• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Stigma with restored books

139 posts in this topic

Here is a Batman 15 I picked up off CLINK a number of years ago. I got it for 1/6 guide. The book was just too beautiful to pass up on. The cover has been cleaned but other than that, very nice. No regrets on my part.

batman_15s.jpg

1/6 of guide....that is the game you play when you buy restored. The danger is spending too much on a restored book. Until CGC (not the) eliminates the" racial profiling" of comic books by labeling color, NOTHING IS SAFE.

At some point down the road the grading system is gonna have to reboot. One color, one nation under God.

When that happens, some form of price stability will occur and real value, not hype will control the market. If you pay 3x Guide for an unrestored 9.2. copy that is 18 TIMES the cost of a restored book.

I would limit any restored book INVESTMENT since you cant even touch or read the book to $250 MAX. If out of a CGC holder and you can read the book make it $400.

The grading system which does not count tape as repair, but allows spine realignment is going down, as well as other "currently undetectable " restoration.

and you the comic book collector, the true one is gonna pay in terms of potentially losing thousands of dollars on a 5K " restored" Bargain at 1/6 guide.

If I were a moderator on these boards I would delete this, and many of your other, post.

It is infuriating at times to read the tripe you type.

No matter how many times much more learned and passionate comic collectors than you inform you that we don't give a fat rat about what you think we should do, you continually tell us.

If you have the cake to buy unrestored Batman 1s and Tec 27s in 2013, not in the 70s, then congratulations on your financial success. All but a tiny fraction of this hobby do. The rest of us are quite happy to buy restored copies of these big books rather than not having them at all

But I don't expect you to understand Mitch, because if you were ever a comic collector that collected for the love of comics, you certainly are not one now

My opinion is backed by MARKET prices...just the facts and figures. The restored book went on a open market and a major auction house and got 1/6 of guide. Sir, that is a FACT.

You could of bought it for 1/5 of guide and you do not.

I think in this type of market conditions you can say there clearly is more stability on the unrestored side. When you buy restored, you buy "las vegas" or anything can happen.

I did not bid on the book and you did not win it either, I am not the villain here, the market is. I want to erase the purple, green and blue label. What is so bad about that. You would then see less 18X price difference. You then would see tape called for what it really is....repair

You might of sunk 100 K restored books, why encourage somebody else, a new rebirth collector buy something that is very unstable.

The over all comic book market needs stability and for what it is worth, Overstreet did just that for more years than the CGC and built the foundation of a stable price collectors market. The CGC (sorry about that) came in and said, if this book is in our container...it is worth 2x or 10x market price. No real value was created other than a third party saying the book has not been restored or been caught.

You do not have to buy restored, you can buy the reprints and enjoy reading the book, and not make an investment in them.

Your anger should be directed at the persons or companys that over hype value based on label. Just because of some cover retouching should a white page purple label book be worth 18 times less, I think not. I know the current market reality is unrestored is the SAFEST way to by a GA/SA collectors comic book for investment or collecting. That is the way of life today and the comic book market has clearly spoken.

I am not saying do not buy any restored comic books, I am merely saying for INVESTMENT do not buy them. There are 1000's of GREAT GA/SA restored books under $400 bucks.

If that opinion makes me not a true comic book collector, then I suggest you take it up with 1000's of other collectors who have bought and paid a premium for unrestored books since CGC has come onto the comic book market and established what is or is not restored.

PS: One Color label- which confirms it is a original comic book.

Grading 1-10....with any kind of repair or restoration considered when grading including pressing, taping, staple repair etc.

Have CGC make a small charge to change out the plastic container and shipping costs and we have a better comic book world......a real sanity for price difference will slowly change back to normal market conditions and evolve into a safe and stable market for all comic book collectors.

If you mean that a blue label book will appreciate faster than a purple label book? and if you are trying to make money on the books, MAYBE you have a point...but they probably go up proportionally, with the purple label being less of an investment and Bill is right on point, there are few collectors who have that kind of cash...and these people don't view comics as a type of CD..

What's really scaring me is I think I understand what you are saying about the label I would love to see one label with a detailed grading explanation. I think it would solve many problems for collectors. No grade points for twisting, shrinking and otherwise unnecessarily torturing perfectly lovely books.

That would solve the problem of people who don't understand what restoration was done, too.

What really drives me crazy is seeing a green llabel 7.0 MISSING a centerfold....what's 7.0 about a book that is incomplete?

