• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBay Item Grade Help

9 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I don't know if this is appropriate on these boards, so I thought I would ask first.

I'm thinking about picking up a UK pence copy of an X-Men book form eBay, but am concerned that it has been graded higher than it actually is.

If I was to post a link to the sale, or post the scanned images on the listing here, would someone be able to advise me?

I won't post yet in case this is frowned upon, can't break the rules on day two!

Paul.

Those blasted rusty staples. Without them I'd say 4.0-4.5

These look like the type that migrates to several inner pages, but unless the seller states if this is so, you (and we) have no way of knowing. If the migration is very bad, it could be as low as 3.0 IMHO

Does the seller have comments on this?

Hmmm....that's interesting, it's listed as an FN-

He mentions there are rusty staples, but not the extent.

Will rusty staples eventually just destroy the paper? That's the big issue for me I guess, I'm not overly fussed about resale, but it's always in the back of my mind.

So, UK Pence copies are still considered inferior?

If you were to put a price on it, what would you think is fair?

Thanks for your comments too, much appreciated :)

A general rule of thumb is pence copies are worth 50-75% of cents copies. If we take the 4.0 average so far that puts it at somewhere in the vicinity of $180 - $270. That said X-Men is definitely trending upward and it wouldn't surprise me to see it at the upper end of this. (Though a 4.5 pence copy sold for $200 last month.)

Hmmm....that's interesting, it's listed as an FN-

He mentions there are rusty staples, but not the extent.

Will rusty staples eventually just destroy the paper? That's the big issue for me I guess, I'm not overly fussed about resale, but it's always in the back of my mind.

So, UK Pence copies are still considered inferior?

If you were to put a price on it, what would you think is fair?

Thanks for your comments too, much appreciated :)

I don't know much about pricing pence copies, but I'd never consider this 5.5

Those blasted rusty staples. These look like the type that migrates to several inner pages, but unless the seller states if this is so, you (and we) have no way of knowing.

Without even getting into the minutia of grading, the staples would be my concern as well... and I'd be worried the cover could detach at one or both staples over time even with careful handling. Since it's a book fairly easily available in VGish grade, personally I would look for a different copy.