

it was under $100 they wanted to charge me a listing price of $5 for anything under $50 sale.

what is going on. have they become the new ebay ?

I believe that has been their policy for as long as I can remember. A $5 minimum charge seems reasonable for me given that CLink needs to accept the book shipped to them, repackage it and ship to new owner, process any accounting and sending payment to the seller, etc.

they never charges listing fees below a certain price.

it was one of there main selling points against ebay

and i have purchased plenty of comics from them and they charge the buyer shipping charges so it costs them zero.

and the seller pays for the shipping to them of the comic.

Hmmm... It is news to me that CLink charges an upfront listing fee before an item sells if you try to list an item under $50, but then again I've never tried to list something on CLink with an asking price under $50... it was my understanding that upon an exchange sale of $50 or less, you'd just get hit with a $5 minimum fee at that time (which again to me seems fair given CLinks having to handle the book upon receipt from the seller and then repackage it and set up shipping to the buyer, unlike eBay which relies on shipping directly from seller to buyer. CLink needs to pay their shipping people to do all that stuff)... What you are saying about an up front listing fee on items listed under $50 is news to me...

Are you sure you read their comments correctly in that they expected an up front $5 fee to list your book, or did CLink's comments just warn you that you would need to pay a minimum seller fee of the greater of 10% of the sales price or $5? Maybe if you copy and paste the verbiage provided by CLink here it would provide clarification.

Just one last thought... for items under $50, unless you think you can get more for it on CLink than on, say eBay, it might make more sense to just sell such items on eBay, as then you don't have to pay to ship the book to CLink after it sells, in addition to a $5 minimum fee, instead, you'd just pay the eBay / PayPal fees (totaling roughly 13% let's say for illustrative purposes);

e.g. eBay sale for one $30 book:

--> Assuming your listing requires the buyer pay shipping, then after eBay & PayPal fees, your net sales proceeds would be around $30 x (1 - 13%) = $26.10

e.g. CLink sale for one $30 book:

--> You might pay say $10 to ship it to CLink and a minimum fee of $5 (unless I'm mistaken), such that your net sales proceeds be $30 - $10 - $5 = $15

yes if you try and list a comic lets say for $90

it comes up in red on bottom in order to list this book it does not meet the free listing amount. they need a charge card on file to charge you a one time $5 listing fee.

i think its a bad move for anything newer under $100.

thye are saying you cant list a book for $90 and who knows the comic might sell for lets say $60.

they will lose that sale still above $50

not smart business

Just one last thought... for items under $50, unless you think you can get more for it on CLink than on, say eBay, it might make more sense to just sell such items on eBay, as then you don't have to pay to ship the book to CLink after it sells, in addition to a $5 minimum fee, instead, you'd just pay the eBay / PayPal fees (totaling roughly 13% let's say for illustrative purposes);

--> Assuming your listing requires the buyer pay shipping, then after eBay & PayPal fees, your net sales proceeds would be around $30 x (1 - 13%) = $26.10

--> You might pay say $10 to ship it to CLink and a minimum fee of $5 (unless I'm mistaken), such that your net sales proceeds be $30 - $10 - $5 = $15

If you really wanted to sell on Clink you could bundle a lot of sub-$50 items into one box to spread the cost, then either put them on the exchange or an auction (or try the exchange for 6 months and then auction them). Either way might be safer than eBay considering the shenanigans there lately, but you won't be guaranteed a quick sale.

Why not just list the books on the exchange at $55 or $60 to avoid the fee? Someone can offer 50% of your asking price, so it could work if the book is worth at least $27-30.

That is good to know.

If you really wanted to sell on Clink you could bundle a lot of sub-$50 items into one box to spread the cost, then either put them on the exchange or an auction (or try the exchange for 6 months and then auction them). Either way might be safer than eBay considering the shenanigans there lately, but you won't be guaranteed a quick sale.

Why not just list the books on the exchange at $55 or $60 to avoid the fee? Someone can offer 50% of your asking price, so it could work if the book is worth at least $27-30.

In regards to your first comment, I used a similar approach to send some bulk relatively lower $ items to mycomicshop.com. I sent them the books, and then I set the buy it now prices for use on their website. They then list the books on eBay as well, marking up the buy it now price to cover any eBay fees (this increases the exposure for your items, and allows buyers to see the item on eBay and just go buy it from their website for less if they so choose). Fees are pretty low too: $5 for individual sales up to $50, then 10% for sales up to $299.99, then 7% for sales up to $2,999.99, then 4% thereafter. You can also move your fixed price listings to one of mycomicshops auctions if you decide to sell at auction (although their auctions don't provide for eBay exposure, I think they have a good sized audience and do well enough, although admittedly I haven't tried this).

I'm not personally familiar enough with CLink's fee structure on low $ items, other than what I've heard here and there to opine much more on all that, but I will say that if CLink is increasing total fees on lower $ items, then it may be that they determined that those items are a money loser for them after factoring in all costs associated with a sale and that they need to raise fees to cover costs/reasonable profit, or they may just be increasing fees to try to keep lower $ items from clogging up their new listings, as they may prefer to just focus on the sale of bigger books; only CLink knows for sure...

I believe Comic Link has a listing fee for items under $50 for the Comic Exchange. As many of us alluded to before, it takes an auction or commission site like Comic Link the exact same amount of time to process a payment for a $1,000 book versus a $100 book. The same could be said for $10,000 book versus a $1,000 book. As a result, many commission based web sites and auction houses are starting to implement minimums. This is most prominent in the antique collecting world, but is finally spreading to the collectibles world as well. The idea is to focus on the higher end items while ignoring the bottom end of the market. It is capitalism plain and simple. By allowing them to focus on higher ticket items they make much more money. Make no mistake; this is the same reason why eBay has made it harder for sellers who deal in lower priced items to compete and sell on their site in a fair manner. They did this by raising fees and charging final value fees on shipping.

In conclusion, all higher end auction companies are starting to implement lot minimums. I don't believe Christie's or Sotheby's will even touch an item below $5,000. However, that is an example of the extreme high end of the market. Other higher end auction houses are already at $250-$500 lot minimums. Frankly, I am surprised that Comic Link has not started to implement a minimum lot in their online auctions. I know several auction houses that will put lower priced items into one lot that equals the minimum 'lot amount' that they accept. This is based upon a final estimated selling price of the item. This is becoming more and more common. I always hoped that internet auctions would be immune to this practice because collectors of all budgets should be allowed to participate in any collecting field. Unfortunately, a lot of auction companies (online or not) disagree with my opinion for the reasons I already mentioned.