One label, guaranteeing it's a genuine comic with the following defects would make me as a collector, very happy...however, it's not going to happen.

CGC makes money having more resubs...and if there really is going to be a new label for "conserved" comics, it's going to start all over again with purple books being resubbed to get hot pink, or whatever color they chose.

BTW, kudos to Bill for a non sexist rant ..."cake" ...I love it:) :foryou:

...... Let CGC use the old DC checkerboard pattern for their new label, oh please, oh please :whee::whee: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Batman Fan...... I will publically offer you 1/2 OSPG for the Batman 15 ..... though it may take a couple of payments. ..... that would be what ? ..... a 300% profit on your "investment"

Good thread with good discussion.

What I find most interesting about restored versus unrestored is S(a) color touch versus a book with writing on it. A dot of color touch and the book is crushed yet someone can write a phone number on a book and it is okay. blue label. Somehow the market dictates that the ugly blue label is worth much more. Has never made any sense to me.

I am always looking for S(a) color touch restored books. I feel they are a great value.

What really drives me crazy is seeing a green llabel 7.0 MISSING a centerfold....what's 7.0 about a book that is incomplete?

The people who really get burned by the green label are inexperienced buyers who don't realize how big of a deal something like a missing centerfold is. They see a 7.0 green (staples cleaned) sell for close to guide, and then they pay close to guide for a 7.0 green (missing centerfold). It's kind of sad.

Here is a Batman 15 I picked up off CLINK a number of years ago. I got it for 1/6 guide. The book was just too beautiful to pass up on. The cover has been cleaned but other than that, very nice. No regrets on my part.

batman_15s.jpg

1/6 of guide....that is the game you play when you buy restored. The danger is spending too much on a restored book. Until CGC (not the) eliminates the" racial profiling" of comic books by labeling color, NOTHING IS SAFE.

At some point down the road the grading system is gonna have to reboot. One color, one nation under God.

When that happens, some form of price stability will occur and real value, not hype will control the market. If you pay 3x Guide for an unrestored 9.2. copy that is 18 TIMES the cost of a restored book.

I would limit any restored book INVESTMENT since you cant even touch or read the book to $250 MAX. If out of a CGC holder and you can read the book make it $400.

The grading system which does not count tape as repair, but allows spine realignment is going down, as well as other "currently undetectable " restoration.

and you the comic book collector, the true one is gonna pay in terms of potentially losing thousands of dollars on a 5K " restored" Bargain at 1/6 guide.

If I were a moderator on these boards I would delete this, and many of your other, post.

No matter how many times much more learned and passionate comic collectors than you inform you that we don't give a fat rat about what you think we should do, you continually tell us.

If you have the cake to buy unrestored Batman 1s and Tec 27s in 2013, not in the 70s, then congratulations on your financial success. All but a tiny fraction of this hobby do. The rest of us are quite happy to buy restored copies of these big books rather than not having them at all

But I don't expect you to understand Mitch, because if you were ever a comic collector that collected for the love of comics, you certainly are not one now

My opinion is backed by MARKET prices...just the facts and figures. The restored book went on a open market and a major auction house and got 1/6 of guide. Sir, that is a FACT.

I think in this type of market conditions you can say there clearly is more stability on the unrestored side. When you buy restored, you buy "las vegas" or anything can happen.

I did not bid on the book and you did not win it either, I am not the villain here, the market is. I want to erase the purple, green and blue label. What is so bad about that. You would then see less 18X price difference. You then would see tape called for what it really is....repair

You might of sunk 100 K restored books, why encourage somebody else, a new rebirth collector buy something that is very unstable.

The over all comic book market needs stability and for what it is worth, Overstreet did just that for more years than the CGC and built the foundation of a stable price collectors market. The CGC (sorry about that) came in and said, if this book is in our container...it is worth 2x or 10x market price. No real value was created other than a third party saying the book has not been restored or been caught.

You do not have to buy restored, you can buy the reprints and enjoy reading the book, and not make an investment in them.

Your anger should be directed at the persons or companys that over hype value based on label. Just because of some cover retouching should a white page purple label book be worth 18 times less, I think not. I know the current market reality is unrestored is the SAFEST way to by a GA/SA collectors comic book for investment or collecting. That is the way of life today and the comic book market has clearly spoken.

I am not saying do not buy any restored comic books, I am merely saying for INVESTMENT do not buy them. There are 1000's of GREAT GA/SA restored books under $400 bucks.

