• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to admit your worst "speculator" Blunder ?

154 posts in this topic

Found a Box of "moderns" I had stashed away..

In the box I had quite a few fun comics, lots of early 90's stuff X-Men.

Wolverine, Spawn( sorry.gif) Batman, JLA, etc..

And I came accross a stack of around 30 copies of First Print.. Batman #497.. where Bane Breaks Batman.

About 10 years ago..I was at at a local Meijer( Supermarket Superstore).. and I had only recently started to collect comics again.

So I see all kinds of Bagged comics in a bin.. .. as I dig around.. I see Turok, Leifeld cr@hp , Baddrock.. etc..

And then I see a stack of Batman #497, B&W outer covers.. for 50 cents each!

So I buy all of them... (around 35 copies).. thinking someday I could sell them for alot of money.

I get home with my stack of Batmans.. look at overstreet.. and Wizard..

greedily licking my chops..... planning all the things I would do with my new found cash.. similar to Homer Simpson when he finds all that sugar.

Anyhow.. I dont need to tell you.. I still have many, many(ok... all) of those Batmans left.

And had a really good laugh at how much I have learned about comics since that day.. and how much I still need to learn.

Although.. I still have hopes for the 10 copies of Wolverine #100 Hologram cover I bought off the rack....my daughter needs new shoes 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anybody brave enough to share a speculator Blunder?

Ze-

I'm a sucker for the foil, holo, die-cut, variant covers. I just enjoy them as any of my comics. I have never bought more than one copy though. I have often thought about speculating on multiple copies, but have never followed through.

It would be hard to imagine picking 10 or more copies of a SA major key book from the newsstand. cloud9.gif

Umm...In thinking about it more, I probably have about 9 copies of Youngblood #1, although these were when I purchased a long box from someone.

I'm a sucker for the foil, holo, die-cut, variant covers.Umm...In thinking about it more, I probably have about 9 copies of Youngblood #1, although these were when I purchased a long box from someone.

Me too.. in the midst of all "Bad Girl" comics.. that Wolvie #100 Holo cover stood out like a beacon, in a fog of trash.

And I ..err.. own..err....(bought ) 3 copies of Youngblood #1 ,years ago.. sorry.gif

ZeMan 5 copies of PHAZED I will be happy to send one to any that can name who drew it.

(please any one) ( no really ) (ok ......but wassssssooo..... sorry.gif)

I can't even tell you who published it, let alone who drew it. insane.gif

I'm a sucker for the foil, holo, die-cut, variant covers.Umm...In thinking about it more, I probably have about 9 copies of Youngblood #1, although these were when I purchased a long box from someone.

Me too.. in the midst of all "Bad Girl" comics.. that Wolvie #100 Holo cover stood out like a beacon, in a fog of trash.

And I ..err.. own..err....(bought ) 3 copies of Youngblood #1 ,years ago.. sorry.gif

WIZARD # 157 NOV 2004 page 155 Wolverine # 100 A Holo listed as HOT @ $12.00 each!!!

Sell them all that would be $120.00!!

WIZARD # 157 NOV 2004 page 155 Wolverine # 100 A Holo listed as HOT @ $12.00 each!!!

Sell them all that would be $120.00!!

Really?

HOT.. kewl.. headbang.gif

Wow.. so if I slab them.. get 9.6 grades.. I can retire!!!!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

27_laughing.gif

I knew I was smart!!!

Ze--

I'd say Turok 1, Ninjak 1, Secret Life Of Dr. Mirage 1, Shadowman 16 (don't ask), and some other hyped-up and badly written post-Unity Valiants that are sitting in a box somewhere, unread and unwanted.

Apart from that, some Darkchylde variants from 1998 (thanks to fellow dealer Tim O' Donnell for that recommendation - I still haven't forgiven him), along with similar worthless Liefeld-esque Image junk from the same era.

It's the sort of stuff you have to sell at a loss the moment the market turns on that tripe - I still have the odd issue of Battle Chasers, Coven, Ascension, Stone, Evil Ernie and of course Gen 13 lurking somewhere. Some may even be on my site, so make me an offer, gentlemen........

A ton of Pacific Comics.........including 5 or 6 copies each of Kirby's Captain Victory, Adams' Ms. Mystic 1&2. These have made nice gifts to nephews and neighbor kids over the last couple of years.

I also had about a dozen copies of Byrne's Silver Surfer one-shot. Still got a number of them.

"Be One with the Hive Mind!" ...... I love Kirby's writing! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif