• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forever People #1 posted by B. Koski

9 posts in this topic

The first appearance of Darkseid has been long disputed, but the plurality seem to favor Forever People 1.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5959687

Over the last few years I've really grown to appreciate Kirby's Fourth World. Pick up the Omnibus volumes and read the saga through in order and prepare your mind to be blown away!

That looks like a great copy you've got there, some stress around the staples but otherwise the white background cover looks pretty clean. Just from the front cover scan I would've guessed higher than a 6.

Actually, the first appearance is not Forever People 1, but Jimmy Olsen 134. Similar to Hulk 180 with Wolverine, Darkseid has a small cameo only in one panel on the last page, but it is his first appearance, nonetheless.

I find Kirby had much more artistic creativity with DC than he had with Marvel. HE COULD WRITE..........He was complicated, from what I gather, and if anyone wants to add any more to this...........What book Is Kirby Free In?

Kamandi

any duals?

(and I know I will lose)....let us hear them

Darkseid's appearance in Jimmy Olsen 134 is similar to Wolverine in Hulk 180, which is why people say Wolverine's first appearance was in Hulk 181. Is there a difference between "first appearance," "first full appearance," and "first cameo appearance?" Generally yes. But you are correct, the first time a drawing of Darkseid was printed in comics it was Jimmy Olsen 134.

***Borrowed from the thread I linked above...

Darkseid's only appearance in JO 134:

41862-1stDarkseid.jpg

*** So a face on a video screen, and a menacing description. Pretty minor, but yes it is the first Darkseid.

DC's editorial at the time had Superman's face redrawn to be more stylistically similar to what was drawn in the other Superman family books. I guess they weren't sure if kids would get it, just based on the blue suit, red cape, red/yellow S, and everyone calling him Superman.

For a cheap thrill, check out the full-Kirby Superman cover on DC Comics Presents 84, and imagine what might have been!

DC_Comics_Presents_84.jpg

Jimmy #134 is recognised by CGC and recognised by pricing to be Darkseids 1st.

As someone said, you can buy as many Hulk #180 as you like, but the market speaks with $, and the $ say Hulk #181.

Same with Jimmy vs Forever People.

People are now paying $1000+ for a HG copy of Jimmy #134 - the die has been cast.

Sorry.

I'm willing to concede that the two panels in Jimmy Olsen 134 do serve as a solid introduction to the character; you get that he's the big bad behind it all, and an approximate image despite the poor coloring. It is in-story and not obscured by shadow or whatever, like some of the other disputed first appearances (Apocalypse in X-Factor 5/6, Venom in Amazing Spider-man 299/300, Galactus in FF 48/49, and on and on).

And yes, I'm willing to concede that the collectors have determined that Jimmy Olsen 134 is the Darkseid appearance they want to pursue. But I also remember when Cable was the hottest character and Uncanny X-Men 201 was touted as Cable's first appearance... as a baby, totally unrecognizeable as the partially cybernetic guy with all the pouches. Collectors don't always make these decisions objectively. I wonder about the relative print runs of Jimmy Olsen 134 and Forever People 1? Maybe Forever People 1 is just easier to find.

But I would also like to mention that I think the gap between the price of Hulk 180 and 181 is closing a bit. The high price of 181 leads Wolverine fans with less cash to look for more affordable early keys, so 180 and 182 are getting a bit more interest. I wonder if high prices for Jimmy Olsen 134 will cause a rise in Forever People 1 and New Gods 2?

Either way, good discussion of some Bronze Age classics. Darkseid is!