• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is better? SS exclusive opps or book limits?

188 posts in this topic

Can you clearly tell? What about the huge fan with 50 different books but has one book he definitely intends to sell two of them to cover the grading fees?

Or the deadpool fan who has had 30 copies for 20 years, but wants to keep 20 and sell ten? Is lie fled qualified to judge this guy ? What if his kid has cancer and these are his investments? There's just too many potential grey areas to judge in my opinion. They can do what they want, but no one should believe it's completely black and white

There is no grey area. When you have anything authenticated, at some point you are putting a value on it. If it wasn't about value, the book would be kept raw. Also there's nothing wrong with making a profit if thats what you want to do but don't mask your intentions. There's a reason you have the book in a bag and board with a cut out window.

When you have anything authenticated, at some point you are putting a value on it. If it wasn't about value, the book would be kept raw.

This is not true.

Also there's nothing wrong with making a profit if thats what you want to do but don't mask your intentions. There's a reason you have the book in a bag and board with a cut out window.

This implication is also not true.

The point is, that stack of 100 books belongs to that one fan. Those stack of books shows his support for Perez through all the years. If it was just about money, creators could set up their own signings with no middle man. They wanna meet and great fans. Give the creators credit for knowing whose who because you can clearly tell

Sorry, no. Regardless of whether you are collecting or selling it is the people who show up and monopolize creators time that is the problem. I have yet to meet anyone in any walk of life that didn't appreciate a heads up and the option of deciding whether they wish to be involved.

There is no grey area. When you have anything authenticated, at some point you are putting a value on it. If it wasn't about value, the book would be kept raw. Also there's nothing wrong with making a profit if thats what you want to do but don't mask your intentions. There's a reason you have the book in a bag and board with a cut out window.

Yeah, I can't wait to clock fat stacks off my Elliot S! Maggin, Marty Pasko, Steve Skeates and Danny Fingeroth SS.

I am in it for the Value!!!!

Again, no. None of your conclusions are fact. It is this type of narrow thinking that has, in part, led to our current situation. Unfortunately it seems CGC is fine with separating themselves as a service for sellers and not for fans. It is starting to look like a "fan" would not use CGC. I think this is a shame.

To answer the OP, personally, I think exclusive opps for SS would work just fine. Sort of like what McFarlane does. No SS at conventions, but he does a private SS signing once a year.

........I think it's fair.

When you have anything authenticated, at some point you are putting a value on it. If it wasn't about value, the book would be kept raw.

This is not true.

Also there's nothing wrong with making a profit if thats what you want to do but don't mask your intentions. There's a reason you have the book in a bag and board with a cut out window.

So then why have the book authenticated? If you know it was sign by who ever, why would you need anyone else to know

That happens to me all the time. Some lovely con-goer with a short box is always in line ahead of me just to have a strict book limit enforced. I've facilitated some shows in the past where my CAW has asked why, when I say no more than 20 books at a time. Sometimes I go lower and self impose a limit. I no longer work with those CAW's.

Yeah, I can't wait to clock fat stacks off my Elliot S! Maggin, Marty Pasko, Steve Skeates and Danny Fingeroth SS.

Then why not keep the book raw or hey have a green label, why must it say the person name on the label

This is not true.

So then why have the book authenticated? If you know it was sign by who ever, why would you need anyone else to know

Here's one reason

http://www.cgccomics.com/registry/index.asp

And using your logic then why care about condition? Why care about 1st prints? Variants? Comics vs TPB vs HC's?

Then why not keep the book raw or hey have a green label, why must it say the person name on the label

Why not?

So basically ... you're now the arbiter of how other people should collect comics? Thanks for shouldering that burden for all of us (worship)

Again, no. None of your conclusions are fact. It is this type of narrow thinking that has, in part, led to our current situation. Unfortunately it seems CGC is fine with separating themselves as a service for sellers and not for fans. It is starting to look like a "fan" would not use CGC. I think this is a shame.

That's just not true.

CGC is doing everything they can behind the scenes to ensure that both the fans & the creators are happy, but, ultimately, if a creator tells CGC that their signings have to be handled a certain way, what's CGC supposed to do?

You an collect however you like but don't act like money or values doesn't come into the picture. When we all fill out our CGC forms and they ask you what the value is I'm pretty sure 90% of us write the max of $200.

Wow. Just...wow.

I'm shocked at the distance of the divide between what you think you know and what you actually know.

You an collect however you like but don't act like money or values doesn't come into the picture. When we all fill out our CGC forms and they ask you what the value is I'm pretty sure 90% of us write the max of $200.

lol

Dude, you really have no idea.

My SS collection wouldn't even pay for the fees. lol

I sell quite a bit but I also collect and you are completely out to lunch with your assumptions.

That's just not true.

CGC is doing everything they can behind the scenes to ensure that both the fans & the creators are happy, but, ultimately, if a creator tells CGC that their signings have to be handled a certain way, what's CGC supposed to do?

Much like the turn around times I have seen nothing in the results to draw any other conclusion. There is plenty that could be done that does not appear to be a priority.