If that opinion makes me not a true comic book collector, then I suggest you take it up with 1000's of other collectors who have bought and paid a premium for unrestored books since CGC has come onto the comic book market and established what is or is not restored.

Grading 1-10....with any kind of repair or restoration considered when grading including pressing, taping, staple repair etc.

Have CGC make a small charge to change out the plastic container and shipping costs and we have a better comic book world......a real sanity for price difference will slowly change back to normal market conditions and evolve into a safe and stable market for all comic book collectors.

If you mean that a blue label book will appreciate faster than a purple label book? and if you are trying to make money on the books, MAYBE you have a point...but they probably go up proportionally, with the purple label being less of an investment and Bill is right on point, there are few collectors who have that kind of cash...and these people don't view comics as a type of CD..

What's really scaring me is I think I understand what you are saying about the label I would love to see one label with a detailed grading explanation. I think it would solve many problems for collectors. No grade points for twisting, shrinking and otherwise unnecessarily torturing perfectly lovely books.

That would solve the problem of people who don't understand what restoration was done, too.

One label, guaranteeing it's a genuine comic with the following defects would make me as a collector, very happy...however, it's not going to happen.

CGC makes money having more resubs...and if there really is going to be a new label for "conserved" comics, it's going to start all over again with purple books being resubbed to get hot pink, or whatever color they chose.

...... Let CGC use the old DC checkerboard pattern for their new label, oh please, oh please :whee::whee: GOD BLESS....

P.S. Batman Fan...... I will publically offer you 1/2 OSPG for the Batman 15 ..... though it may take a couple of payments. ..... that would be what ? ..... a 300% profit on your "investment"

Thanks for the offer, but I have to respectfully decline. It is just way too nice and if we ever run out of toilet paper, it should work quite nicely. Those restored books are so soft and supple :cloud9:

This is just another example of why Mitch is such and buffoon (I think that is his official board name). He just doesn't understand that on a % bases, restored books have much more potential. :facepalm:

The people who really get burned by the green label are inexperienced buyers who don't realize how big of a deal something like a missing centerfold is. They see a 7.0 green (staples cleaned) sell for close to guide, and then they pay close to guide for a 7.0 green (missing centerfold). It's kind of sad.

This is exactly why having restored books in blue labels will result in uneducated buyers being raped. There will definitely be a long list of sellers taking advantage of them.

This is exactly why having restored books in blue labels will result in uneducated buyers being raped. There will definitely be a long list of sellers taking advantage of them.

True. What a nice way to welcome new collectors to the hobby.

batman_15s.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but I have to respectfully decline. It is just way too nice and if we ever run out of toilet paper, it should work quite nicely. Those restored books are so soft and supple :cloud9:

This is just another example of why Mitch is such and buffoon (I think that is his official board name). He just doesn't understand that on a % bases, restored books have much more potential. :facepalm:

...... yup, the price is lower so the buyer's pool is larger, while the scarcity remains virtually the same. The problem with the current views are the "one size fits all" approach to a market analysis of PLODS....... It just isn't , nor will it ever be, like that. It must always be a book by book evaluation. No amount of number crunching or lazy generalizations will change that. Ironically, this makes Mitch correct, ironically, to single out a restored GL 11 as a poor investment choice..... but so is it's blue label counterpart..... so that's just a lawyer's refute.....only highlighting the corresponding element. Still, it leaves me hope that MM shall one day see the light ....GOD BLESS...

batman_15s.jpg

If this were Facebook, I'd hit "like".

It's an interesting time to be education yourself on the topic, as it's all about to change. Very soon, we'll have the "conserved" label, and the level of resto on PLODS will be more detailed than simply slight-mod-ext.

I'm interested in whether there will be less stigma, and higher prices paid, for books with the conserved label. I'm also curious as to whether the existence of the conserved label will further stigmatize PLODs. Now, not only are they restored, they're restoration has been designated as going beyond conservation.

Should be interesting.

Just as I'm getting a grasp on this. :pullhair:

batman_15s.jpg

So, here's a perfect example. Gorgeous book, no colour touch, no tear seals, no pieces added, just the cover cleaned.

