• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Future of Comic Book Collecting and the Baby Boomers

25 posts in this topic

If the market goes crazy bust, I'm going to enjoy buying a lot of sweet books at 70% off :whee:

+ 1000

I like the way you think Ryan. Bring on the Golden Age bust.

If the market goes crazy bust, I'm going to enjoy buying a lot of sweet books at 70% off :whee:

Judging by how many threads on speculation and investing are started in this forum alone, I do not think too many people will share in your enthusiasm. I could care regardless as I only buy books I like and only buy books less than $2000 each. Aside from a few books here and there, my collection is pretty much complete. That being said, back in 2008 to 2009 when the Bronze Age market was in free fall I didn't read too many threads from buyers on this forum celebrating that they could get books like TOD and Swamp Thing #1 in 9.8 for half their earlier highs. In fact, I read thread after thread of collectors wondering when the correction would end. It should also be noted that this forum lost a lot of members during this time frame. Ironically, when silver age prices started rising and the media reported on record breaking sales more recently, I could not help but notice how many newbies came here asking for 'investment advice.' There is nothing wrong with doing your homework and analyzing the market to protect your purchase. There is something wrong with expecting continual gains in any collecting field or market subject to speculation and manipulation.

Judging by how many threads on speculation and investing are started in this forum alone, I do not think too many people will share in your enthusiasm. I could care regardless as I only buy books I like and only buy books less than $2000 each. Aside from a few books here and there, my collection is pretty much complete. That being said, back in 2008 to 2009 when the Bronze Age market was in free fall I didn't read too many threads from buyers on this forum celebrating that they could get books like TOD and Swamp Thing #1 in 9.8 for half their earlier highs. In fact, I read thread after thread of collectors wondering when the correction would end. It should also be noted that this forum lost a lot of members during this time frame. Ironically, when silver age prices started rising and the media reported on record breaking sales more recently, I could not help but notice how many newbies came here asking for 'investment advice.' There is nothing wrong with doing your homework and analyzing the market to protect your purchase. There is something wrong with expecting continual gains in any collecting field or market subject to speculation and manipulation.

+infinity

dont think dealers will be dumping mess at pennies on the dollar if the market crashes. go to any con and see lots of dealers have the same, first price sticker they put on a book 10 years ago. they stick to that price no matter what with maybe a small price drop for package deals or whatever.

I was being facetious

This is never assumed on the Internet and your post gave me no reason to indicate you were not bring serious. Still, I have no reason to doubt your word. A lot of collectors unfortunately share the same view you portrayed. Ironically, when a market correction occurs, it is those same 'collectors' who ask 'why is the sky falling?' This is the same mentality that occurs on Wall Street. Unfortunately with collectibles there is mo guarantee that prices will ever again rise. Just ask any collector of Western themed toys or Beanie Baby speculators. Some are under the assumption that the correction that occurred within these markets is 'cyclical.' I am sorry, but a lot of collecting fields can and do die off as collectors age. This has already started to occur and is the reason why this thread was started in the first place.