• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to admit your worst "speculator" Blunder ?

154 posts in this topic

Let's see...

250 Spirits of Vengeance #1

100 Spirits of Vengeance #2

25 of just about every post-Unity Valiant

50 Predator v. Magnus (but got the Platnium)

10 copies of every ASM and X-Men from '92-'94

10 Warriors of Plasm

20 Bloodfire #1

10 Bloodfire #2

5-10 of most early Image books

Lots of comic cards

I was getting a/b a 50% discount so it's not as bad as it looks. Most of this stuff ended up going to Half-Price Books for $10/box. The rest (4 long boxes) went to Lighthouse in trade for a Night Nurse #1. They sat on a shelf in his back room for at least a year marked "Jeff's cr@pé". Personally I think I came out on the better end of that deal.

It is pure Blutobc stuff. During the buildup to Avengers 500 and the thought of some of the team biting the dust, I was thinking of how Ultron was about the worst mistake they made. It's like every comic book scientist feels he must build this thinking robot with the understanding that it will NEVER - EVER - NEVER turn against him....Yeah right. No wonder Hank Pym is a loon. How many deaths is he responsible for over the years?

As far as thinking robots I'll take Asamov's(sp?) "3 laws of robotics" stories anyday.

Dr. Susan Calvin would be proud! thumbsup2.gif

What bothers me the most is that I really hated reading those early Image, Valiant, Defiant and Malibu comic books. Halfway through the book I felt sick to my stomach, but forced myself to finish reading it while thinking of something else. I should have known that the only reason people bought these books was due to profit speculation, the enhanced chromium covers, and of course - the enhanced cleavage!

I still have a long box full of Byrne Man of Steel 1s somewhere. I thought it was a CAN'T MISS proposition. Well. It missed.

Oh , I completely forgot about that one! I think I have 3-5 copies of every issue, including the variant #1. I wonder why it never took off. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've got about two shortboxes of the 1980s Marvel Secret Wars I and II I bought when I was a young teenager. WOW, I sure did have my finger squarely on the pulse of the market!!! blush.gif

Great stories all... now if we can only get them to make movies out of all our "Blunder " titles.. then we can cash in. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

After reading many of the posts here, makes me wonder if I should have posted this in the Modern Forum. foreheadslap.gif we all seem to have had our share of misguided wisdom in that era of comics.

Anybody buy alot of the Marvel -vs- DC series ?

How bout BLUE SUPERMAN?

ohh.. and we can always pick on that Spawn guy.... makepoint.gif

I still am waiting to hear from people that made Bronze Blunders...if there are any..

How bout Super Villian Team Up #1?

And I see I was not alone when I sought out Chrome copies of Battle Chasers. #1.

I own 6 copies of #2 foreheadslap.gif(which I still think could have been a great Title.. was Ramos just lazy?)

And I thought I was super special when I got my copies of Victory.. and Ms. Mystic... yay.gif

Misery loves company.. so keep the stories coming..

Ze-

After reading many of the posts here, makes me wonder if I should have posted this in the Modern Forum. foreheadslap.gif we all seem to have had our share of misguided wisdom in that era of comics.

Many of these mistakes are actually from the "Copper" age. Most everything from Copper on up still isn't old enough, rare enough, or in-demand enough to have been much of an investment.

Many of these mistakes are actually from the "Copper" age. Most everything from Copper on up still isn't old enough, rare enough, or in-demand enough to have been much of an investment.

So do you mean that there's still hope for my Defiant and Malibu Comic books.

yay.gif

Not yet 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Not yet 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

On the one hand, Copper could go the way that Bronze is going. Everyone though Bronze would be worthless due to oversupply, increased speculation, Robert Bell bags and boards, and mediocre stories. It turns out the pessimists were wrong about Bronze, so couldn't they be just as wrong about Copper? confused-smiley-013.gif Since I started collecting during the Copper age, this argument holds some biased personal appeal to me.

On the other hand, it's true that there WERE many more speculators in the 1980s than there were in the 1970s, much better preservation (many companies making bags), and that the birth of the direct market dramatically increased the supply directly to people who took good care of their comics. There were also some definite great titles, characters, and storylines in the Copper age, although I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree and say it was all crapola.

So who knows? One thing I always wonder is at what rate high grade material disappears from the planet every year, whether it be due to destruction of the comic (such as by throwing it away) or by mishandling. Hard to put a measurement on that, but Copper books are definitely a lot easier to find right now than Bronze.

I had been a part time dealer to support my early collecting habit. After the birth of my first kid I pretty much stopped doing shows for years.

I started buying my comics through Mile High's "Nice service" I started buying multiples of a bunch of comics I thought were a good "investment in inventory". 2 or 3 at a time at first. I was also getting about 50 titles regularly so I was getting almost a 50% off cover price. I was also charging them it so it was easy to get the books and then pay for them later.

I ordered 5-10's or more of many "HOT" books like the Unity books and the spidey hologram covers. I made a big jump with 100 of the wolvie and then "Death of Superman" book I ordered 100 also. FOr some reason the tacticts of DC caused me to stop entirely pre ordering from MARVEL screwy.gif

Anyway I pretty much stopped speculating in new books after that. But the Profit in the black bagged death issue bought for 1.25 each and sold over the years for between 10-15 paid for most of the other inventoryI still have from my speculation. I still have a couple but sold of the last 5 other ones on ebay for $5 each about 4 years ago.

613990-supes75.jpg.d788805aefe1f06e8f884bd7c7360ac8.jpg

Here's how I look at it. I have over 1500 comic books (Marvel, D.C., Image, Valiant, etc.) from post 1990. Most of which are bagged, boarded and are in NM condition. I have two choices, either sell these books at 25% of the cover price and make a measely $300 or $400, or just let them sit in the corner of my basement, like they have been for the past 10 years. I was a little worried that since I haven't replaced their bags in 8 years that the books would deteriorate. However, I just sent an Amazing Spider-Man #330 that I had purchased 13 years ago from a LCS, and received a 9.8 grade with White Pages from CGC. Therefore, I'll just let them sit there and hope that at least a handful of them make it big 10 years from now.

You should probably replace the bags and boards about every 5 years (I'm not sure - just throwing a # out of my 893censored-thumb.gif). The acid (esp from the boards) will start to deterioate the comic's outside and inside covers. Believe me, I know. frown.gif

You should probably replace the bags and boards about every 5 years (I'm not sure - just throwing a # out of my 893censored-thumb.gif). The acid (esp from the boards) will start to deterioate the comic's outside and inside covers. Believe me, I know. frown.gif

That's o.k., just as long as my Malibu Comics Hardcase #1 doesn't ruin the $0.05 backing board. frown.gif

Worst "investment" would be the several hundred X-men#1s

I bought and still have.

I bought 60 cases of Byrnes Superman #1,but had most of them pre-sold. I sold 35 cases(approx 10,000) to my UPS driver.About a year later,he tried to sell them back to me to pay for his divorce lawyer. I always wondered if the two events were somehow related.

Only Image books I went big on were the 1963 books. Alan Moore,superheroes and Image-what was not to like.

Did buy a couple of cases of the first Spawn toys.They are still sitting unopened in my warehouse.