As always, I suppose, it's going to come down to what you're okay with (as far as resto goes) and what you're not okay with. It seems that I'm alright with the cover being cleaned, because that book is just smokin! Maybe that's really frowned upon by the next guy, though. Then that brings us to how to price it.....

b_f bought it for 1/6 of guide, probably through an auction. He's just been offered 1/2 guide and turned it down. So, when one is pricing a book with restoration, does it only come down to what the seller wants for it and if there's a buyer that'll pay it?

If you're the seller, and you're not going through the auction route, you have to set a price. For those with experience pricing PLODs, what are the steps?

• Check price paid?
    Check GPA?
    Check OSPG?

With Overstreet, is 1/4 of guide standard? 1/3? Or is there no standard at all and it differs from book to book, type of resto to type of resto?

Again, excuse the questions, but this is just my ignorance on the subject.

Thanks,

Andy

Book by book Andy...... always. Otherwise you screw yourself. An Amazing Man 22 with Sl (p) will go for 5X guide..... a GL 11 (shrug) maybe a hundred bucks ? GOD BLESS.....

batman_15s.jpg

...... yup, the price is lower so the buyer's pool is larger, while the scarcity remains virtually the same. The problem with the current views are the "one size fits all" approach to a market analysis of PLODS....... It just isn't , nor will it ever be, like that. It must always be a book by book evaluation. No amount of number crunching or lazy generalizations will change that. Ironically, this makes Mitch correct, ironically, to single out a restored GL 11 as a poor investment choice..... but so is it's blue label counterpart..... so that's just a lawyer's refute.....only highlighting the corresponding element. Still, it leaves me hope that MM shall one day see the light ....GOD BLESS...

With the end in sight of print media, I would contend that the unrestored book will decrease less in value and demand as our comic book collecting market shrinks when the new young generation comes of buying age.

I would not recommend buying GA 11 but if you did , I would recommend it be unrestored to keep the best chance of not losing every penny you put in it.

Also demand is going down due to the money drain that OA is taking away from GA/SA comic book collecting.

I am not the villain, monkey, or otherwise. If you cannot take the facts as man or as collector and put you head in the sand, so be it.

The market is speaking here, not me...18x restored vs unrestored is out of whack.

To tell a new collector to get in the middle of this mess is just plain WRONG.

The only thing a true comic book collector can do when they want to make an INVESTMENT is run, not walk to the safety of unrestored CGC comic books in this crazy press happy, face job world of comic book collecting.

I think the real argument here is investment. I define as over $500 when buying a comic book that you cannot read, touch, feel or smell. Folks, CGC has done a heck of lot of good, they need to mannup and take chance and wipe the slate clean of all these pressers and flippers who are trying soak every penny out of true collectors by playing the cgc game of upgrade and the color of a label.

What really turned me against restoration was the discovery that dealers were routinely selling restored books as unrestored. That was back in the late 80s or early 90s - pre CGC. (That's when I learned about it; I'm sure it had been going on much longer.) I started to think of restoration as part of a scam - a tool used by opportunists to try to cheat collectors.

I am not against all restoration - I believe it's appropriate for scarce books that are only in the POOR to FAIR or even GOOD range, i.e. books that are falling apart and need intervention to save them from the recycling bin.

It does not make any sense to me for restoration to add significant value to a book. I think Overstreet used to say that the value of a restored book was half way between the old grade and the new grade. I never agreed with that position, which in theory would have meant that you could spend a few hundred dollars to restore a low grade key and add thousands of dollars in value.

At best, I could see restoration adding value equal to the cost of the restoration.

Now, I prefer unrestored books because for me, the romance in collecting comes from holding or looking at something that has survived 50, 60, or 70 years in nice condition. I don't get the same thrill looking at a restored book. I don't believe I feel like I'm "too good" to own restored books, I just don't want to spend what little money I make on something that doesn't move me.

I would imagine that the market for restored books consists primarily of people who will take any copy, even restored - especially if the restored book can be had for a bargain - in order to finish a run or snag a scarce personal grail as well as people who cannot afford unrestored keys but are willing to settle for restored versions rather than going without.

There may be a few collectors who want every book to look as pretty as possible and aren't bothered by restoration at all, but I think those wholly-unromantic aesthetes are few and far between.

I should also point out that not all restoration is created equal. I think cleaning or replacing staples in order to prevent them from staining a book is appropriate, and I don't particularly mind archival tear seals. I do think all restoration, including pressing, should be disclosed.

Thanks for posting. (thumbs u

It's interesting the different ways that you can theoretically come up with a value for a book. I'll have to check my OSPG and see if they still mention that.