• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Second eBay Auctions

17 posts in this topic

OK, so the first batch were a total wash! frown.gif

However, live and learn, I say!

All books have been relisted and another half dozen added, text has been cut down, flat rate shipping costs have been quoted (even though it'll cost me more to ship than stated) and opening bids have been reduced.

Some bargains to be had, so bid high and bid often!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZgwentleafQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

Or at least, just bid?

These are raw books, and none in super high grade. I think you're making a mistake starting them at anything more than $1.00. If you want to protect your investment, put a reserve in. But with most of these, quite frankly, you should just let it ride without a reserve.

FT, don't get discouraged. I've had weeks of nothing then something will surprise me. You just never know who is looking on any given day.

Been a slow summer but I've learned a lot, mostly that my moderns are worthless.

Never a truer word spoken, my man!

I go to work for the day, come back and....POOM!...I'm lousy with bids.

Well, four of them anyway, and the books are marked in about a dozen watch lists, according to my eBay.

I spend a week and not one sniff around any of them. Then I relist, add in a few more, and four bids in 18 hours.

In all honesty, the advice and support I've gotten here has been invaluable and has certainly contributed greatly to this turn-around. I'm more than experienced at selling retail, mail order and at shows, but on-line? Hopeless, until now. Thanks guys! flowerred.gif

First off I would like to applaud you with your detailed and honest descriptions of the faults with each of the comics in your sale on e-bay. I don't think I have seen anyone else do this.

However, perhaps, that is the problem...some people might just count the faults that you list, however minor, and think they are getting a bum deal.

Interestingly, no-one does this at a show. Sure, we can open up the comic and have a close look ourselves, but no dealer is going to give you an on-the-spot analysis of every tiny fault...it's just bad business.

Truly the only way is to let them buy the comic first, then realise the grade was as you specified, and then they will be back.

I would recommend that you dig out some more recent comics (e.g. late 70s), get your highest grade you have and let them go cheap (i.e. no reserve). You'll probably lose a bit of cash to begin with but you'll gain good feedback and then you can start throwing out the earlier stuff and start raking it in. Hopefully.

OK, that's an interesting way of looking at it....

At least half of what I'm describing is apparent from the scan, although with some of it, you have to be looking closely (light creases, for example). However, I'm trying to avoid the post-auction nightmare of 'I didn't realise it had a small rub at the bottom left' so I'm pointing it out. There are also people who, for example, only collect VF+ or better, but don't consider books with certain flaws that, whilst allowable in grade, are particular no-go areas for them.

But looking back over some of the descriptions, it can sound a bit like the book's a POS.

What's the opinion out there? Less detail, more reliance on scan? Or keep the descriptions flowing?

Some people love lengthy descriptions, but others, like me, can't be bothered to wade through them.

Assuming your grading is roughly in accordance with OS and you post nice big scans, let people make their own decisions. If you also offer a refund period for dissatisfied customers, what me worry?

[it is of course sensible to point out flaws that are invisible to the scan, like internal markings and such].

Flaming T.

I think your auctions design/description/info. is overral a very good one. It shows that you don't have 'anything to hide" concerning flaws/problems that the comics might have (it's much better to have extra info. than none).

only a remark, maybe the "blue letters" could be slightly bigger and why not chosing a lesser "flashy" colour...but overral a pretty good work, it invites the biddings you can bet on it wink.gif

regarding the "starting bidders", it won't harm you lowering them, because the big majority of what you have for sell is pretty much gorgeous stuff that usually don't need the "big initial push" from the high starting bids.

good work, regards.

Gary, I think my problem is that people will 'assume' that I know nothing about OS standards, as the books are being sold on eBay!

I'm trying to give them confidence that I know what I'm talking about and the only way I can see is by being very specific.

Somewhere down the line, when I have my own eBay customer base, and a sales related feedback that is impressive, the detail can to an extent fall by the wayside as people will trust what I have to say. One line and a grade will certainly cut down on the work I have to put in!

For now, though, I think I have to be very much in 'sell' mode.

Just MHO.

If it helps, you can use me (discountcomics) as a reference.

I think people tend to believe the worst on Ebay because there is so much fraud and overgrading going around.

I try to be honest about a book and give front and back cover scans. I haven't had a problem. Do I always get as much as I want? No, but I think that's the nature of the business.

Sometimes, I get frustrated at people with small scans get more money, but what can you do? I can give small scans and call everything 9.4+, but I wouldn't like myself then. insane.gif

OK, less than two days to go on 15 of these beauties! Thanks to the boarders who have thrown their hats into the ring and made bids! thumbsup2.gif It's appreciated, chaps!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZgwentleafQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

I'll be listing another batch on Sunday night, so those who are wondering whether to bid on anything and have to pay high shipping costs for the one book, there may be something else for you to combine with.

Also, I've got another 3,000 mid- to high-grade Silver & Bronze in the catalogue, which are always offered to boarders at 20% discount. Win an auction or two, throw in a couple of items from the catalogue, and suddenly, it all seems worthwhile! yay.gif